Questions on differences from the Beta

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

When the Beta updates ended, there were still a number of issues with OW. Can someone with book clear any of these up for me?

• The Ogryn. Poor guy had no way to boost his Unnatural characteristics, and the lack of a weapon upgrade that made something Ogryn-Proof means he was very limited in melee weapon choice. 
  • The Enginseer. His ability to choose cybernetics had no Availability cap on it, allowing him to grab anything he wanted. Synthmuscle and Subdermal Armour made him pretty amazing in my game.
  • Scatter weapon quality. The Beta had it using Dark Heresy's version of the rules (extra hits at Short Range) instead of the more recent one (bonuses to hit and to damage at Point-Blank and Short Range.)
  • Vehicles catching fire. Flame Bomb Grenades lit vehicles on fire, almost instantly causing Critical Damage due to how vehicles catching fire worked.

If anyone else from the Beta has similar questions, please ask them in here.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#2 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Plushy said:

• Vehicles catching fire. Flame Bomb Grenades lit vehicles on fire, almost instantly causing Critical Damage due to how vehicles catching fire worked.

I thought that was fixed in the last update of the beta. From what I recall you get a bonus to the test to avoid catching on fire based on the armour of the vehicle. That is not to say that flame bombs should have no chance of hurting a vehicle but it shoulnd't be quite so easy to set a tank on fire as it is to burn a humanoid target.

#3 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

Plushy said:

• Scatter weapon quality. The Beta had it using Dark Heresy's version of the rules (extra hits at Short Range) instead of the more recent one (bonuses to hit and to damage at Point-Blank and Short Range.)

Don't really know about the others, but is has been noted that the rulebook says one thing (the original Dark Heresy version) while the GM's screen says another (the Black Crusade version). Derp….

#4 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

borithan said:

Plushy said:

Don't really know about the others, but is has been noted that the rulebook says one thing (the original Dark Heresy version) while the GM's screen says another (the Black Crusade version). Derp….

Aye, I noticed that too - gonna be using the GM Screen version, it's less hassle and makes more sense for what shotguns actually do.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#5 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

Only war hasn't been out for quite a week yet. I'm sure we'll soon see an errata PDF and I am almost as sure they will go with the BC version.

#6 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,809 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Radwraith said:

Only war hasn't been out for quite a week yet. I'm sure we'll soon see an errata PDF and I am almost as sure they will go with the BC version.

And once it's out, it's unlikey to be updated very often, so try and get all the errors pointed out quickly!

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#7 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

We still don't know what purity seals do.

There's part of me that thinks it's some kind of elaborate joke, that they actually don't do anything but they have such prestige around them they're worth 8 points during Regiment creation.

#8 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

WittyDroog said:

We still don't know what purity seals do.

There's part of me that thinks it's some kind of elaborate joke, that they actually don't do anything but they have such prestige around them they're worth 8 points during Regiment creation.

That's brilliant.

I had a GM rule that they let you roll a d10 after you spent a Fate Point, and that on a 9 or 10 you got to keep it. But I like your idea better reir

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#9 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

I can't remember which incarnation/edition it was, but purity seals were puchsed as add-ons to plasma weapons for the IG, allowing the player to re-roll to-hit rolls of 1 to mitigate overheat casualties. You could work purity seals from that angle. Or, have them reduce Corruption Points, or have them lower the effects of Malignancies by one category. Or, as they do in the Current Black Templars codex, allow PCs to increase their movement, adding their Agility Bonus to their Charge range. Or, as in the 3rd Ed Space Marine codex, where they allowed for a re-roll of failed Leadership Tests, they could provide a bonus to WP Tests vs. Fear, say +5?

Any number of things they could do, really.

#10 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Plushy said:

That's brilliant.

I had a GM rule that they let you roll a d10 after you spent a Fate Point, and that on a 9 or 10 you got to keep it. But I like your idea better reir

There's part of me that wants to take the suggested ideas that they help resist fear, help against corruption, do fate points like you said, but recently I've been really pondering about it and I think from a setting standpoint I'm going to have them just be fancy scraps of scripture and nothing more than that. They're not supernatural, they can't actually protect you from a demonic strike, they're a gesture essentially. Mechanically speaking they wouldn't provide any out of the ordinary bonus, HOWEVER, when dealing with citizens of the Imperium or perhaps the Astartes the sight of the purity seals might help to show the value of your honor/duty, the value of your status, and that you do not mess around. As such I would consider that citizens who are indifferent to the average Guardsman might have a different level of cooperation/hostility towards the purity seal bearer that would affect interaction tests.

Basically I'm thinking of making them roleplaying aids rather than combat aids.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS