TEW/Gathering Storm/game session length

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

Hello, i have read somewhere that the gathering storm was about 10 session in length, i think with TEW weighing in at 30, however my groups game sessions run about 5 hours in length.  When I consider the pase that we have been going this leads me to believe that TGS will last 4 maybe 5 sessions tops, with a resulting 4-5xp.  Not a big deal but with a longer campaign like TEW that intends for the PC's to be upwards of rank 3/4 by the end this may create a problem for my players without just handing them extra free xp.  

1)       Does anyone know what the intended game session length for WFRP 3rd is?   This would greatly help my planning ahead and present a much improved contextual feel for how much prep work I need to do for each session etc.  

2)       Has anyone began running TEW to get a feel for how long the campaing actually is?    Ive looked it over several times and don't feel that it would last 30 game session.

3)       How long do the average game sessions in your groups last.  

4)       For those who have ran/played TGS how many sessions did the campaign last?

Thanks I would like a lot of input from several forum members. 

Thanks All,  Happy holidays

Gary

#2 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

gmanjkd said:

Hello, i have read somewhere that the gathering storm was about 10 session in length, i think with TEW weighing in at 30, however my groups game sessions run about 5 hours in length.  When I consider the pase that we have been going this leads me to believe that TGS will last 4 maybe 5 sessions tops, with a resulting 4-5xp.  Not a big deal but with a longer campaign like TEW that intends for the PC's to be upwards of rank 3/4 by the end this may create a problem for my players without just handing them extra free xp. 

You could start off by playing some other, smaller adventures before getting into TEW, so the players start at 10 XP or somesuch. Should not be a problem.

Also, characters are quite competent at rank 1, I believe that you can run with 1XP a session without risking the players beeing to low rank when the campaign final arrives. If you want to, you could probably award an extra XP each act or something similar, at the points in the adventure where the players made some significant progress in the adventure.

gmanjkd said:

1)       Does anyone know what the intended game session length for WFRP 3rd is?   This would greatly help my planning ahead and present a much improved contextual feel for how much prep work I need to do for each session etc. 

I believe it's really hard to judge how long an "intended" session is, my group often plays for 4-5-6 hours, but still manage to progress through the adventures quite slowly. They like to roleplay between themselves, discuss option, go out to drink and flirt and several other activities doesn't really move the adventure itself along, but which are great fun.

gmanjkd said:

2)       Has anyone began running TEW to get a feel for how long the campaing actually is?    Ive looked it over several times and don't feel that it would last 30 game session.

Haven't got it yet, but I'm guessing that it won't take 30 sessions. I'm hoping for 25.

gmanjkd said:

3)       How long do the average game sessions in your groups last. 

4-6 hours, they get 1 XP, no bonus XP for adventure compleation etc.

gmanjkd said:

4)       For those who have ran/played TGS how many sessions did the campaign last?

It took us about 8 or 9 sessions and one session was a "doubble"-session (we played all day, for about 8-9 hours). But again, my players like to do things beside following the main plot.

#3 beholdsa

beholdsa

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I got the Enemy Within recently and about halfway through reading it.  It is a thing of beauty!  However, saying it take 30 sessions to complete it a bit on the generous side.  (At least with the rate my group tends to advance through senerios.)  Were I to estimate the number of sessions it's take my group, I'd put it at closer to 15.  But then my group tends to be very focused at progressing things without a lot of poking around.  Your mileage may vary.

#4 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

I think the generally assumed 'average' length of a session is 3-4 hours.  There was a thread discussing this subject a couple of months ago and that seemed to hold up.  For me it depends if I am playing at the weekend or mid week.  Mid week games tend to be 3-4 hours whilst weekend sessions tend to be 5+ hours.

I ran The Gathering Storm at my local club by the book an it took 9 sessions (each 3.5 hours).  To be honest it felt a little rushed (I knew going in I had to fit it into 9 weeks so I hurried people along in a few places). I had six players which proabably slowed it down a little bit but at the same time they were all experienced with the system so that speeds it up combat (of which there is a lot in TGS).  However different groups will play at very different speeds. Combat is probably determined by how comfortable people are with the system but everything else depends on style of roleplaying. There is a Garden Party in the first part of TEW where some players I know could easily spend a whole session just interacting with the NPC. At the same time I also know some players that would just do nothing and hope a fight broke out.  Obviously the first type of players are more fun to play with but in most cases your group is a mixed bag and you sometime have to cut the roleplaying short so the hack and slash merchants don't get too bored.

When I scanend through The Enemy Within I thought that 30 sessions was a bit generous and guessed at something like 16-20.  However I have now read through the first three parts in detail and I am thinking that 30 session is probably accurate.  There are a lot of little component quests where a single page of the book could easily spin out into a whole session.  Plus in each city there are a fair number of NPC to get to know and roleplay with.  

TEW involves moving around the Empire a lot (starting in Averheim, then Middenheim and finally Altdorf) which gives scope for easily adding in new stuff.  In my mind the scale of the empire and the slowness of travel is lost if you just jump from one to the other. TEW gives guidance and rules for travelling to help break this up but i would tend to add in extra events along the way so to make it feel like a more epic journey.

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Most major game systems I've ever played have been about 3.5-4 hours for a "session."  It's not a hard rule.  As we play on weeknights and sessions last 4 hours, that's how I do it as well.

I think if a group played on weekends and played 4-6 hours, it wouldn't be game breaking to have that be your standard as well.  This game doesn't get "too powerful" as long as you keep the Fortune Dice to a minimum and players don't go nutz with yellow dice.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS