Struggling With The Hobbit!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GongShowHost

GongShowHost

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

My friend and I are playing fairly well-rounded Glorfindel/Beravor/Eowyn and Legolas/Elladan/Elrohir decks and we are just getting slaughtered in the first scenario! It feels like we easily quest through stage one and then the Trolls overrun us fairly quickly with Sacks, threat, and attacks. It seems like we should maybe hold out on rushing through Stage 1 to build up forces, but it's though to manage threat vs. quest progress. Do you guys have any pointers? Sneak Attack + Gandalf doesn't even take away have a Troll's life! What do you guys do?

#2 Pickles

Pickles

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

I quest very slowly through the first stage until I am ready. It is indeed a bit tricky to manage the theat/progress but I have only played it solo where it is less tricky (!).  It's easier if you have an active location out as you then have padding against over questing. Very low starting threat or Spirit (dormido) also help.

You want a troll camp & some Bilbo to unsack people. You have a bit of leeway to what threat you hit the trolls at as ideally you want to take the threat 23 one alone for a couple of turns (time to kill it) before the threat 33 one engages.

Getting the treasure is a whole other level …

#3 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

I just got this expansion over the holidays, and we also found it difficult.  We play 2-player, and have done the scenario 3 times.  The first time I play a scenario, I don't peek at the encounter deck. We finished quest 1B on round 1 and got slaughtered by the trolls after that.  Second time we tried to quest more slowly but overplayed our hand, and came on the trolls too early again.

3rd time we were were successful, and really enjoyed the quest.  We were more conservative while questing.  Don't be afraid to lose the questing phase on 1B -- progress = bad.  To counter that, include some threat-lowering cards.  You want to be able to eliminate one troll per turn, or better, once they come out.  We took down Tom first: Gimli with 4 damage on him (powered up by undefended crow attacks in the first stage), a Dwarrowdelf Axe, Goblin-cleaver, and two copies of Durin's Song took care of him.  After that, picking off one troll a turn is not bad, as long as you can handle the sacking.  We found it useful to have cheap allies with high stats to absorb some sacks (Winged Guardian, Defender of Rammas, Vassal of the Windlord).  Without that, you have no choice but to put sacks on  heroes.  My partner was using Dain and Thorin, so she always got 2 sacks (highest printed willpower, highest defense if no allies are present).  You'll be having the same trouble with Glorfindel (attack, HP, willpower) and Eowyn (willpower), which is gonna cripple one side of the table.  Try using heroes with more moderate stats, or at least some that tie the heroes on the other side of the table.

Good luck!

• silverthorn likes this

#4 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

Also, if you are lucky enough to get "Troll Camp" in play, Fast Hitches on Bilbo can work wonders.

#5 GongShowHost

GongShowHost

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Thanks guys! It appears these quests need more deck modification than the average one does!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS