5 replies to this topic

#1 unperson1984

unperson1984

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

Disney…

I am a little worried about this…

What is the status of the Star Wars license between FF and Disney (now that they own SW)? (I really hope FF has a 10y plus contract before Disney purchased Lucas Arts)

I am asking because I heard news that  the Dark Horse (publisher of Star Wars comics) license is up after 2013, and  Disney will NOT be renewed . Dark Horse has been publishing the Star Wars comics for 20 plus years.

I really like this game and it would be a shame if now that Disney has the license it would kick FF out and leave this game to die out.

I am looking forward to many expasions and games with this LCG.

Thank you for the space to ask my question.

#2 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

I thought that they dropped the Dark Horse contract because they own Marvel now? What does Disney own that is in competition with FFG?

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#3 Magni

Magni

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

Haha, I'm not to worried about disney, if they dont think they can do it better they will pay people to keep doing a good job and making money.  Think of them like a big Beer distrubutor like miller, they buy up smaller craft brewerys and tell them to keep doing what your doing and will see if we can help you make some extra money maybe get your product out to a larger distribution area.

Hopefully thats what will happen with FFG, look at ESPN, marvel all that stuff disney is not in the biz of making card games i dont doubt FFG will keep there contract.  I think a good example is the new marvel deck building game that just came out.  that was passed off to a 3rd party boardgame company outside of the disney bubble and with SW's popularity and the games new release, if anything they will ask them to make sets that release with the movie (the hobbit add ons to the LOTR LCG)

My 2 cents.

p.s. i lived in orlando for about 10 years so im pretty pro disney, they know how to provide quality entertainment and they know how to make money.  if anything i would be worried that Disney would try to buy FFG.

+++ Engagement: Resolve Strikes +++

magni strikes with greedo for 2 unit damage to Han Solo and 1 Blast Damage.

#4 Harliquine

Harliquine

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

Unless things go south for the game I doubt Disney or Lucas will pull the contract here.  FFG has so far done about the best job with the Star Wars liscense quality wise. And when you break it down to apples to apples the only other company to try an integrated system of games under the same liscense didn't do such a hot job. 

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

Someone brought this up when the buyout happened. There is nothing to worry about.

#6 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

While I'm not sure about this business with Dark Horse, as the only "news" I've seen is this, I can't see them pulling the plug on FFG given how successful the X-Wing game has been for them so far. Pulling the license from a company that is actually making money in order to give it to another company who might make money just doesn't make sense to me, anyway. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS