Since, in all standard games, each player has to include three obstacles, I'd like to have a greater selection of obstacles to choose from, such as:
1. space debris - functions same as asteroids but looks different, like destroyed ships, hyperspace rings, etc.
2. weapons satellites - bought from the controlling player's points limit; functions like an immobile ship that attacks nearby enemies
3. mines - heck, we already have the tokens, I just want to be able to set up mines instead of asteroids
4. unarmed shuttles, transports, and refugee ships - moved by the controlling player and add points if they survive; can be attacked for points by the enemy; adds a little rpg element and excitement even to casual, standard, and tourniment games; armed ones can be bought using a player's points limit
5. large obstacle - instead of three small obstacles, a player may choose one big obstacle, like a space station, pirate asteroid base, customs corvette, or medical frigate that doesn't move but can shoot; bought from the controlling player's points and may be destroyed by enemy for points; unarmed Ithorian herd ships and larger refugee ships are other ideas that may be chosen for free and add points if they survive or can be destroyed by the enemy for points
These obstacles could be sold separately or included in OP kits and be made similar to how the asteroids and the Senator's Shuttle were made. Larger obstacles could be printed on and punched out from thick 8'x11' cardstock.
Think of the possibilities! Let your imaginations soar! What are some of your future obstacles ideas?