Photo

I just got Pegasus! Will Cavil murder everyone?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wings of Titanium

Wings of Titanium

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hey crew!

I've been playing the base BSG game a lot. I didn't really just get Pegasus, I've had it for a while, but I've been playing the base game to try and get my friends familiar enough with it to start trying out the expansion. As yet, I've never actually used it. I think my friends are ready, so I'm hoping to bust it out next time, and I was going over the rules. I'm pretty excited to start seeing treachery cards in play!

But I do have a couple of questions about the new "Human Fleet" and "Resurrection Ship." For the human fleet, I'm not sure where that "or" fits in. Are the options "Look at the top card of the Crisis or Destination deck and place it on the top or bottom of that deck. Then draw 2 Skill Cards of different types" or "Infiltrate Galactica?" Or do you manipulate the decks either way, and then choose to either draw skill cards or infiltrate Galactica?

As for the Resurrection ship, wow. Does that mean you can just keep on drawing super crisis cards? Is there anything to stop you doing that? Drawing 1 less skill card doesn't seem like enough of a drawback. Especially if you're playing Cavil and you can bust out Critical Situations. Or drawing three in a turn with Aggressive Tactics. I realise you can't go there easily, but you could infiltrate and then "reveal" to end up there.

#2 Wings of Titanium

Wings of Titanium

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Also, hey, this just occurred to me. If Adama is "emotionally attached," shouldn't he have more trouble using Pegasus' Airlock than Galactica's Admiral's Quarters? Does anyone play with a house rule to switch his weakness to that, or have it affect both?

#3 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Its "All that stuff" OR "Infiltrate."   Infiltrate can only be done by a Cylon leader.   It uses up their turn (I think it is spelled out in the rules booklet under infiltrate).

Tried "sit n' spin" on super crisis but it did not pay off, at least, not if Cylons are not out early in pre-sleeper.  You only get a few rounds to play and draw 1 card and wait is more of a loss than the SuperCrisis can be…  and the humans can stockpile skills.  Of course, depends on what you draw!

Funny enough…  Adama did seem far more likely to airlock someone than having them in the brig.  Callee almost made it out, and I believe many of the mutineer's were executed (off camera)… 

But for me, no, you can't play the game based on your view of TV rules or such.  Otherwise, how could Adam be a Cylon?  Why doesn't Starbuck appear with a new viper after being shot?  And my ever (just mentioned) favorite "How can you launch unmanned vipers with hanger deck damaged" and don't get me started on Apollo jumping in one…  The game mechanics are usually set in a certain way for a reason, often for long term balance.

Plus I love executing people and don't mind playing Adama (grin)

#4 dwightsboardgame

dwightsboardgame

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Depending on the timing of things, spending a turn drawing a Super Crisis Card instead of harming the humans right away isn't necessarily the most effective thing.

I wasn't much of a fan of the Cylon Leaders, so I don't remember Cavil's ability. As far as Cmdr Adama's negative ability, I personally wouldn't make it apply to the airlock, but I'm fine with either way.

#5 Wings of Titanium

Wings of Titanium

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the Cylon locations.

I definitely don't think the game should be shackled to the show, for all the reasons you described and more. Adama brigs people in the show too, though. Roslin & Boomer, off the top of my head. But I guess there could still be game balance issues. I probably shouldn't start whimsically changing rules before I even play with the expansion.

#6 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

I know some people have indeed made that house rule, but Emotionally Attached makes surprisingly little difference either way, so I tend not to worry about it.  

As for the Super Crisis, I'm also a bit rusty on my Cylon Leaders, but I'm pretty sure that you can't use Critical Situation to play or draw more than one, because you need to be Infiltrating to use a non-treachery skill card for its text, and you need to be on Caprica to play Super Crises (and on the Res Ship to draw them, obviously).  You can, however, definitely use Aggressive Tactics to draw (or play) multiple Super Crises, but you'll find that this ability (and Cavil's others) are very effective at destroying the colonials outright, but are somewhat less good at winning most Cylon Leader Agendas.  Such is the cruel irony of being Cavil.

#7 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

You'll probably find that some of the CL Agendas are much easier to pull off than others; sometimes its just dumb luck with the "resources" Agendas.
We did house-rule Cavil so he cant use his OPG to play 3 SC on the same turn since it frequently just ends the game right away and when it happened in past games we were all pretty disgruntled.

#8 Wings of Titanium

Wings of Titanium

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

That's a good point on Emotionally Attached - I've never seen it come up.

Quite right on the text ability issue. I forgot, revealed cylons can't use tactics cards. That would make it harder to just bust out endless super crises. I'm sure the factor of the agenda cards will become clearer with play, too. Thanks for your input!

#9 dakuth

dakuth

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Last game we played (first game with Iona nebula) a cylon and human tied, knocking them both out of the game.

Next, a deep-cover cylon revealed, brigging 1 of the 2 remaining humans…

leaving Adama free, and unable to attempt to brig the soft-revealed cylon…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS