Question about Boromir

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joker5893

joker5893

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

His Action says raise threat by 1 to ready Boromir. I came into an instance where I just had to kill a creature to win. Can i keep raising threat to ready and use him to attack or can i only do this once per turn.

#2 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

You can use his ability more than once per turn.

However you cannot attack the same enemy engaged with you more than once per turn….

Carlos José Matos

#3 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

CJMatos said:

You can use his ability more than once per turn.

However you cannot attack the same enemy engaged with you more than once per turn….

Technically that is not entirely accurate. On p20 of the rulebook the part about attacking enemies during the combat phase:

"A player has the opportunity to declare 1 attack against each enemy with which he is engaged"

However you can still use something like quick strike to attack an enemy either before or after (and in addition to) this step.

#4 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Quick strike, no, as you are required to declare the attack in order to deal damage.  You can use it to attack out of phase, but not to attack the same enemy twice.

#5 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

GrandSpleen said:

Quick strike, no, as you are required to declare the attack in order to deal damage.  You can use it to attack out of phase, but not to attack the same enemy twice.

Is there a definate clarification on that? Because I don´t see that from the rules quote: "A player has the opportunity to declare 1 attack against each enemy with which he is engaged" which is specifically stipulated under the "players attack enemies" part of the combat phase.

This rule I read as, you can declare 1 attack against each enemy engaged with you specifically during this phase of the game, where attacks are to normally take place. In no place do I see it stating that you can only attack each enemy once during the entire round.

If I´m wrong then please point to where my logic is faulty or an FAQ that states otherwise.

#6 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Nerdmeister said:

GrandSpleen said:

Is there a definate clarification on that? Because I don´t see that from the rules quote: "A player has the opportunity to declare 1 attack against each enemy with which he is engaged" which is specifically stipulated under the "players attack enemies" part of the combat phase.

This rule I read as, you can declare 1 attack against each enemy engaged with you specifically during this phase of the game, where attacks are to normally take place. In no place do I see it stating that you can only attack each enemy once during the entire round.

If I´m wrong then please point to where my logic is faulty or an FAQ that states otherwise.

FAQ, point 1.11

"(1.11) Limitations on Attacks

When a player is the active attacker during the combat phase, the game rules grant him the option to declare 1 attack against each enemy with which he is engaged. If, through card effects such as ranged, a player is able to declare attacks against enemies with which he is not engaged, he is still only permitted a single attack against each of these enemies.
Characters are not limited as to how many times they can participate in attacks against the same enemy, provided each attack can be legally declared, and the character is ready and eligible to be declared as an attacker."

Attack legally declared are the following IMO:

- Against engaged enemies - 1 attack per enemy - all characters you control;

- Against another player engaged enemies - 1 attack per enemy - all characters with ranged keyword;

- Against enemies in staging area - 1 attack per enemy - only Dunhere or Hands upon the Bow (with ranged character);

- All previous with Quick Strike;

When joining another player declared attack with a ranged character you are not declaring an attack, you are simply joining it.

Carlos José Matos

#7 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Sorry CJMatos but I´m not fully understanding wether or not you are in agreement that quick strike (and hands upon the bow for that matter) can be used to attack an enemy in addition to the normally declared attack during a round of play.

#8 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

In the passage that CJMatos cited, I think the text "through card effects" applies for Quick Strike, and suggests that Quick Strike does indeed take up your 1  attack on that enemy.

#9 revolution.hk

revolution.hk

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

how about a ranged hero use quick strike to attack an enemy not engaged to him, then another hero controlled by another player using quick strike attack that enemy again?

another similar scenario: ranged hero use hands on the bow to attack an enemy in the staging area, then another player's ranged hero use hands on the bow to attack it again.

#10 revolution.hk

revolution.hk

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

CJMatos said:

Nerdmeister said:

GrandSpleen said:

FAQ, point 1.11

"(1.11) Limitations on Attacks

When a player is the active attacker during the combat phase, the game rules grant him the option to declare 1 attack against each enemy with which he is engaged. If, through card effects such as ranged, a player is able to declare attacks against enemies with which he is not engaged, he is still only permitted a single attack against each of these enemies.
Characters are not limited as to how many times they can participate in attacks against the same enemy, provided each attack can be legally declared, and the character is ready and eligible to be declared as an attacker."

Attack legally declared are the following IMO:

- Against engaged enemies - 1 attack per enemy - all characters you control;

- Against another player engaged enemies - 1 attack per enemy - all characters with ranged keyword;

- Against enemies in staging area - 1 attack per enemy - only Dunhere or Hands upon the Bow (with ranged character);

- All previous with Quick Strike;

When joining another player declared attack with a ranged character you are not declaring an attack, you are simply joining it.

I'm not sure if you're saying 'can' or 'cannot'

I think the first paragraph of 1.11 was just to clarify the keyword 'ranged' to avoid the misunderstanding that ranged allows you to declare attack the same enemy twice, and the Gold Rule always allows a card effect to ignore this.

However, this will come to the question: do Quick Strike generate another declare of attack on that enemy, or do it simply allows you to declare to attack earlier? Any clarification on this?

#11 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Nerdmeister said:

Sorry CJMatos but I´m not fully understanding wether or not you are in agreement that quick strike (and hands upon the bow for that matter) can be used to attack an enemy in addition to the normally declared attack during a round of play.

Sorry, been away….

My opinion is that Quick strike is limited to the one attack rule per enemy, that is how i've been playing.

But  this is a matter that needs explanations form FFG.

revolution.hk said:

how about a ranged hero use quick strike to attack an enemy not engaged to him, then another hero controlled by another player using quick strike attack that enemy again?

another similar scenario: ranged hero use hands on the bow to attack an enemy in the staging area, then another player's ranged hero use hands on the bow to attack it again.

This scenario you mention does not have anything with the rule we are discussing.

What we are discussing is if the same player can attack one enemy twice in the same round. What you say is allowed by the rules as it is 2 different players attacking the same enemy.

And as i said earlier, joining an attack is not declaring it…

Carlos José Matos

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS