Warp Navigation Charts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

So, how might these work? It's not that often I hear the stuff saying you need to have a chart to know how to get to a place. It makes perfect sense, of course, but this is a RPG, so one might just hit it with a glove forged of handwavium. Say you were playing Lure of the Expanse. How many places would you say the party navigator simply wouldn't know how to find without a chart? Also, once you've traversed it, how might the Navigator manufacture one? It could be useful for a later trip, AND possibly worth some money were one to want to sell it. Some of the numerous Navigator groups might draw much of their clout from being the only people who can lead you to specific places. They might not be the biggest, most influential House, but they know a way their higher-ups don't. That might be a part of the protection for Fleet Base Metis and the Maw end of the Jericho-Maw Warp Gate, and I seem to remember that it IS for Erioch Watch Station.

#2 NoodleNaught

NoodleNaught

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

You don't need a warp chart to go anywhere because, because finding the routes to these places is what navigators are there for. If you have a warp chart for a region of space you would likely beable to transverse it faster, and with less warp events. So bonus to warp navigation rolls would probably make sense.

How exactly one "charts" the warp I don't really know, but as a GM I assume that Navigators with would be able to make a chart as long as they have acess to a computer of some kind. And certainly charting a stable warp passage can be valluable, and would be valuable. It also might cause problems if you try to sell the information, inevitably you will steping on some navigator houses toes or some such.

Also having a warp navigation chart might allow people other navigators to try and take stellar navigation tests instead to navigate the warp. However any trip made without a navigator will almost certainly be extremely dangerous, and should not be anything but a emergency choice.

#3 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

According to the Navi Primer a warp chart can be made from anything the navigator has to charge it with the memories of the emotions and thoughts they passed through during the journey so another navigator can feel the same thing and navigate the same course.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon..."-Daenerys Targaryen

"I found my friends their in my head."-Kurt Cobain

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS