Multiple Versions of Characters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jc1138

jc1138

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

What is your opinion on multiple versions of characters?  So far we only have a few: Gandalf, Aragorn, Glorfindel, Bilbo, and Boromir. 

Gandalf, Aragorn and Bilbo are of course "main characters" in the lore.  Boromir, despite his relative prominance in the film, only really has more than a passing mention in four chapters of the book: The Council of Elrond, The Ring Goes South, The Great River, and The Breaking of the Fellowship.  Glorfindel is only on a couple of pages, at least in LotR's proper (I know he features in other sources).  And yet, I think it's great that FFG's has printed multiple copies of these characters, and I'd love for them to make more, as the ones out so far haven't captured every facet of the characters.  Tactics and Leadership fit Boromir best (by far), but could there be a Lore version, representing him at the Council of Elrond when he shares a lot of information?  A Tactics and Spirit Aragorn make sense, and I don't think there is anything wrong with them making another Leadership and Lore one.  I'd also like to see Ally versions of some of the heroes, and certainly heroes of allies, especially Gandalf (my favorite character).  They already did it with Beorn.  I wonder how they could balance a Gandalf hero, however, as his ally version is so strong.  Perhaps they will give us Gandalf the White as a hero and keep Gandalf the Grey as an ally?

How many versions of a character would be too many?  Assuming the game keeps being made for several more years.

I'm a fan of multiple versions.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

this is something that is often discussed- for and against. personally im for anything that keeps the life of this game long. more versions=more cards.

also as you say theres different ways to portray characters. im most looking forward to seeing merry and pippin as shirelings and warriors

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Tomdidiot

Tomdidiot

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I want a non-Ally version of Faramir!

#4 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Somewhat of an injustice given how many characters Tolkien created throughout the his books, but I would agree, as long as it keeps the game going. 

#5 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

I would just like to see them fill out the roster of prominent characters before they start doing a lot of remakes or else the remakes of the important characters will seem stale.  Still waiting for hero or possibly ally versions of:

Merry 

Sam

Theodan

Eomer

Galadriel

Tom Bombadil (arguable)

Faramir (hero version)

Balin

Oin

Bard

>although the bottom three will likely all come in the next hobbit box

i still want to see a hero version of Haldir too

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#6 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Other possibilities for heroes we haven't seen yet:

Thranduil (although this brings up those weird situtaions where a hero can be going on a quest for himself)

Celeborn

Gwaihir (we had Beorn in bear form, so why not an eagle?)

Overall, I'm pretty happy so far with the mix of redoing old characters with slowly introducing the new ones. If we got them all at once, there wouldn't be anything left to wait for.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#7 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Raven1015 said:

Other possibilities for heroes we haven't seen yet:

Thranduil (although this brings up those weird situtaions where a hero can be going on a quest for himself)

Celeborn

Gwaihir (we had Beorn in bear form, so why not an eagle?)

Like if Faramir hero comes up?

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#8 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

The weird reposting of the unique rules in HoN implies that there will be heroes and allies with the same name.

#9 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

That's for sure. Infact, we already have.

#10 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

whom? too short

#11 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Beorn.          

#12 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Oh yeah, I didn't get OHaUH, seems like a not real part of the game. Seems like the cards are not really balanced for the rest of the stuff, maybe I only looked at the good cards, though. Thoughts? 

#13 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

I believe that ff began too early adding new versions of characters in the game , I mean , come on you have so many characters to add on from middle earths mythology guys

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS