Photo

Anyone Experimenting with 105, 110, or 120 Point Games?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mako13

Mako13

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

I see most people playing the 100 point games, especially at tournaments, but was thinking about increasing the point values a little to allow more pilot or weapon upgrades for some games.

I imagine that may work in some cases, but perhaps in others, different build points may favor one side, or the other.

Still, I think it might be interesting to try.

Thoughts?

#2 Joscha

Joscha

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

We played with 110 points at friday. It was good fun and we Rebels took some more equipment/named pilots than 'normal', which proved out to be decisive (Luke with R2D2). It was a close game with a Rebel win. Maybe the Imps could have won easily with academic pilots only, I don't know. They played 6 TIEs with some named pilots in the ranks plus an Interceptor. I'm not experienced enough yet to tell if bad powergaming is possible with more points. But I got the impression the point system is balanced enough though.

#3 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

We've also come to the conclusion that 100 points favours the Empire. You end up with 3 rebel ships with upgrades you don't really need, or 4 rebel ships without enough upgrades.

We've found that 120 points works well, and I suspect 80 points would also.

vs

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 70,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· Currently, I'm backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we've got to: Travels With Triplets.

#4 Gangrel

Gangrel

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

Going the other way, we played a 60 point tournament recently. Admittedly, it made for fast games, but certainly didn't seem to favour one faction or the other. The winner was a 2xX-Wing team.

#5 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

150 is the most we have played.

Enimo Et Fide

#6 Vojvoda13

Vojvoda13

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

I let my sons pick what ships they want and I build a force equal to what they build. Sometimes it is 101 point or other odd numbers. I have seen no real gamesmanship from them as they really just want cool ships and capabilities.

#7 Joscha

Joscha

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Vojvoda13 said:

I let my sons pick what ships they want and I build a force equal to what they build. Sometimes it is 101 point or other odd numbers. I have seen no real gamesmanship from them as they really just want cool ships and capabilities.

And isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Of course that doesn't work in tournaments. Well, maybe it could.

#8 Battle Damage

Battle Damage

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Played 120pts on a 3x6 table with double asteroids a few days back. Worked well, and didn't seem to change the balance. Took a long time though…

#9 Sgt. G

Sgt. G

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

i feel, that if your not gearing for a tourny..then play how ever mnay points you want/can.

If you have all day.. go big!!

if your pressed for time …shave it down.

my local group resently did a fan made senario with a corvett.. and each person got about 75 points..and some times they do just a single named ship per person. with 3-4 people per side.

It makes things alil more epic and fun..with out spending all night at the table..

But.. as i get more models..i will be playing larger games from time to time..

#10 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

I have been apart of a 200 pt game. It was 2 on 2, so around 100 pts each. That took a while. I think once wave 2-3 comes out, depending in wave 3 pts, 150 point will be normal. With the slave and falcon taking 50ish pts, rebels will have a hard time getting a 3 ship build. I like the falcon, but with an agility of 1, it gets damage fast. I think 150 is the next step.

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#11 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I've played 200pts a few times. If you play a lot and know what you are doing the game goes about a half hour longer.  We've found the following to hold true in points for dog fighting.

0-50 Rebels win most of the time.

51-80 50/50 split

81-100 empire wins most of the time

101-200 split

also take into account that in larger games we have at least one larger ship on a side. Often the falcon.  

We have also found that scenario games are more balanced 100% of the time. 

#12 lokirising

lokirising

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Biggest I've played is 200.

#13 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I played a 150 point game last Sunday. That was fun to be able to run a Firespray along with some decent pilots. Biggest mistake was I laid a proximity mine, then proceeded to run Soontir Fel right into it, right before Wedge would have hit it. Rolled 2 hits and a crit, dead Baron. It was all in good fun.

#14 saiharris

saiharris

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Im playing a lot of 150 now.

Its great because there are honestly so many options then.

#15 SEWeed

SEWeed

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Battle Damage said:

Played 120pts on a 3x6 table with double asteroids a few days back. Worked well, and didn't seem to change the balance. Took a long time though…

Why 3X6? was that just the table size available?

Why not 4X4 or some other configuration? Just curious. We set up on a ping pong table and it works quite well. So there is room to expand past the 3X3 if needed and I am just curious as to why you chose those dimensions? 

Thanks!

#16 CPTMcMurphy

CPTMcMurphy

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Played a 200 hundred point game.  I loaned my opponent my Slave 1 and he loaned me his Millium Falcon.  It was a fun match.  The nice thing was that when one of us had a bad turn of dice rolling, it did not spell complete desaster. 

#17 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

CPTMcMurphy said:

Played a 200 hundred point game.  I loaned my opponent my Slave 1 and he loaned me his Millium Falcon.  It was a fun match.  The nice thing was that when one of us had a bad turn of dice rolling, it did not spell complete desaster. 

You played a 20000 point game!?!

Be seeing you.

#18 binici

binici

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

I saw two players last night playing a 220 pt. game. It was huge and glorious. I recall the game taking about two hours.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS