Jump to content



Photo

Sleeves? and tournament rules


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Acemclaren

Acemclaren

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

So my question is how many sleeves would one need to get per deck roughly? I ask this because I wanted to play in tournaments and wanted to know how many sleeves I should pick up.

How are tournaments going to be ran? Will I need two faction decks one light one dark.?

 

Thank you for the help!



#2 Totengraber

Totengraber

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

For tournaments you have to use at least 10 Objective Sets, which are 6 cards each. Since you will need to separate the objectives from the other cards and probably sleeve them differently, that is 50 cards in the regular deck and 10 in the objective deck. You will then likely sleeve the Affiliation card and the Force markers as well, but differently from the other cards and from each other.

 

So, total sleeves in a minimum-size deck (assuming you will sleeve everything) = 64



#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Also, you will need both a LS deck and DS deck.

#4 Acemclaren

Acemclaren

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

So assuming i do this ill need 3or different types of sleeves or color? Per deck 50-10-5lol is that right? Im just trying to understand before i purchase sleeves thx

#5 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

    Member

  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

Acemclaren said:

So assuming i do this ill need 3or different types of sleeves or color? Per deck 50-10-5lol is that right? Im just trying to understand before i purchase sleeves thx

 

You do not need different color sleves, it's just a convience thing.  You could get away with just 60 sleeves per side to take care of your Objective deck and Command deck.

To that point this is how I sleeved my cards

LS Objectives: White
LS Command: Blue
LS Factions: Yellow
LS Force: Clear

DS Objectives: Black
DS Command: Red
DS Factions: Green
DS Force: Clear

The seperation of colored sleves lets you eaisly seperate the cards when it comes time to play, but is by no means necessary.

My current storage setup:


Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 


#6 Ulairi

Ulairi

    Member

  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

Acemclaren said:

So assuming i do this ill need 3or different types of sleeves or color? Per deck 50-10-5lol is that right? Im just trying to understand before i purchase sleeves thx

 

You do not need different color sleves, it's just a convience thing.  You could get away with just 60 sleeves per side to take care of your Objective deck and Command deck.

To that point this is how I sleeved my cards

LS Objectives: White
LS Command: Blue
LS Factions: Yellow
LS Force: Clear

DS Objectives: Black
DS Command: Red
DS Factions: Green
DS Force: Clear

The seperation of colored sleves lets you eaisly seperate the cards when it comes time to play, but is by no means necessary.

My current storage setup:

 

 

My only problem with that is, shouldn't all the cards in a deck be sleeved the sameway? 



#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Ulairi said:

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

 

Acemclaren said:

So assuming i do this ill need 3or different types of sleeves or color? Per deck 50-10-5lol is that right? Im just trying to understand before i purchase sleeves thx

 

You do not need different color sleves, it's just a convience thing.  You could get away with just 60 sleeves per side to take care of your Objective deck and Command deck.

To that point this is how I sleeved my cards

LS Objectives: White
LS Command: Blue
LS Factions: Yellow
LS Force: Clear

DS Objectives: Black
DS Command: Red
DS Factions: Green
DS Force: Clear

The seperation of colored sleves lets you eaisly seperate the cards when it comes time to play, but is by no means necessary.

My current storage setup:

 

 

 

 

My only problem with that is, shouldn't all the cards in a deck be sleeved the sameway? 

The way he listed them they are. Objectives and command decks are shuffled separately and faction and force cards are not part of any deck.

 



#8 Ulairi

Ulairi

    Member

  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

Toqtamish said:

Ulairi said:

 

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

 

Acemclaren said:

So assuming i do this ill need 3or different types of sleeves or color? Per deck 50-10-5lol is that right? Im just trying to understand before i purchase sleeves thx

 

You do not need different color sleves, it's just a convience thing.  You could get away with just 60 sleeves per side to take care of your Objective deck and Command deck.

To that point this is how I sleeved my cards

LS Objectives: White
LS Command: Blue
LS Factions: Yellow
LS Force: Clear

DS Objectives: Black
DS Command: Red
DS Factions: Green
DS Force: Clear

The seperation of colored sleves lets you eaisly seperate the cards when it comes time to play, but is by no means necessary.

My current storage setup:

 

 

 

 

My only problem with that is, shouldn't all the cards in a deck be sleeved the sameway? 

 

 

The way he listed them they are. Objectives and command decks are shuffled separately and faction and force cards are not part of any deck.

 

 

Then his system is brilliant. I wonder how many core sets he has. From the photograph, it looks like he was 3 cores. Since we can only have, at most 2x of any objective set, it seems that 2 cores should cover it. 



#9 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

    Member

  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Ulairi said:

Then his system is brilliant. I wonder how many core sets he has. From the photograph, it looks like he was 3 cores. Since we can only have, at most 2x of any objective set, it seems that 2 cores should cover it. 

That is only two core sets shown in the picture.  And the extra "Limit 1" Objective sets as well as the extra force and faction cards are under the center part of the box.  There are excess packages of sleeves behind the cards though (wanted to be ready for a Force Pack or two).

 


Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 


#10 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

    Member

  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I play a few different games, and do too much deck building to have different color sleeves for anything. I just buy hundreds and hundreds of the same color sleeves. 


Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com


#11 Acemclaren

Acemclaren

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

OK so I guess my next question is with all of those choices how many of each color sleeve did you have to buy? Thanks! - I also bought the same as you two core sets.



#12 musket_max

musket_max

    Member

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I got prematurely excited about the game and got the old star wars sleeves, the Han, Vader, Yoda, Boba and X-wings attacking a star destroyer ones, each one has 50 cards, so I've sleeved each LS reserve deck with either yoda or han, boba and vader for the DS decks. The Objective decks of either side I'm using the X-Wing sleeves, same with the Affiliation cards and the Force indicators. It's worked out pretty much exact as the 50 reserve deck cards is perfect, while the 4x10 objective decks, 4 affiliation and 6 force markers similarly perfectly fits. Best of all it's a complete star Wars overload, even if Imperial navy with Boba backs isn't too thematic.

They're sold out on FFG but I got mine from an Amazon seller.



#13 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

    Member

  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Acemclaren said:

OK so I guess my next question is with all of those choices how many of each color sleeve did you have to buy? Thanks! - I also bought the same as you two core sets.

I purchased 5 packs each of the Red and Blue and 2 packs each of the Black and white.  You'll notice I have some extras in the back and there's a full pack of each of the colors.  I sleeve a lot of cards for board games so I often have spare sleeves lying around (I think I've got a 500 count card box full of sleeves of a dozen or so colors), and I filled out the rest from that supply.

I have a full pack (and then some) of each of the colors I bought, so you could get away with just 4 and 1, but I wanted extras on hand for Force Packs.


Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 


#14 Acemclaren

Acemclaren

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I ended up following the original suggestion of the colored sleeves I think it will work out nicely  - Thank you guys very much for your help!



#15 alpha5099

alpha5099

    Member

  • Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Glad I'm not the only one with an insane sleeving system. In AGOT, I sleeve all my decks based on the factions (Stark in white, Baratheon in green, and so on), and all my non-draw deck cards are in same colored sleeves (plots in brown sleeves, agendas and House cards in black). I'm going to try the opposite approach here: two different colors for command decks on each side, and I'll sleeve the objectives and affiliation card with the color appropriate to each faction. So far I haven't yet had the opportunity to sleeve any command decks, but I did sleeve all my objectives in their respective colors.

Black: DS command deck
Blue: Imperial Navy objectives
Red: Sith objectives
Green: Scum objectives

White: LS command deck
Brown: Jedi objectives
Orange: Rebel objectives
Yellow: Smuggler objectives

Obviously, I'll need to resleeve some objectives when I transfer neutral objectives between decks or if I want to splash some out-of-affiliation objectives in a deck, but resleeving a couple cards is nothing compared to whole decks. The Rebel color scheme is definitely closer to red than it is to orange, but I don't have multiple shades of red sleeves. The Rebel shade of red more orange than the Sith's red, and plus orange works as the color of Rebel flightsuits. Finally I have my Force cards, all sleeved in purple, because it's my remaining sleeve color, I love the shade of purple that Ultra Pro uses, and FFG honestly doesn't provide me as many opportunities to use those sleeves. (Netrunner, where I use the purple/green color scheme of the original version for my corp/runner sleeving, and LotR, where my Leadership heroes are sleeved in purple.)



#16 sinnerfold

sinnerfold

    Member

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

divinityofnumber said:

I play a few different games, and do too much deck building to have different color sleeves for anything. I just buy hundreds and hundreds of the same color sleeves. 

 

This. Mix and match all you like.



#17 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

alpha5099 said:

In AGOT, I sleeve all my decks based on the factions (Stark in white, Baratheon in green, and so on)

Shouldn't Baratheon be sleeved in yellow?



#18 Ulairi

Ulairi

    Member

  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

MarthWMaster said:

alpha5099 said:

 

In AGOT, I sleeve all my decks based on the factions (Stark in white, Baratheon in green, and so on)

 

 

Shouldn't Baratheon be sleeved in yellow?

 

Comes in a green box 



#19 alpha5099

alpha5099

    Member

  • Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Ulairi said:

MarthWMaster said:

 

alpha5099 said:

 

In AGOT, I sleeve all my decks based on the factions (Stark in white, Baratheon in green, and so on)

 

 

Shouldn't Baratheon be sleeved in yellow?

 

 

 

Comes in a green box 

Yeah, they're sleeved based on the color FFG uses for the cards, not the House colors. Baratheon is green in-game, so they're in green sleeves. Lannister would probably prefer to be in red, Targaryen in black, but their cards are yellow and red, so that's what they're sleeved in.

The one exception is Greyjoy, whose color according to FFG is kind of a slate grey. Black would be the best fit (and is one of the canonical house colors to boot), but when I was buying my sleeves when I first started out, both Cool Stuff Inc. and Miniature Market were sold out of black Ultra Pro sleeves, so I opted for blue. I've now picked up black sleeves for Star Wars, but I like the blue sleeves I've been using, so Greyjoy will stay blue.



#20 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

Interesting that they didn't go with the House colors. I guess I never really noticed it because I've only played a bit, and have tended to focus on Stark and Targaryen.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS