iPad apps similar to TI?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ninjaman65

Ninjaman65

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

As a new iPad owner I was curious to know if there are any good iPad games out there that are similar in nature to Twilight Imperium?

#2 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Due to the complexity level of TI3 I doubt it. I am, however, but a lowly Android user so I might be wrong.

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#3 Phoenixx

Phoenixx

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

there are several andriod apps out there…

#4 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

None that I've found that is up to par with TI3.

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#5 Fenris_Chosen

Fenris_Chosen

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

None so far, but from what I hear, there is an Eclipse app in the works.  While it might not (not for me) scratch the itch for TI, it's still a good game.  

#6 Seren

Seren

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'm a hopeless addict. The best iPad app I've found for space strategy is Starbase Orion. It plays like other 4x games you've tried on the PC. Ascendancy isn't bad either, a bit retro but okay.

TI3 must make a showing in this arena. I think it would be huge for the community and great fun to boot. Sure, it will never replace all the elements of face-to-face TI3, but the point is that I can play TI3 on the iPad 24x7 (if I cut off work, family, sleep, etc.). Face-to-face TI3 is about 6x per year at best. An iPad app for TI3 wouldn't make me stop the face-to-face, it just would give me something to do in between sessions. comiendo

#7 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Seren said:

I'm a hopeless addict. The best iPad app I've found for space strategy is Starbase Orion. It plays like other 4x games you've tried on the PC. Ascendancy isn't bad either, a bit retro but okay.

Holy crap!  Ascendancy is out on iPod these days?!  I used to love that game back in the day when I played it on PC.  Still own the disk, though I'd probably have to jury rig something to make it run on Windows 7. =P

Pertaining to this thread's topic, Ascendancy is definitely something similar to TI3.  Not exactly the same thing, but in a similar vein and suitably epic in proportion.  Of course, the $7.00 price tag strikes me as a bit steep considering the age of the game, but if you keep an eye on it, it might go on sale.

#8 Seren

Seren

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I've tried the Eclipse app. It's a great port, but with all the shortcomings of the board game, at least to me. Luck reigns and it falls flat compared to TI3.

The multiplayer sucks (never finished a game because all the other players always quit or never take their turns). The AI is good, but predictable after a few games: oh look, the Planta are upgrading hulls.

It's worth the $6.99 if you are into Eclipse, but I only play it because I don't have TI3 on the iPad.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS