Awesome Troll Win

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Osbo25

Osbo25

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

When my wife and I play Talisman we each play three characters.  In the game that we finished last night (for our games typically last several days) I had the Cleric, the Troll, and the Valkyrie.  The Valkyrie was pretty useless throughout much of it.  She never could get any traction going.  The Cleric ran away with the game.  She had 16 strength and 16 craft without bonuses when she headed into the Dragon Tower.  My Troll had 14 strength but only 4 craft.

HOWEVER, my Troll also had the Soul Shatter spell (-2 lives on a character).  He and the Cleric both landed on the Plain of Peril, where he cast Soul Shatter on her.  Now the Cleric has a life value of only three.  She was down one life, so the spell killed her.  In so doing she dropped the Horns of Power (+1 st. +1 cr.), the Rage Talon (+2 st.), the Horned Owl (+1 cr.), the Wise Man (+1 cr.), the Tunnel Fighter (+1 st.), the Stryker (+2 st.), the Windlord Amulet (+2 cr.), the Black Unicorn (+1 st. +1 cr.), and a few other odds and ends.  Though my Troll went into the Dragon Tower with only a 4 craft, he stepped back out and went back in over his next two turns and managed to gain +6 through bonuses.  Grilipus was soon crowned king, but since he kept landing on Draw One Card spaces in the tower, he kept fighting off craft dragons one by one, each time gaining a craft from trophies.  By the end of the game he had 9 craft plus bonuses.

But it gets better.  In the fourth to last space before the Crown of Command Varthrax was king and the Troll drew four dragons with a total of 28 combined strength.  To make matters worse, one of them was the Two Headed Dragon, which gets two dice for its attack roll.  Between my strength, my bonuses and my tokens, I could only muster strength 30.  BUT then my wife rolled a 1 and 3 for the dragons' attack roll.  That puts me -6 against them.  And wouldn't you know it--I rolled a six!  It was a standoff!  I got to proceed to the next space, where I easily cruised in for the win.

Two other factors led to this amazing victory:

1) My wife was playing the Druid.  She was on the Oasis with a riding horse.  After I killed the Cleric and all those items and followers dropped, she was going to head in to claim them.  She rolled a 4 and a 1 for her movement roll.  She spent a fate to reroll the 1 and rolled another 1.  She couldn't get to the Plain of Peril to pick up all of the stuff that my Troll got.

2) We have a house rule when playing the Dragon Tower that you still have to have a Talisman to get into the Crown of Command.  My Cleric and my Troll both had a Talisman.  My wife let it slip that she had the Shatter spell and was going to destroy my Cleric's Talisman.  After my Troll killed the Cleric he claimed both Talismans so that he would always have one.  Well, my wife also had the Spell Recall spell.  But she didn't think about it until too late that she could have cast Shatter and then Spell Recall and then Shatter again to destroy both my Talismans.

So it definitely took several strokes of luck, but once my Troll made it to the Crown of Command the Ice Queen was no match for him.  (We still do alternate endings with the Dragon Tower.)

#2 Cruan

Cruan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

The Soul Shatter spell can only be cast on a character or creature you are about to engage in a psychic combat. The Troll cheated!

#3 Osbo25

Osbo25

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

Cruan said:

The Soul Shatter spell can only be cast on a character or creature you are about to engage in a psychic combat. The Troll cheated!

Thinking back through the chain of events, I think you may be right.  Because I remember reading that and thinking that the Troll was encountering the Cleric on the Plain of Peril, but since the Cleric got there first, once the Troll got there his turn should have ended and he would not have encountered her.

Well, it was still pretty cool nonetheless.  Thanks for catching this.

#4 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

You can encounter characters on the Plain of Peril, so you didn't do wrong with that :)

#5 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Nidhögg said:

You can encounter characters on the Plain of Peril, so you didn't do wrong with that :)

But the Troll, IIRC, doesn't have the choice about engaging in psychic combat, only physical combat.

#6 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

Kallabecca said:

Nidhögg said:

But the Troll, IIRC, doesn't have the choice about engaging in psychic combat, only physical combat.

I know. That was wrong played by him. Just pointed out that encountering in Plain of peril was not.

#7 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Kallabecca said:

Nidhögg said:

He could have. But only via that Bride follower, whatever her full name is.

#8 Tiggurix

Tiggurix

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

zealot12 said:

Kallabecca said:

Nidhögg said:

He could have. But only via that Bride follower, whatever her full name is.

Her full name is "The Bride", as she's a reference to "the Bride" of Frankenstein's Monster, who was featured in the second Universal Studios Frankenstein film, "The Bride of Frankenstein". =)

#9 Tiggurix

Tiggurix

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Ooops! Double post… They really should implement a way to delete one's posts…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS