Questions about "Ours for the Taking"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cloudy57

Cloudy57

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi~ Here is some uncertainty about the event "Ours for the Taking".

Ours for the Taking: “Any Phase: Choose 1 location that would kneel to trigger its effect. Copy that ability (paying any additional costs),without kneeling the location.”

Could I play this event during the Marshalling phase to trigger the ability of “Aegon's Hill”?

And could I play this event and trigger the ability of “Aegon’s Hill” which is frozen?

Thanks for clarification ~O(∩_∩)O

#2 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Cloudy57 said:

Hi~ Here is some uncertainty about the event "Ours for the Taking".

Ours for the Taking: “Any Phase: Choose 1 location that would kneel to trigger its effect. Copy that ability (paying any additional costs),without kneeling the location.”

Could I play this event during the Marshalling phase to trigger the ability of “Aegon's Hill”?

And could I play this event and trigger the ability of “Aegon’s Hill” which is frozen?

Thanks for clarification ~O(∩_∩)O

Yes you can use this event to trigger phase specific effects on locations "Any Phase".  So you could use it do some effects during an unusual phase if you wanted to(including Aegon's Hill any phase).

If a location has frozen solid on it, it has no text and therefore no triggered effect.  Therefore, I do not believe you can copy the effect of a blank location because it does not have a triggered effect that currently exists.

#3 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

You get to ignore phase restrictions when triggered a location ability with that event?  interesting.

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

Slothgodfather said:

You get to ignore phase restrictions when triggered a location ability with that event?  interesting.
Because you are not triggering the location. You are copying a location ability by triggering the event. So you go with the timing of the event, not the location.

#5 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

very cool indeed.   Seems like that would be pretty handy.  I wonder why it isn't played more.

#6 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

Because GJ has better things to fit into its event slots than "copy a location."

#7 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Slothgodfather said:

very cool indeed.   Seems like that would be pretty handy.  I wonder why it isn't played more.

Maybe because there are so many better events to consider out of Greyjoy.  They have a lots of defensive and prevention events(saves/cancels) and unless you really love your location abilities, I'd think that I'd be hard pressed to attempt to replace some of them with this.   In addition to the great Greyjoy events, there are plenty of neutral events that are better too.  I guess it all depends on the context of your deck theme.

#8 Cloudy57

Cloudy57

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Got it~

Thank you all (>^ω^<)

#9 snowfrost

snowfrost

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

"ours for the taking" copy the ability,not the effect

a card "ability" not  include "XX phase"?

#10 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

You copy the location's ability, but you are not triggering the location or its ability. If you were, you'd have to wait until the event fully resolved (copying the location effect), wait for your opponent(s) to play or pass their own player actions, and then trigger your copied location ability.

That's obviously not what is happening here. You are triggering the event, which then resolves with the text of the location's ability. So you are effectively pretending that everything written after the "Phase Name:" on the location is printed after the "Any Phase:" on the event.

Said another way, when you copy the location ability, you are copying it already triggered (since you triggered the event). As such, you bypass any play restrictions on triggering the location (except for non-kneeling costs, which the event specifically tells you to pay).

#11 Cloudy57

Cloudy57

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Could I play this event to copy the ability of “Coin Mint”(Any Phase: Kneel Coin Mint to move any number of gold tokens from it to your gold pool.) and use the coins on that?

#12 snowfrost

snowfrost

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

what's the answer?

Could I play this event to copy the ability of “Coin Mint”(Any Phase: Kneel Coin Mint to move any number of gold tokens from it to your gold pool.) and use the coins on that?

#13 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

I can't see any reason why you could not.

#14 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I can (maybe). The ability is self-referential and this has screwed combos in the past. I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable.

#15 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

The self-referential thing isn't a problem in this case because it is only telling you where to get the gold tokens from.

Where copying self-referential effects has screwed up combos/resolution of the copy is when the copied effect tells you to do something with a card that you are not allowed to do. For example, Ours fot the Taking would have problems trying to copy Rhaenys's Hill ("Any Phase: Kneel and discard Rhaenys's Hill from play to put all characters in a single opponent's dead pile into play under your control until the end of the phase.") because the GJ player would not be able to complete the cost by discarding a card named Rhaenys's Hill - unless he happened to control one in play, too.

Coin Mint doesn't run into that trouble because moving gold tokens from Coin Mint doesn't require you to do anything to/with the actual location.

#16 bezideiko

bezideiko

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

Is it possible for Ours for the Taking user to copy the ability of the Lannister's Iron Throne location and to cancel a character ability as a response ?

#17 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Is it possible for Ours for the Taking user to copy the ability of the Lannister's Iron Throne location and to cancel a character ability as a response ?

Unfortunately no.  This is because Ours for the Taking is not a response in itself.  It would be nice if it had that ability as well, but it does not...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS