Playing Online: Cards & Counters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

WFRP3 is pretty easy to teach when you can lay it all out in front of people. I was considering getting some online friends into playing but I can't figure out how to get them set up easily with cards and recharge tokens and stance meters without getting them to invest $100+, which seems a bit much to me to try out a game. How do other folks handle this kind of thing?

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

First, the player's guide is $24 PDF.  It has the non-counters ability to play (just like with counters, except people use a pen and paper)

Second, Maptool (free) or Fantasy Grounds (pay) are virtual tabletops that many of us here have used over the years to play.

I recommend starting wtih Maptool (rptools.net) ..download and watch the tutorials.  Next, download the WFRP3 platform from Gitzman's gallery so that you don't have to deal with any of that crap.

#3 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

I have Gitzman's maptools setup, but boy it doesn't look that nice. My main concern is just making this all easy to keep the learning curve on the player end as low as possible. Will have to take another loot at the latest MapTools/Gitzmans

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

To keep the learning curve down, I would start with a slimmed-down BASIC WFRP3 GAME.  It's what I do at game conventions.

1.  Don't use talents.  Just give a bonus to specialization instead on their character.

2.  Skip the party sheet.

3.  Skip the stance dice (out that in the "advanced game.")

4.  Skip special action cards and just use melee attack/ranged attack initially (just like in all other games).  Again, you can out those in the advanced game.

5.  Defenses:  Don't use the recharge.  Just make it "always on."  

Those 5 things makes the game fun, but without all the crap that just confuses people.

So then:  You're only dealing with people having to move tokens on the board and click in how many dice to roll.

For example an attack comes down to:  4 blue, 1 purple, 1 yellow, 1 black and maybe a  bonus white for a "specialization".

Start your crew out with all non-spellcasters.  If someone wants to run a spellcaster, they'd better damn well learn the game and own the player's guide! ;)

jh

#5 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hey Devout,

We have an online community that specialize in playing WFRP3 online, through Maptool and FG2. You can see the link to the community (Google Group) in my signature. We have ~ 1 game a month, sometimes more. Next game will be mid-January. 

Check it out, we also have thread on how to set-up and use Maptool or FG2, and you can ask questions.

Cheers

Ceodryn

#6 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Ach! Of course!

I normally view this site on my tablet and the browser doesn't like GoogleGroups. Will have to remember to check it out on the PC tomorrow!

#7 Mestre dos Magos

Mestre dos Magos

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

Fantasy Grounds II, coupled with the wfrp3 community created and supported ruleset for it, is in my opinion the best experience you will get, for playing it online.

The downside of course is the price, but I would say to you: try the demo out, see if your group would be up for it.

Now, I own am Ultimate License for FGII, it is expensive: 150 dollars, most people would say it is too much and I agree, but if you try it out and like it, it is a good investiment in my opinion.

It is activelly maintained and updated, and the ultimate license works like this: you buy it, and your friends (any number of them) can connect without a license, to your games.

There are other options, you could buy the full license for 40 dollars, and your friends the lite version (allowing them to play) for 25.

Still some will say it is expensive, I would say it is less than going out and watching a movie nowadays anyways… and cheap for the prolonged fun.

Give it a try, download the demo, visit the wfrp3 community mentioned in other topics and test the ruleset out… 

I think i should also mention i use teamspeak or skype, to connect everyone too

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS