Photo

How I found out that I didn't win my first game.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FLGMwt

FLGMwt

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

My friend and I ripped open the shrink on our shiny new sets of The Lord of the Star Wars: The Card Game as the attending members of our game group set up the beautifully pastel marshmallow edition of Through the Desert. We punched and bagged on our off turns and fought the urge to read cards instead of strategeryizing over the placement of our Easter camels. After the game was choatically completed (myself failing by an embarrasingly large margin, blame it on the distraction o.o), my friend and I set up for a very traditional matchup between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire. The game went surprisingly smoothly, with minimal rule referencing, owing probably to our respective preparation for this fine eve. I had quite a good starting hand and objective draw, followed by a swift sweep of my enemy's first objective the following two turns. Grand Moff Tarkin helped my destroy the next objective in a single turn after that. In my eagerness to jump on my opponent, I allowed him two easy objectives, sure of my chances for victory in the next three turns at least. Lo, my next draw. I pulled into my hand a card I was sure I had read wrong. Pay four resources to destroy ANY target objective? I showed this to my opponent, making sure I had understood it correctly. I had the 4 to spend. I laid down my hand and proclaimed a confused victory, a bit jarred by the game's sudden end. My opponent didn't seem as befuddled as I was, but he was certainly confused by my confidence. Then I learned that the three objective victory condition was LS exclusive. The store was about to close and he graciously allowed me to concede, pointing out his two-card-heavy victory pile. I miiiiiight change my strategy next time. ;D

#2 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

FLGMwt said:

My friend and I ripped open the shrink on our shiny new sets of The Lord of the Star Wars: The Card Game as the attending members of our game group set up the beautifully pastel marshmallow edition of Through the Desert. We punched and bagged on our off turns and fought the urge to read cards instead of strategeryizing over the placement of our Easter camels. After the game was choatically completed (myself failing by an embarrasingly large margin, blame it on the distraction o.o), my friend and I set up for a very traditional matchup between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire. The game went surprisingly smoothly, with minimal rule referencing, owing probably to our respective preparation for this fine eve. I had quite a good starting hand and objective draw, followed by a swift sweep of my enemy's first objective the following two turns. Grand Moff Tarkin helped my destroy the next objective in a single turn after that. In my eagerness to jump on my opponent, I allowed him two easy objectives, sure of my chances for victory in the next three turns at least. Lo, my next draw. I pulled into my hand a card I was sure I had read wrong. Pay four resources to destroy ANY target objective? I showed this to my opponent, making sure I had understood it correctly. I had the 4 to spend. I laid down my hand and proclaimed a confused victory, a bit jarred by the game's sudden end. My opponent didn't seem as befuddled as I was, but he was certainly confused by my confidence. Then I learned that the three objective victory condition was LS exclusive. The store was about to close and he graciously allowed me to concede, pointing out his two-card-heavy victory pile. I miiiiiight change my strategy next time. ;D

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your game state, but why did you concede? It's sounds like you had the game in the bag.  Page 23 of the rulebook; "Immediately after a LS objective card is placed in the DS victory pile, the DS player advances the Death Star dial one point of each LS objective card in his victory pile."

So when you defeated the third Objective, you would have the dial at at least 7 points, assuming you somehow wrecked his 3 Objectives on the first turn;

So Turn One starts, you get +1 to the Death Star, then +1, +2, +3 for each Objective you destroyed, totalling +7.

Factor in that you mentioned at least three more turns having been played by you, and you should have had at least 10 on the dial after you added in the points from using the Superlaser to nuke the third Objective.  He may have had two Objectives, but you just needed to lame it out for another couple of turns and win by default.

I'm assuming, also, that you never had The Force on your side, otherwise the game would have been shorter.  In that case, you could have attempted some sort of Force balance coup, and won on your following turn.

Go down swinging, my friend, you always have options.  You didn't mention if your opponent had a lot of heavy stuff on the table to wreck your last Objective on his turn, in which case, yeah, you can see that there's nothing you can do, and be a good sport and let it go.

#3 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Your overconfidence is your weakness.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#4 FLGMwt

FLGMwt

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Haha, yeah, another rule we overlooked was the advance for objective. It was quite likely that I had already won at that point. Learning experiences!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS