2 buddies need rules clarifications - before we start shooting each other

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ragesteel

ragesteel

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

My buddy and I are very competitive and have come up with the following rules conflicts:

For Dust Warfare:

1. Can the Allies sniper/observer  team cancel an armor roll against a vehicle - since their hits always ignore armor/cover? 

2. If a unit is down to 1 figure, can it still negate a vehicles armor roll if it is in its rear arc?

3. there's a SSU mech walker that has a chainsaw on its right/left hands - does that mean i get 2 attacks? Also other mech walkers they have come w/ 2 howizters, can those both fire as well or just one. Lets say I attack with the chainsaw, since they're on the r/l arms, i can only attack on those arcs?

4. do helicopters move a free 12 inches during the compulary movement if they so choose? can it be UP to 12 inches?

5. If a unit has UGLs/mgs/knives - does it choose 1 of those to attack with or all? And can they separate those attacks against multiple units

6. if a vehicle is in front of another vehicle does it provide a cover save if so is it hard?

PLEASE provide the page number and book so we can verify the answers

thanks so much - we want to enjoy this game but there's a lot of confusion with the rules.

#2 Mike J

Mike J

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

ragesteel said:

My buddy and I are very competitive and have come up with the following rules conflicts:

For Dust Warfare:

1. Can the Allies sniper/observer  team cancel an armor roll against a vehicle - since their hits always ignore armor/cover? 

2. If a unit is down to 1 figure, can it still negate a vehicles armor roll if it is in its rear arc?

3. there's a SSU mech walker that has a chainsaw on its right/left hands - does that mean i get 2 attacks? Also other mech walkers they have come w/ 2 howizters, can those both fire as well or just one. Lets say I attack with the chainsaw, since they're on the r/l arms, i can only attack on those arcs?

4. do helicopters move a free 12 inches during the compulary movement if they so choose? can it be UP to 12 inches?

5. If a unit has UGLs/mgs/knives - does it choose 1 of those to attack with or all? And can they separate those attacks against multiple units

6. if a vehicle is in front of another vehicle does it provide a cover save if so is it hard?

PLEASE provide the page number and book so we can verify the answers

thanks so much - we want to enjoy this game but there's a lot of confusion with the rules.

1. Yes. Any unit with the sniper rule ignores cover and armor (no armor roll). Core 56.

2. Yes. Core 44.

3. Units with multiple weapons get to fire all weapons during an attack. Each weapon can be fired at its own target. Vehicle weapons are restricted by arc. The exception to all of this is Close combat weapons which have their own special rules. Core 40.

4. Yes and it must be the full distance unless it puts the helicopter within 1" of another model. Zverograd 17.

5. See #3. Close combat can only include close combat weapons (knives) and a unit may not attack multiple targets. A reaction attack to close combat can only include close combat weapons. See the close combat special rules for full details (Core pg 57).

6. Vehicles provide hard cover. However, if a unit can draw a line to any part of a vehicle's base that does not cross terrain, the vehicle does not benefit from cover. It would be nearly impossible to line up two vehicles in such a way that you couldn't draw a clear line to the one in back. Core 42.

#3 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Mike seems to have covered everything. 

A general rule of thumb for the Dust Warfare rule set is: Don't over think the rules. If there is an exception to a rule, it will be stated as such.

To expand on number 3…

Walkers have their weapons listed in their description. If they have a weapon listed twice, such as the KV-47A,B, & C, you get one attack for each weapon.

#4 SeismicShock

SeismicShock

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Nevermind, didn't read fully

#5 Mike J

Mike J

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

ragesteel said:

Yea.  The rulebook could use some serious improvement on two fronts.  First, there isn't enough of restating the rules to ensure clarity in those spots which are likely to cause confusion (stating with every order whether or not it causes a Reaction marker or giving an example of a unit with mutiples of several weapon types making an attack against several targets, for example).  Second, the layout is poor, especially as an in-game reference.  If you take your time reading the particular rule and searching through the book, nearly every answer is there.  And you can always ask here.

#6 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

I put that up to the 'British' school of rules writing. The 'American' school is the old Avalon Hill/SPI 'ALWAYS REPEAT A RULE EVERY TIME IT IS APPLICABLE, IN EVERY APPLICABLE SITUATION.' The Brits and the Euros seem to think this is too much work (?) and therefore take careful reading.

At least it's no longer the 'M.A.R. Barker' model any more! The man wrote ancients rules, and used the old legal 'A except when B, except when C, which modifies A; B and D together do E, if F doesn't apply, and A trumps E if it's a Tuesday, etc.' No kidding. Pick up WRG Ancients rules if you don't believe anyone could write that poorly.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS