Preferring larger ships over fighters…

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

As a big-time RPGer, I've always favoured larger craft over fighters for space travel. Are others in the same camp as me?

Ships like the Falcon, Outrider, Lambda, Sentinel, Skipray, Firespray, are much more my cup of tea. If I'm flying around the galaxy, I don't want to be stuck in a tiny little cockpit.

Ships that could be flown by one person, though preferably by 2 to 4 crew and that could carry a half dozen to a dozen passengers and carry lots of loot…um…I mean…ah…"cargo".

I'm hoping very much that these will be viable options in this game. I do have the Firespray and think it will see a lot of use if it proves viable. I think the Chewie-version YT-1300 will be viable because it completely ignores crits, but that 1 Agility…yikes!

What are others experiences so far? Are the large ships going to be viable players in this game?

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#2 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

The Falcon is a beast and it plays pretty easily to great success.  The Firespray by comparison, still trying to get it to work for me- but it took me a while to get the hang of an X-Wing as well.

#3 Sgt. G

Sgt. G

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Kinda.. but mostly nope..

bigger ships yes.. but i like my Imperial class star destroryer or bigger…

for fighting..i want an interceptor. always have…most likey always will.

#4 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

From a purely coolness factor I love the really big ships.  Star Destroyers are my favorite.  But x-wing is a dog fighitng game.  So I hope never to see star destroyers.  

Of course the ships you were talking about are much smaller than star destroyers.  Some of them could work very well with this game.  The Skip Ray, for example, is basically just a really big fighter.

So most of the ships you mentioned probably could work.  YT-1300 and Firesprays prove that.  But I would like to point out that the new larger ships seem to me to be the excdeption that prove the rule for this dog fighitng game.  I would be a little sad if there were as many larger craft as fighters in the game.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#5 The Amazing Flight Lizard

The Amazing Flight Lizard

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

I was considering posting something to this effect.

much as the Lambda shuttle is great, I think a better fit is the Sentinel. At 38 meters long, it's RIGHT in the same size bracket as a YT1300. Itsalso very well armed, thus making it not just a landing craft, but a combat support ship. Says so right in the Wookiepedia entry.

http://starwars.wiki...s_landing_craft

i would LOVE to see this thing as a Wave 3 ship. Even the Rebels wind up using them in large numbers later on in the EU. Granted, I think it would be better to keep the Imperial vs. Rebel flavor going a little longer before we start mixing too much. I'm sure the Rebs have a comparable ship to it, even the YT2400. (Though I like the symmetry and looks of the YT2000 far more) 

has it been decided for certain that we aren't getting ships any larger than the medium transports like the YT series?

i still think we could go one bigger with the GR-75 http://starwars.wiki...edium_transport

Then again, it ain't my game, I just play it.

#6 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

Might see Queen Amidala's ships at some point, they are big but not too big to fit on the table.  I won't be buying them, but there is a market for them.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS