Photo

New obstacles ideas other than asteroids.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Since, in all standard games, each player has to include three obstacles, I'd like to have a greater selection of obstacles to choose from, such as:

1. space debris - functions same as asteroids but looks different, like destroyed ships, hyperspace rings, etc.

2. weapons satellites - bought from the controlling player's points limit; functions like an immobile ship that attacks nearby enemies

3. mines - heck, we already have the tokens, I just want to be able to set up mines instead of asteroids

4. unarmed shuttles, transports, and refugee ships - moved by the controlling player and add points if they survive; can be attacked for points by the enemy; adds a little rpg element and excitement even to casual, standard, and tourniment games; armed ones can be bought using a player's points limit 

5. large obstacle - instead of three small obstacles, a player may choose one big obstacle, like a space station, pirate asteroid base, customs corvette, or medical frigate that doesn't move but can shoot; bought from the controlling player's points and may be destroyed by enemy for points; unarmed Ithorian herd ships and larger refugee ships are other ideas that may be chosen for free and add points if they survive or can be destroyed by the enemy for points

These obstacles could be sold separately or included in OP kits and be made similar to how the asteroids and the Senator's Shuttle were made. Larger obstacles could be printed on and punched out from thick 8'x11' cardstock.

Think of the possibilities! Let your imaginations soar! What are some of your future obstacles ideas? 

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#2 executor

executor

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

i like the idea of the imobile space stations or turrets that fire when you get within range

or better yet rather than having them player controlled? why not have them pirate controlled so they shoot at anyone that comes within range 1 and fire with 2 attack dice?

opposing player rolls for the damage

perhaps a shield regenerator station that for the cost of 1 point of damage on your hull will fix up 1 shield point per turn? when coming within range 1 of it if you chose to do so but only if you used a green manuver to get within range of it?

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#3 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

On one side of the space stations, large ships, and small ships could be the "full health" version and flip it over when it is destroyed and there would be a "wrecked" version, which would operate as space debris (the same as asteroids).

As an alternative choice, a player could decide to pay points for, say, a full health large obstacle (a Corellian Corvette or pirate asteroid base, for example, to fight on his side) or flip the large obstacle over and, for free, start with the destroyed large obstacle (destroyed corvette or base) which would function as space debris/asteroid from the start - his force. thematically, would be checking out the destroyed base or ship.

That way, every piece of terrain could be used in multiple ways.

A future product could be called "X-Wing Miniatures Obstacles" and have several sheets of 8"x11" cardstock with obstacles to punch out very similar to how the current obstacles, tokens, and base tokens are done right now.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#4 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I'd love to see Space Troopers on an Asteroid or even free floating.

#5 Sancticaris

Sancticaris

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

ooohhh!  got a good one!

how about a narrow trench with laser turrets and a really small target at the end of it?   :P

ps.  many brain cells died to bring us this information!  lol

#6 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

yeah,
Stormtrooper721 said:

1. space debris - functions same as asteroids but looks different, like destroyed ships, hyperspace rings, etc.

I had this idea because I didn't like the idea of using asteroids on a deathstar board.
So I made wrecks … (I know some of you have seen these sorry for the repetition.)

Stormtrooper721 said:

What are some of your future obstacles ideas?

I'm working on turrets.
I've got 6 wrecked turrets made and painted

And I've started to put the paint on the 6 non-wrecked turrets

I would love to see FFG release some official scenery kits / rules.
I understand that at GenCon they had a demo game that involved Rebels 'destroying turrets to clear the path' does anyone have info on this?

Panic…

#7 Sgt. G

Sgt. G

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

yeah i LOVE your towers and table.. so much i recently printed off  those tiles and am in the process of having a 4x4 laminated board made..with removable trench..

now if i could just get some of those towers…..

msg me please Panic.

#8 charmorales

charmorales

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

great job looks amazing congrats

#9 binici

binici

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

I like the idea of having a Star War X-Wings Obstacles Pack.

We can sure incorporate new ideas and game mechanics to keep this game fresh and dynamic.

#10 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I would be okay with some larger asteroid tokens, call them "Alderaan."

Actually, I was thinking about tokens of destroyed ships, and whenenver a ship is destroyed, place the appropriate token there, and it works like an asteroid.

Could also do something like Black Holes, where if you stop within Range 1 of it, you roll for damage.

#11 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

those wreck markers are awesome.  You could even add them to an existing game - when you destroy a ship, replace it with a wreck marker that keeps moving in the same direction as its last movement after its been destoryed.  Moving asteroids!

#12 RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

I like all of these ideas. :) 

Sort of reminds me of the space battles in Star Wars: Empire at War (RTS for PC)

I have ships. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS