Two questions about icons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

1. If a Unit has only two conflict icons, and both are edge-dependent, and you have them participate in a conflict, but loose the edge battle, do they still have to focus and strike, even though they don't really do anything?

2. Can a Unit with no combat icons participate in a challenge as an attacker or defender? Do they focus and "strike", even though they have no icons?

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#2 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

For instance, if Advisor to the Emperor engages in a conflict, but I lose the edge battle, does he focus and strike, effectively doing nothing?

If C-3PO or Corellian Engineer enter into conflict, given that nothing somehow adds icons to them, do they focus and "strike", even though they have no conflict icons?

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

I just looked this up the other day because I had the same question. Focusing to strike is not optional. All units participating in an engagement will not leave the engagement without a focus token (barring effects like Tallon Roll). Either they'll receive a focus token from your opponent, preventing them from striking, or you will be forced to focus them to strike. You can't choose not to strike, even if you have no combat icons.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

So, one could have them enter into a conflict, simply in hopes that they live through it, and it does not go undefended, or something like that? Perhaps just have them join in because of some effect that they have. But, when they inevitably focus to "strike", nothing happens.

I guess that makes sense. 

#5 ndavis678

ndavis678

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Exactly, remember. If that's all you have to defend with it's not a bad idea to just send one/both in to defend. If you don't you basically give them the edge in that battle and allow them to do one damage to your objective for being unopposed, where there is a chance you could even win the edge battle, stopping them from getting their edge dependent icons and maybe even getting a heat of battle and doing some damage to theres. Going into battle isn't always about making sure you do damage, sometimes you gotta go in to try to prevent what damage you can.

#6 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Budgernaut said:

I just looked this up the other day because I had the same question. Focusing to strike is not optional. All units participating in an engagement will not leave the engagement without a focus token (barring effects like Tallon Roll). Either they'll receive a focus token from your opponent, preventing them from striking, or you will be forced to focus them to strike. You can't choose not to strike, even if you have no combat icons.

Just a note: using Tallon Roll during Engagement Resolution won't allow a unit to leave without a focus token; it'll force you to focus them again. Any ready participating unit has to be focused before the engagement can end. So if you can remove a focus token from a unit that has already struck, you will strike with that unit again during that engagement.

#7 Magni

Magni

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

Same thing with the Jedi Double Strike card, as soon as you strike it removes the focus, you then must strike again. because you cant leave the  engement with being exausted.

Magni

+++ Engagement: Resolve Strikes +++

magni strikes with greedo for 2 unit damage to Han Solo and 1 Blast Damage.

#8 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

divinityofnumber said:

For instance, if Advisor to the Emperor engages in a conflict, but I lose the edge battle, does he focus and strike, effectively doing nothing?

If C-3PO or Corellian Engineer enter into conflict, given that nothing somehow adds icons to them, do they focus and "strike", even though they have no conflict icons?

assuming the engineer focuses and strikes alone in an unopposed attack (but does nothing due to the lack of icons), the 1 damage for unopposed is still dealt to the engaged objective, correct?

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#9 bergs206

bergs206

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

From the rule book: 

"If all of a player’s participating ready units are exhausted, but his opponent’s are not, the opponent continues to focus and strike with his ready participating units, resolving one strike at a time, until all participating units are exhausted."

Essentially all of the participating units in a conflict must be exhausted before it ends.  If the unit has no icons, it still strikes but nothing happens.

Also from the rule book:

"Any participating unit (attacking or defending) that has not been destroyed by the end of the resolve strikes step is considered to have survived the engagement.

If at least one attacking unit has survived, and there are no surviving defenders, this is an unopposed engagement and the attacking player deals one bonus damage to the engaged objective card. This is known as an unopposed bonus. 

if the engaged objective was destroyed before the reward unopposed step, there is no unopposed bonus."

Any unit can grant an unopposed bonus, as long as there are no defenders.  Icons do not matter in this regard.

BTW, Divinity how are you liking the game?

Howlrunner:  Right now I feel like I could take on the whole Rebel Alliance myself. ...

Ten minutes later...  

Howlrunner:  Hey look I did...

#10 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

bergs206 said:

Well, to be honest, I haven't played a real game yet. I have played a few games, but they were spent teaching someone how to play, so there was a lot of open-handed play, and things of that nature. 

I have, however, spent a lot of time sitting at my kitchen table shuffling, drawing opening hands, and pretending to play…

#11 bergs206

bergs206

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

divinityofnumber said:

bergs206 said:

Well, to be honest, I haven't played a real game yet. I have played a few games, but they were spent teaching someone how to play, so there was a lot of open-handed play, and things of that nature. 

I have, however, spent a lot of time sitting at my kitchen table shuffling, drawing opening hands, and pretending to play…

Took us a few games to figure out everything. However, once you get the basics it goes pretty well. Also, thanks for the deck building tips. They helped quite a bit.

Howlrunner:  Right now I feel like I could take on the whole Rebel Alliance myself. ...

Ten minutes later...  

Howlrunner:  Hey look I did...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS