A quick review from a new player.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 binici

binici

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

This game is really fun, simply said. I showed it off to a few others and they really enjoyed it (the quick intro setup).

Once everyone was satisified and wanted to learn the next steps, we dived into the more advanced rules and needless to say, the experience was intense and more fun.

The art and details on the cards and pieces are great! So much to learn and do in this brilliant game.

My friends plan on experimenting some more with the rules to learn everything before indulging into the expansion sets.

This game really captures the excellent dog fight scenes from the movies.

Overall, I would rate this 9/10.

#2 Ixamos

Ixamos

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Welcome to the club mate :)

#3 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

$10 says he complains about TIE/ln being too cheap in about a week or so

#4 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Duraham said:

And X-Wings being rediculously overpowered and impossible to kill the week after.

.............._____________________
|------------/_____________________\ #RIPHughsey #408 #63notoutforever
|------------\_____________________/ #putoutyourbats #staystrongseanabbott

#5 photogasm

photogasm

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

I'll take both of those bets.  You want me to PM my paypal account details?

#6 binici

binici

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Duraham said:

We haven't found anything to complain about the mechanics. Most players picture what and what cannot be done by certain vehicles in the star wars "world". I'm sure compettive players might find broken techniques or tactics as well as stats, but for now, we find it fun.

Isn't there plenty of counter to another players team building and strategic move in this game or are some figures that "cheap" and broken?

#7 Pygon

Pygon

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

binici said:

We haven't found anything to complain about the mechanics. Most players picture what and what cannot be done by certain vehicles in the star wars "world". I'm sure compettive players might find broken techniques or tactics as well as stats, but for now, we find it fun.

Isn't there plenty of counter to another players team building and strategic move in this game or are some figures that "cheap" and broken?

Consensus seems to be that maneuvers win the game more than builds or luck.

You can make a very expensive YWing that can be killed easily due to its 1 evade.  So the points system isn't just a matter of saying "I built a squad with more points so I should win", or "the points are equal so it should be a close game".

Try to get multiple TIEs focused on one target while staying out of the Rebels' line of fire.

Same for Rebels.

I've been trying a 2X Rookie 2Y Gold build against a Darth TIE Advanced, Howlrunner, 4 Obsidian TIE squad.  So far, the Rebels are always losing.

But a 1X 1Y squad won against Darth and 2 Obsidian TIEs (half of each squad).

How you fly is very important.

Core/Wave 1: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 8 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanceds; Wave 2: 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-Wings, 2 Firesprays, 3 TIE Interceptors

Wave 3: 3 B-Wings, 3 TIE Bombers, 3 HWK-290s, 2 Lambda Shuttles; Imperial Aces: 2 Royal Guard Interceptors, 2 Elite Interceptors

Huge ships: 1 Tantive IV, 2 Transports, 2 alternate X-Wings; Rebel Aces: 1 prototype A-Wing, 1 Elite B-Wing

Wave 4: 3 E-Wings, 6 Z95s, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 TIE Phantoms

#8 TCBC Freak

TCBC Freak

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

It plays a lot like chess really. Being able to read your enemy and plan ahead your moves is the most important thing. Not points and luck. Those matter sure, but a good deal less than manovers. I saw a game where the rebs were down to a y-wing with no shields against two ties who haddn't been hit. The reb pulled it out because the imperial forgot that y-wings can k-turn so the imp assumed he'd bank and did so also, put his side right in the y-wings fireing arch, then a little luck with rolls killed one tie, and the y-wings next manouver put him in right behind the last tie and he downed it too. It showed that you have to know what your enemy can do and what you can do and then think about what your enemy will do. Using your brain can ****** victory from defeat.

I wish I lived around people who actullay played games instead of just calling themselves gamers....

#9 binici

binici

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

I'm glad to report that I went out and bought some more goodies!

My purchases:

1. X-Wing Ship expansion pack
  2. Y-Wing Ship expansion pack
  3. Tie Fighter expansion pack
  4. Tie Advance expansion pack
  5. Dice pack

I held off purchasing another core set because my gaming room is starting to fill up and I'm limited in space, plus my buddy really is into the game now, so he is set to purchase the game (core set) ASAP.

We played two games (50 pt. build and an 80 pt.) game, which just seemed amazing and intense.

Of course, we had to try the new ships, which we found out quickly are human meat shields (Y-Wing) and deadly and quick (Tie Advance).

Exploring with the build totals, we are confident in our play and that the played the rules correctly. So much strategy and each game is never the same and very unique!

Next, we plan on playing a 100pt. build then take on the missions… Now, we can't wait for our local shop to have OP.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS