Why are they objectives?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

So I'm idily flipping through the rule book (occasionally it's nice to have the physical instead of the digital) just making sure I haven't missed anything before Game Day tomorrow when something  jumped out at me.

On page 15 it describes the winning conditions, both sides have the victory condition of "The [Opposing] player must draw a card from his command deck or objective deck, but that deck is empty" (emphasis added)

Lets look at that for a second.  The initial extra objective is placed back under the Objective Deck, so there's still 7 cards in there.  There is no stipulation for a Objective Discard pile.  Discarding (page 13) is described as going to the Command Deck Discard Pile, Token pool, or Availble Force Cards pile.

If 3 DS Objectives are in the LS victory pile the game ends, so there should never be less than 5 cards in the DS Objective Deck.  As the DS I can destroy no more than 6 Objectives without winning (that includes the worst case scenario of the dial reducing cards) so there's still at least 1 card remaining*.

The other tricky bit to this is found on Page 23 under "Destroyed Objectives", I'll quote the second paragraph:

Immediately after an LS objective card is placed in the DS victory pile, the DS player advances the Death Star dial one points for each LS objective card in his victory pile" (empahsis adjusted)

The wording for the other side is very similar, specifing "DS cards" in the victoy pile and not just "cards".  While the definition of "Victory pile" on page 13 read "a player's collection of destroyed enemy objective cards"

Anyway, this was a lot of words to say that your Objective deck should never run out and the rules aren't in place for it ever too run out.  But whay are they called Objectives in the first place.  They are your Objectives, but the only one who seems to go after them is your opponent.  

So is this a needless rule?  Are we going to have an addendum/eratta that adds a Objective Discard Pile?  Or are we going to have the ability to place our objectives in our own Victory pile?

* 1 implies that the sixth objective destroyed was "A Journey to Degobah", and while technically the intterupt happens to replace it before it is added to the DS Victory Pile and the Dial is advanced 6 points leaving only one card you'll realistically never have less than 2 cards in your Objective Deck.  

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#2 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

you missed it. DS possible win conditions does not include destorying 3 objectives, this is only a LS win condition.

#3 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Rogue 3 said:

you missed it. DS possible win conditions does not include destorying 3 objectives, this is only a LS win condition.

Where did I even imply it?  I mention the DS destroying 6 objectives, I think it's obvious I knew that.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#4 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I assume they are just covering their bases so the don't have to retcon their rules.  As expansions come out, I could see a Light Side "Reverse the Clock" deck that is all about forcing the clock backwars.  5 cost event that moves the clock back one click, two if the force is in your favor.  An objective that never moves the DSD when it is destroyed.  There are a ton of possibilities here, and in 4 years when they have a pool of 200 Objective sets, this might be an issue.  They are writing rules for a game that isn't ever going to be "done" until they stop printing expansions.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

LMKComaBlack nailed it. The basic rules have to cover what-ifs for lots of situations, even some that are not currently possible.

#6 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

I think they've added that just for design space later on, including that highly unlikely win condition in case in the future as-yet-unreleased cards might create that scenario. Right now, yes, we have only a few effects that can lower the Death Star dial, and nothing that would discard cards from your opponent's objective deck or that can effect their victory pile.

But that doesn't mean that'll always be the case. Maybe someday there will be enough anti-Death Star dial cards in the game that you could see an empty objective deck, or perhaps a future effect that will remove a destroyed objective from the victory pile (the VP is out-of-play, but FFG has also given themselves room to make such a card by saying certain effects can specifcally target out-of-play areas).

FFG is just covering their bases, establishing that an empty objective deck is a loss condition, even though with the current card pool there is no way, practically, that that could happen.

#7 ndavis678

ndavis678

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

These guys answered it pretty well, basically it gives them wiggle room. Also, you never know if they might give the ability to either side to "mill" objective cards from the decks. Just opens up more options in the future.

#8 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Yeah, I could totally see some kind of ability that lets you, say, draw X number of Objectives, pick one Objective card and discard the rest when you have to replace a destroyed one.  Basically letting you get an Objective you really want into play on the table at the cost of sacrificing some of the deck.  You could call the Imperial version Our Scout Ships Have Reached Dantooine, the Jedi version Things You Will See, etc.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS