Luck Skywalker Double Strike

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Majeh_XIII

Majeh_XIII

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hello i just looking for a clarification as to timing really.

Say i win the edge battle and swing with luke first, and kill the defenders with his 2 damage, When would i play double strike to remove the focus token. would it be after that combat has resolved so if i want luke to attack again its a seperate objective or can i play it in the same combat and have luke swing twice at the same objective?

#2 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

It looks like you could do either. After you resolve a strike, you have an opportunity to take player actions before an opponent would resolve a strike, even if they don't have any. So you could use it during an engagement resolution if you wanted Luke to strike twice during the same engagement, or you could do it after the egagement resolves if you want Luke to be able to begin another engagement.

You can check the flowcharts near the end of the rulebook to see when you can take player actions.

#3 Majeh_XIII

Majeh_XIII

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Thank you, that will make combat with luke more awesome

#4 Magni

Magni

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Reaction: After a Character unit is focused to strike, remove 1 focus token from that unit.

I assumed that because it says reaction: after he is focused it means as soon as he strikes you take it off. - this has come up in a few games for me and has led to arguements because ppl always be haten on luke.

+++ Engagement: Resolve Strikes +++

magni strikes with greedo for 2 unit damage to Han Solo and 1 Blast Damage.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:46 AM

Because Double Strike is a Reaction and not an Action, it must be used in response to Luke (or any other character unit) focusing to strike and could not be held until after the engagement.  Here's the rules text for Reactions from pg 25:

Reaction abilities are clearly labelled by the word
“Reaction” followed by effect text. Reactions may only be
resolved after a specified triggering condition occurs.
Unlike interrupts, which resolve before the triggering
condition is completed (and may change the outcome of
the triggering condition), reactions are played after the
effects of the triggering condition have resolved.
The active player has the opportunity to resolve the
first reaction to a triggering condition, followed by his
opponent. In this way, players execute one reaction at a
time until both players consecutively pass. Resolve each
reaction completely before the next is executed.
A card’s reaction effect may only be resolved once per
triggering condition.

#6 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

Sorry didn't realize it was a Reaction. Yes it must be used right after he strikes, so he only be able to strike again in the current engagment.

#7 Hurdoc

Hurdoc

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yes, Double Strike HAS to be used in combat right away because it's a reaction.

However, to the original poster's question, there are other cards that can remove  focus tokens in a similar fashion (Trust Your Feelings http://www.cardgamed...elings-core-1-5) that could be used both IN and OUT of combat to allow another strike.

#8 Majeh_XIII

Majeh_XIII

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

Cool Thanks for the clarifications

#9 SeerMagic

SeerMagic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

I disagree. The reaction is removing a focus token from him, not attacking twice. Nothing says you have to attack twice with him.

#10 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

SeerMagic said:

I disagree. The reaction is removing a focus token from him, not attacking twice. Nothing says you have to attack twice with him.

Except the base rules of the game listed on page 20.

By playing Double Strike you are likely are leaving Luke with no focus token (unless he is committed to the force) in which case he is unexhausted.  If you have any exhausted characters you must strike with them given the oppurtunity. 

#11 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

SeerMagic said:

No unit may end the engagement without at least one focus token on it. So the unit strikes, owner plays DOUBLE STRIKE, the oponent takes a strike (if able). And now the oryginal unit has no focus tokens and has to strike again before the engagement ends.

#12 SeerMagic

SeerMagic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Yep I was wrong, somehowI missed that they all have to have focus tokens to leave the engagement.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS