how do i Firespray?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Any tips on how to maneuver the Firespray (and general usage)? So far I'm thoroughly unimpressed by this hunk of points, it's no Falcon for sure. The roles that it would play in an imp squad seems to be better played by either the TIEadv (for general tanking/missiles) or the TIE/in (for your firepower), or even the standard TIE/ln in reasonable numbers(for area control). It cannot turn as sharply, which means that it would be staying around the sides of the map rather often, and this coupled with the lack of side firing arcs really really irritates me. Expert handling nearly solves all it's problem with maneuvers, but then you come to its problem of not being painful enough, especially when it loses its actions or chance to fire like quite a large number of time due to its size (Im fairly confident I've had more collisions than I had actions). Yes, I could always Howlrunner + squad leader and save it, but when it already wastes such a big chunk of my avaliable squad points, and it still requires so much more points to further back it up, i really see no reason not to take a TIEadv or TIE/in or both when they cost about the same, if not lower (come on, you would never take an empty Firespray anyway, but you would an empty tempest or alpha, and thats 21 + 18 = 39, which is about a tricked out Firespray or a Boba Fett). Speaking of that, their abilities are really disappointing, with the exception of Kath.

In short, I'm feeling really shortchanged with the Firespray, and before I condemn it to the box, I think there must be somewhere I'm doin it wrong. Any suggestions? so far I have made the following observations:

- you really need to stay at range 3 as far as possible, that's where the Firespray truely shines. Problem with that is it flies so freakishly fast, even with straight 1s, you would rarely get to stay at range 3 for long. Yes, you could do a forward 4 and speed off to range 3 on the otehr side, but you need to remember that you have to turn, and you have no side firing arcs, so that's not a good idea either. Reverse 4 isn't that bad, provided you don't hit someone by mistake and fail to do the reverse, that can really kill you.
- expert handling is nearly a must on it, I've done things like forward 4 + roll to get at targets with my rear firing arc instead of trying to attempt sharp turns and out-turn others under tight range 1 1v1 dogfight situations, and I feel that's not too bad. However, this means that you can't use any other better actions like PushTheLimit, Daredevil or even SEXPOSE!!!, and worse still, only Kath or Boba can equip pilot upgrades, so you really are looking at a lot of points invested
- you really really need 2 actions and setup your attacks to make it count, just like with every other ship. I'm starting to question the usefulness of Gunner, basically it is about the same as a target lock, in that you still end up with 1 attack anyway (because the first attack needs to miss completely in order to trigger off gunner). You can always support it with squad leader, howlrunner etcetc to make it stronger, but the same goes for just about every other ship.
- lack of crew upgrades is really irritating. Imagine how good nien nunb's effect would be on the Firespray, especially after you have gotten stress tokens from rolling about
- the lack of a sharp 1 turn is seriously irritating.
- mines are fun but difficult to use. You can consider moving and colliding into a group of ships, then have someone else come in and squad leader your Firespray to drop the proximity mines for a confirmed shot, but other than that and waiting for lucky opportunities, mines are really too much effort for too little returns. if you are looking to use seismic charges to clear swarms like you would with assault missiles, I would direct you straight to the assault missiles instead. Also, using the proximity mine to seal off exits/areas sounds very useful, until you realize people will either ignore it completely or fly a Ywing through it.
- why would you ion cannon something when you can blast it with 3-4 attack dice easily, plus chance for a 2nd attack if you missed, on top of whatever focus or targetlock or other stuff you already have
- it dies really really quickly for some weird reason. I'm thinking that because it has the lowest agility value amongst the imperial ships, and when paired with its size, means it is usually the first target to be hit. and if it is hit enough times, your opponent would be like all "well, might as well take it out, only have 4 hp left anyways)
-criticals really really hurt it, and there's no R5 astromech nor Chewbacca for it. GOOD LUCK!
- all the missiles and torps and extra flingflangs are a big waste of points the moment you decide to slap on the heavy laser turrets, since it delivers pretty much the same amount of hurt. for the other stuff, you have to lock on anyway, or focus with a deadeye, which can be used to powerup your heavy laser turret attacks, so yeah.
- for all the points, I'd rather have 2-3 ships than that 1 big firespray, it's the same amount of hp if not more (due to buffer), it offers you 2-3 attacks instead of 1, and you can do so much more with 2-3 normal ships

#2 DeadInkPen

DeadInkPen

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

I have been using my Firespray quite a bit in games against some friends. It isn't as bad as you are making it out to seem. Who cares if only two pilots have elite upgrades for them on it. It almost sounds like you think that ships need the elite upgrade on them to be any good. Additionally it also sounds like you are fully decking out a Firespray, which should be a no go. Kaith's ability is like Steele's, a bit to situational. Boba's is really good if you think about it. I have used it quite a few times to my advantage. Then Krassis' is pretty useful, ecspecially with the heavy laser cannon. Lets look at your points in order:

1) Sounds like you just need to do like everyone else who will/has and relearn how to manuever the larger based ships. The base is a hair over 3"x3" in size. All I can tell you on that is just to practice with it and get used to the new size.

2) I don't see expert handling as a must. I have settled on using the Bounty Hunter pilot quite a bit lately and haven't had much issue with needing specific elite upgrades on the pilots that can use them. In fact most of the time I run them with out one for points available for other ships.

3) Really don't need two actions for any ship to make them count. Only one pilot I can think of that has two actions is Vader. I have never used Squad Leader, as have other people I have played with and they all seem to do fine with only one action. Again sounds like you need to practice more. As for gunner, that is up to people individually if they like it for not. A second chance to make a hit is pretty decent.

4) There is a reason that the YT gets Nien, have seen its one agility dice? The Firespray has more going for it, it is after all an X-Wing on steroids.

5) Your opinion, not really needed for this ship, all that would be doing with a 1 90 turn would be basically pivoting the ship. There is a balance even in the maneuver dials.

6) Well if you are deploying a seismic mine after moving with squad leader I hope that you are also adding that damage to all your ships in range of it too. After all it says all ships in range 1 of the mine take one damage. Proximity mines are fun to deploy, its nice to take a movement area away from an opponent. And if a rebel player wants to fly a Y-Wing over it, that is great news. Means that it will take less time to kill it in the future depending on the damage rolls.

7) Ion because there are certain advantages to it. At range 3 with the Ion Cannon there is no +1 agility die for the defender, also you can set up a collision with an asteroid next turn, taking away their action and attack, or they might go through one and also lose their action. It gives some utility to the Imperial fleets people can make.

8) Sure most opponents will target it first. That is actually a good thing. Means that I can use the other ships to lay some pain on them. I have done some scary set ups where if the opponents would have worried about my smaller ships first they would have been better off. It makes such a good distraction from the other ships its not even funny.

9) There was no astromechs or Chewbacca for any of the other Imperial ships. Criticals can hurt any ship. So I have no idea why you are complaining about this. Almost sounding like you wanted a God Ship that could lay everything to waste with little to no effort.

10)  I can see a point of still using missles. Again it comes down to how you want to spend your points. Remember the Heavy Laser Cannon cannot due critial hits. 

11) This point is all personal opinion of yours. I have had immense success with the Firespray taking the complete attention of my opponent. I have had Howlrunner, Backstabber, etc completely ignored in games with the Firespray on the table. Even in ones where we wanted to field 150 and 200 points. 

Again it sounds like you really need to practice more with the lare based ships, think in terms of the metagame. Also you sound like you were expecting the large based ships to be God ships.

#3 Sgt. G

Sgt. G

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

two great write ups.. thanks so much for the insight.

#4 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

Duraham said:

In short, I'm feeling really shortchanged with the Firespray, and before I condemn it to the box, I think there must be somewhere I'm doin it wrong. Any suggestions? so far I have made the following observations…

Most of your observations apply equally well to the X-wing. Lots of people have observed in the last couple of weeks that--expect for the size of the base--the Firespray looks a lot like an X-wing with twice the hp, and that's not a bad thing to be.

#5 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

well….

- both mines are triggered differently. with the proximity, at the very least i could do the collision trick to aim it accurately, but for the seismic, you'd really need to go last to get it in properly. by right, this should work against swarms since they should be moving first and all, but it does mean that you would find it harder to capture higher skilled guys within the blast. If anything, you should note that the seismic mine is actually "larger" in terms of AOE when compared to the proximity, due to it's range 1 blast radius. quite different uses, but either way i really find the mines to be very impractical. at the very least, for the proximity, i could drop it on someone AND pelt him with my guns nearly immediately, so it feels more "confirmed" in terms of damage dealt against a specific ship. Also, seismic charges can and do hurt your own ship, so if you are also bringing an entourage of stuff along with your firespray, sometimes you really need to take that 1 hit to your friendly ship so you cna hit 3 others, and when that one ship is a darth vader or howlrunner or phennr, OUCH!

- I use expose on the Falcon actually, screw the 1 agility dice when i can pelt you with 5 dices + 360deg firing arc + maybe han solo.

-yes, you could run them without expert handling or any upgrades whatsoever, but when the roll helps it to this kind of extent, i really don't see why not. Also, it changes their ability to fight under constrained situations a lot, without the roll i'm always hard-pressed to run away and come back again, but with my lack of side firing arcs, and also a very obvious show of when i would want to do that because there's only so many ways i could move, out of which only so little ways would be actually useful, and that's without considering additional things like how close you are to the map edges, obstacles and other ships (or heck, even your own proximity mine from earlier), and for most maneuvers with the Firespray, it really does screw over to the next turn, ie. running away still means you need to turn around, and if your opponent manages to predict when and where you are running to, it is also easy to catch you (and that is not hard at all), and koiograns are really risky if you are flying one of the higher skilled pilots due to its size.

-yes, you can ion people into asteroids, park stuff in front of them and make them lose actions, ion them off the map too, or you could blast at them away dealing them 2-3 damage. I dunno, if he has 2-3 hp anyways and the Firespray is like, well, um….  i dunno, has like torps missiles lasers capable of wiping him off immediately, especially when he only has 1-2 agility…. 

cynicism aside, i agree that ionizing targets is still useful, but i also found myself missing more elusive targets with the ions, then having to pelt him with gunner instead. And giving it ion cannons means that it is not dishing out the firepower it should be dishing out, so you really are trading that for a little bit of utility, which you need to get the target within your front firing arc anyways. The reason why the ion cannon was so good on the Ywing, according to me, is that not only is it 360, it is also 3 attack dice compared to the Ywing's 2attack blasters, and even at range 1 you are likely to be dealing only 1 damage to the target anyway, so most of the time, why not just ionize the target instead? Now, compare that to the Firespray, with a base attack of 3, or heavy laser turret for 4 attacks against no bonuses agility dices due to range, or even its other ordnance like torps etc, i really do see myself blasting away instead of trying to ionize the target, especially when after ionizing him i'm going to blast him away anyway. Like why would you want to go thru so many steps at eliminating him when you could eliminate him straight away. it is so much more efficient and humane. that said, ions are still a tad more useful against other imp ships, since you could setup a proper kill and bural, but with only 1 turn to do that, nevermind whatever roll or boost or both actions that they could take, I'd say spare yourself the trouble and blast them instead, they only have 3 hp (+1 shield if they have upgrades, +another 2 if it's a TIEadv)

- i'm not expecting the Firespray to be some god ship, but if it costs me 2-3 ships, im irritated it cannot do the job of 2-3 ships, and if the Falcon can do it, i see no reasons why the Firespray isnt able to do it either. Even if I were to really lower my standards and compare an empty firespray to a slightly pimped out maaaaaaarek (closest in terms of points and general uselessness), the maaaaaaaaarek would be in general a marginally more dangerous threat and be more useful too, with or without any additional supports given to it. Neither is it an Xwing, since it could do much tighter turns (due to its size) and is really a whole different ship altogether with different roles, in a different team to boot. On paper, it shares many similiar properties, ie. flying arcs, ship stats, capability for upgrades and additional torps etc, but in practice, they are different, mostly due to its maneuvering and size, and also them belonging in different teams, where they have to serve different roles due to the nature of the team.

- 2 actions on any ship is awesome. have you tried a normal attack + target lock + focus? yes, you do not need 2 actions on them to make them count, but ever wondered what all the hype is about for Vader, or Phennr or Fel or Celchu on pushthelimit, or Lando, or losing actions from collision or stress even. it drastically reduces the element of luck and dice roll, like say the aforementioned targetlock+focus, or focus+evade, and that's like the most basic of combos/reasons behind why having 2 actions is so useful. On the Firespray, your ship has so much potential, why would you want to waste it? No, i'm not saying dump 70 points on it and send it out, but I'm saying even at the barest of minimum (ie. totally empty bounty hunter), making it do things like targetlock + focus or focus +evade would make it a lot stronger of a ship, and that argument can be extended to nearly every other ship in the game so far. Also, with such a high firepower and likelihood to get hit, why would you not want to do either of the things, instead relying on luck of the roll to get you through? 

- i dunno, for all the "please go and practice", i'd say "please try using it under tournament rules against competent opponents", it's not very helpful, and it's really insulting, like you are accusing me of not knowing my stuff. if you could share tips like how you fly it, eg. "you should bear in mind that due to it's size, you need to add a forward1 to all your estimations of it's maneuvers", that would be a lot more useful instead of "go run a few more laps". I also realize that Im doing a lot of forwards + koiograns with it lately, mostly to minimize the problems it has with it's lack of side firing arcs, but I do not think that's the right way to fly it, nor any other ship for that matter. like Im really putting it in the middle of the map, forward 2, forward 2, forward 2, koiogran, forward 2 forward 2 forward 2, koiogran, forward2 forward 2……. flying it around like it's a normal Xwing or some other ship is when all the issues and problems start appearing.

EDIT: I think the difference really is in the metagame. over here, head-on fights occurs like nearly all the time, and it quickly escalates into tight dogfights and melee that clumps together. So far, i'm easily dealing with it by setting up a killzone surrounding the fight, then taking out ships one by one (as per standard operating procedures), but that's squad based. on a more intimate level of fighting (ie. 2v3 or lesser), the firespray really has problems and is taken out so quickly im more of stunned than anything else actually. Throw the Falcon in the exact same situation, and like I'd say, I'd expose and pelt everybody i don't like with 5 dices at range 1 and you'd see the Falcon emerge victorious, although badly brused, like a Rocky.

hmm, guess I do need to cut down on the ornaments. So far I usually have gunner, heavy laser, expert handling on it, barring occasional seasonal builds. I may be tempted to put in a mine just to see what else i could do with it, but that's about it. tried putting ship upgrades on it, but apart from boost, they aren't particularly useful in general

#6 DeadInkPen

DeadInkPen

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

1) I forgott to meantion that the only time you can deploy the seismic charge is when you reveal the manuever dial. So I have no idea how you are actually using Squad Leader to drop it later on. Once more Proximity Mine is used to take away an avenue of approach on the board. Again this is all metagame thinking on that one. 

2) I have no idea why you are meantioning the YT-1300 in this. But Expose + YT = a ship that is going to take a lot of punishment that round. Seen my buddy try that and it did him no good.

3) Once more I will point out maybe you need to practice with the larger based ships. I haven't had that much of an issue. That rear firing arc helps out tremendously. Also the bigger firing arcs make for more available targets for you to choose from. Here you also hint at the metagame with the opponent predicting where you may be going. Maybe you should try to predict where they are headed and work around that. 

4) I am sorry you are not fully seeing the usefulness of the Ion cannon on the Firespray. Put it simply control can be greater then raw damage at times.

5) This point is utter bs on your part. Earlier you talk about how you would field a YT-1300 with Han using Expose. That right there is 50 points of your 100 total. That is before you add anything else to the YT-1300. A bare bones Firespray is more useful than Steele. Lets look at the basic Bounty Hunter at 33 points to field. Steele is 27 points to field. The most you could get is two additional ships being bare boned for that price, or else just one extra ship with an upgrade or two. As for the turn size due to base size, you are comparing apples to oranges. It is almost like saying that you expect a Semi pulling a trailer to be able to have the same handling as a car built for rally/drifting.

6) Yes I have tried that. Target lock lets you reroll some to all dice, but you still have the same chance on it as you did when you initially rolled. Focus gives you a 75% chance to hit. There is an inherently higher chance of successfully hitting on an attack then dodging an attack. Remember you argument was that ships need to be able to do two actions in order to be useful. That point has been shot down by lots of people who can make due with only one action on a ship. In fact I have seen emprie builds that don't even use Vader that have done really well in the past. Let me put it this way to you, those combos can also be for naught. No matter what you are relying on a random mechanic being the dice. 

Again it does sound like you wanted a god ship. The Firespray along with the interceptors are bringing some heavy hitting ships for the Imperial side. If you do not like the ship do not buy it or play it. The solution is as easy as that. You could probably get the best players in the world telling you how awesome the Firespray could be and what you can do with it, but you will refuse to see it. Mainly because you want a large ship that can lay waste to things. Maybe they will give you your super large ship in the future. But from my standpoint you don't seem to really grasp game balance. Sorry if I am coming across as rude. But you sound like the kid that lives next door to me who expects to have everything be a certain way and it not happy if something is not up to the image that he created in his mind.

#7 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

well, how are you using your Firespray then? we are currently going around in circles on points i've raised, and it's evident we are going nowhere with that, except getting more angry at each other. i could dredge up more stuff to rebute your points that i completely disagree with (eg. 3 regular TIEs = 36 points < boba fett or kath scarlet or Krassis, or comparing falcon with firespray since both are the only ships in that category so far, or 2 actions = good etc, or or ), but i see no point in doing so, nor will it result in any beneficial outcome

i'm here mainly because I have this image of how the Firespray might play out, tried it, and it totally didn't work out, and i'm trying to find what is the proper image for it, since mine is definitely inaccurate.

#8 Sanguinary Priest

Sanguinary Priest

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

It seems to me (albeit with no practical experience) that the Firespray (and to a greater extent the Mil Fac) should be used to strafe edges of furballs at range 2-3 rather than actually go through them.  I envision that using Boba and a heavy laser cannon would be quite effective in picking off stragglers.  You keep moving 3-4 every turn making soft turns (with Boba's ability to switch directions on the fly and the boost action from engine upgrades to further tweak movement after placing the dial) around the fights your fighter escort engage occasionally engaging those that come after you with the rear arc fire.  If they simply come after you and ignore the lesser ships, you barrel past with the exaggerated boost movement action.  Anyone tried this with any good effect?  The mil falc on the other hand feels in theory to be more of a strafer, going straight through enemy fighters doing korrigan flips as needed with nien nub negating the stress tokens the next turn. 

Can someone with the bigger ships check to see how far a forward 4 followed by a forward boost action with a falcon actually moves you compared to a smaller ship?   For instance, if you start with the front of the base of a falcon lined up exactly with an x-wing's base front.. what would the x-wing have to move  (in multiple moves obviously) to stay level with the falcon that did a forward 4 followed by a boost 1 forward?  I'm guessing due to the added base size that the x-wing would have to do an additional 3 or 4forward mo ve to keep up on top of normal movement forward 4.

#9 deviant-dj

deviant-dj

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

1 combo i have seen work exceptionally well is fett with push the limit. The utility of those 2 is disgusting, add the engine upgrade and you have a very fast moving ship with a hell of a lot of firepower. 

Personally id use the firespray to close to range 3 and in turn one unleash missiles or ion cannons then pick off the target with your fasterr stuff if for some reason its not dead. Doing that you make it a target, something your opponent has to deal with, because using push the limit and the boost icon you can always maneuver the ship so that it has something in either of its fire arcs. If for some reason your opponent decides to ignore the firespray then great, you just ion something and then use smaller ships to pick it off. Rinse repeat. If they go for the fire spray awesome, use a pair of tie ints to lay pain from the rear arcs. 

I play a lot of wargames and its a very common basic psychology tactic to make the big thing appear to be the most threat, because it causes your opponent to throw everything at it. I use it in 40k a lot, its won my tournements, i have no doubt it'll work in xwing with the bigger ships too

#10 deviant-dj

deviant-dj

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Heres a squad i came up with using fett and the ability to get multiple free actions in a turn.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Boba Fett
Firespray-31 (39)
Upgrades:
Push The limit (3)Ion Cannon (3)

Pilot: Soontir Fel
Tie Interceptor (27)
Upgrades:
Push The limit (3)

Pilot: Turr Phennir
Tie Interceptor (25)
Upgrades:
No Upgrades Selected

The entire squad is maneuverable and aggressive. It can close range and do damage, you use fett to ion cannon something and the ties to hammer tht target, then use thier bonus actions to get out of fire arcs or set up for the next run. The fact fett is always near the top of the stack and the fact he can change direction on e fly allows you to fnot only lure your opponent into wrong guessing your moves but also means you should if done correctly always have something in one of your arcs, with all the bonus boosts and barrel rolls foing on you should be able to even control swarms effectively

#11 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

consider this. the base itself is 2x2. on a normal ship, say a TIE/ln, a forward 5 will bring you 6 units ahead (a forward 0 would be "1unit" because you are also counting the ship itself in its new position, from the head of its previous position). with boost, that's a +2 = 8units

on a Falcon, a forward 4 will bring you 6 units ahead, then a boost will bring you another 3 units ahead = 9 units. 

#12 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

deviant-dj said:

1 combo i have seen work exceptionally well is fett with push the limit. The utility of those 2 is disgusting, add the engine upgrade and you have a very fast moving ship with a hell of a lot of firepower. 

Personally id use the firespray to close to range 3 and in turn one unleash missiles or ion cannons then pick off the target with your fasterr stuff if for some reason its not dead. Doing that you make it a target, something your opponent has to deal with, because using push the limit and the boost icon you can always maneuver the ship so that it has something in either of its fire arcs. If for some reason your opponent decides to ignore the firespray then great, you just ion something and then use smaller ships to pick it off. Rinse repeat. If they go for the fire spray awesome, use a pair of tie ints to lay pain from the rear arcs. 

I play a lot of wargames and its a very common basic psychology tactic to make the big thing appear to be the most threat, because it causes your opponent to throw everything at it. I use it in 40k a lot, its won my tournements, i have no doubt it'll work in xwing with the bigger ships too

so i should be going more for a hit and run approach? charge straight in, deliver a present, maybe drop a mine, then get out as far and fast as possible, turn around and repeat? interesting.

#13 deviant-dj

deviant-dj

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I wouldnt use the mines, the above list is 100 dead, and given the movement capability of the combo ive listed you can do either. Personally id hit and run

#14 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

Duraham said:

hmm, guess I do need to cut down on the ornaments. So far I usually have gunner, heavy laser, expert handling on it, barring occasional seasonal builds. I may be tempted to put in a mine just to see what else i could do with it, but that's about it. tried putting ship upgrades on it, but apart from boost, they aren't particularly useful in general

Let me draw an analogy: in Wave 1, there were a lot of attractive high-cost Rebel pilots. Lots of people went into matches with 3-ship Rebel builds running (e.g.) Wedge with R2-D2, Marksmanship, and proton torpedoes--and came away frustrated the X-wing's performance, because they don't last long enough to do any damage.

But it turns out that it's not a faction balance problem, or a problem with the X-wing. The problem is that people (definitely including me) were loading upgrades on Rebel ships far past the point of diminishing returns, and were getting torn up by Imperial builds with one or two flashy pilots and a whole lot of cheap muscle.

Now you're talking about a ship that's worth 55 or 60 points, and wondering why it doesn't last long enough to justify its cost--and you're completely right, but it's because I think you're loading the ship way past its sweet spot.

Try a list with the Bounty Hunter at 33 points, or maybe with Krassis + Heavy Laser Cannon at 42. As far as maneuvering goes, think of fighters as cavalry units and the Firespray as an artillery piece: your artillery might advance, but it's poorly suited to fast passes and slashing attacks. Good luck!

#15 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

Duraham said:

In short, I'm feeling really shortchanged with the Firespray, and before I condemn it to the box, I think there must be somewhere I'm doin it wrong. Any suggestions? so far I have made the following observations…

Most of your observations apply equally well to the X-wing. Lots of people have observed in the last couple of weeks that--expect for the size of the base--the Firespray looks a lot like an X-wing with twice the hp, and that's not a bad thing to be.

This is spot on…it is very similar to the x-wing except the X-wing has mostly Ties fshooting at it with only 2 attacks.  The Fire spray a has X-wings shooting at it with at least 3 attacks and it only has 2 defense so those extra HP only last so long expecially if the Rebel Player is using Wedge who will target the Firespray right away if he is smart and close the range.  If not using stealth (which has yet to work for me due to poor roles) the firespray is defending with 1 die against 3-4 depening on range.

I learned to have a couple of ties out front to block the incoming rebels and try to stay at range, but it can be difficult especially with obstacles and running into ships.  The couple of times I have persevered the firespray was down to 1-2 HP each time.

#16 deviant-dj

deviant-dj

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

I managed to try out the list i put up in the this thread, while it was a steep learning curve using the firespray the maneuverability that push the limit on fett has was truely terrifying. Most of the time i was able to get something in at least one of my fire arcs while using the tie ints to harrass and take out anything that the firespray couldnt fire at.

#17 SonicPara

SonicPara

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Krassis Trelix with a Heavy Laser Cannon at 43 points seems to be the way to go.  Take her and then use the other 57 points to bring a whole lot of basic TIEs with one scary one to draw aggro.

The Firespray-31 with this setup rolls 4 dice at all ranges.  Range 2-3?  Use the Heavy Laser Cannon.  Range 1?  Open up with primary weapons for 4 dice.

Trelix with the Heavy Laser Cannon single-handedly allows the Empire to fight at long range and forces the opponent to try to close the gap (directly into your TIEs which fight best at Range 1) to shut down the Firespray-31.

Seriously, try it out.  It is (relatively) cheap and super effective.

#18 WarLokk

WarLokk

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

SonicPara said:

Krassis Trelix with a Heavy Laser Cannon at 43 points seems to be the way to go.  Take her and then use the other 57 points to bring a whole lot of basic TIEs with one scary one to draw aggro.

The Firespray-31 with this setup rolls 4 dice at all ranges.  Range 2-3?  Use the Heavy Laser Cannon.  Range 1?  Open up with primary weapons for 4 dice.

Trelix with the Heavy Laser Cannon single-handedly allows the Empire to fight at long range and forces the opponent to try to close the gap (directly into your TIEs which fight best at Range 1) to shut down the Firespray-31.

Seriously, try it out.  It is (relatively) cheap and super effective.

I've been thinking along the same lines. 

I'm thinking of this:

Krassis + Heavy Laser Cannon

Howlrunner

Academy Pilot x3

97/100 Points.

I could also give Howlrunner a Stealth Mod to make the list 100.  Not sure if my luck can make the extra agility work though.  

Either way I plan on testing both out.

#19 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I didn't win a Firespray, but for what it's worth, in the Championship round of my club's KRT (using the stock lists), the Imp side handily defeated the Rebel side and both players were good players, so I really don't think it's the ship- the Champ lost one TIE/ In while tabling the Rebel side. 

As others have mentioned, try some different builds, take some different approaches to upgrades. You'll figure it out. It seems that including a ship like the Falcon or Slave I isn't an auto-win by any stretch, but by the same token, it isn't an auto-lose either. This game is fairly unlike any other minis game I've played in that there don't seem to be any units that are vastly under or overcosted. The balance and diversity between the Rebels and the Empire is nothing short of genius in my opinion. 

Also, as you've yourself noted OP, the ship moves very differently than the models you're used to moving. It's going to take a little time to adjust to that, but as I think most everyone would agree, the most important skill in this game is movement/ manuevering. It sounds as though you're still adjusting to that with this new ship. Give it some time, take your losses, and adjust accordingly bearing in mind what works for the internet may not be what works for you and your particular play style. 

Good luck!

#20 SonicPara

SonicPara

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Cid_MCDP said:

Also, as you've yourself noted OP, the ship moves very differently than the models you're used to moving. It's going to take a little time to adjust to that, but as I think most everyone would agree, the most important skill in this game is movement/ manuevering. It sounds as though you're still adjusting to that with this new ship. Give it some time, take your losses, and adjust accordingly bearing in mind what works for the internet may not be what works for you and your particular play style.

One trick to get acclimated with the Slave 1/Millenium Falcon is that their base is equal to a straight-2 maneuver in size as opposed to the small bases we have had which are equal to a straight-1.  This means that, when using the Slave 1/Millenium Falcon, your ship will always move the same as a small ship performing the same maneuver followed up with a straight boost.  The greater width of the new medium bases takes time to learn but the forward movement is simple to predict and understand if you break the game down and think in terms of the small-based ships we already have.

This trick also works for maintaining a formation during gameplay.  Want your Falcon or Slave 1 to anchor your force?  Move your small ships +1 speed greater than the medium ship and they will hold to formation (turns are a bit tricky as always though); a TIE moving straight-2 and a Firespray-31 moving straight-1 will end in formation if they started in formation.

TIE: Move (2) + Base (1) = 3 forward

Firespray-31: Move (1) + Base (2) = 3 forward

As for tactics, I recommend using the Slave 1 to be a long-range, damage support for your daredevil TIE pilots.  The Slave 1 has some beef but its health is less durable than a Rebel tank because it has X-wings with 3/4 dice shooting it instead of TIEs with 2/3 dice.  This is why Krassis Trelix with the Heavy Laser Cannon is such a good option.  Also, if you want to make use of mines, do yourself a favor and take Boba Fett.  Leave the Heavy Laser Cannon at home, take Expose and some mines, and use your surprising speed and pilot ability to fly through the furball, drop a mine, then open up with your rear arc and expose for 5 range 1 dice.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS