• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

So Mongoose put out some interesting notes about the future of production of RPGs.  I wonder how their reality relates to that of ffg's production of wfrp3…

jh

#2 heptat

heptat

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Emirikol said:

So Mongoose put out some interesting notes about the future of production of RPGs.  I wonder how their reality relates to that of ffg's production of wfrp3…

jh

Do you mean the state of the mongoose post? Yeah, it doesn't sound too promising when leading RPG companies are selling a few hundred copies of their games.

And PDFs are doing well…that's no surprise either, but of course then piracy becomes an issue. I'm sure when FFG started on WFRP3 at least some of their thinking must have been "if we have dice and cards, it'll make it less worth pirating the game". I can't blame them for that.

I'd be suprised if we get many more WFRP3 products, perhaps just those PoD spell packs.

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

I like their idea of hiring hard-core fan-authors of settings to do the writng much more than the concept of an associate editor who only has passing familiarity with a system.

FFG has a problem:  they focus so hard on putting out an expensive product, that they cannot put out something that is less expensive without breaking the consistency principle.

I can totally see why they went the route of the POD's, but I'm not the least bit happy about it.  I'd rather see paperclipped, photocopied manuscripts for 10 more scenarios and a 52 page unedited, hand-written book on WFRP3 ELVES, than more glossy crap that is so over-specialized so as to be useless to me and my group.

Unfortunately, FFG feels they must put out a certain type of product "look" while sacrificing the fact that there are much cheaper ways…and hence why PDFs may be the way of the future for most compnaies..but FFG is/was hung up on selling expensive 'components' to the five of us that play WFRP3 to make up for whatever the rejected alternative is/was.  'Tis just how it twas at the time of inception.

jh

#4 heptat

heptat

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Emirikol said:

Unfortunately, FFG feels they must put out a certain type of product "look" while sacrificing the fact that there are much cheaper ways…and hence why PDFs may be the way of the future for most compnaies..but FFG is/was hung up on selling expensive 'components' to the five of us that play WFRP3 to make up for whatever the rejected alternative is/was.  'Tis just how it twas at the time of inception.

jh

There are as many as FIVE of us playing?? o_O

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

I knew I was being optimistic!  ;)

jh

#6 No:12

No:12

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hi,

Have to agree with Emirikol here. The PODs are all good if they find use in folks games and help fund further investment in the line, but well written scenarios are something that excites our group much more. I like the quality of product delivered so far for WFRP3, and although some of the fiddly extras in the products are not getting used (for me cardboard standups pretty much stay in the sprue) I do understand that each group has different preferences on the use of these extras and removing x or y completely is probably not fair or likely.

Im not sure what ffgs plan is but I might suggest now that scenarios stick to a high quality story with interesting scenes and npcs, with maybe a small deck of cards to support the adventure and lots of maps! And the support products detailing aspects of the settings be more focussed on cardboard doodahs.

I guess as fans we can only vote with our cash. I will be certainly buying the Enemy Within when it gets to London, and theres fifty quid waiting for an elf box should it ever come to pass. Ive been running a two year campaign for a group with a preist of Sigmar, the existing cards and those in OoW have given the player more than he needs to pull from the toybox, easily the most destructive character in the campaign. Simply no need for a POD in my opinion.

I do hope TEW is successful, as thats probably gonna be the biggest influence on ffg to produce similar products…

#7 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

While the FFG stuff is super high quality and I like that, I would pay for content over flash anyday.   I would gladly pay as much or more for another campaign like 1000 thrones i.e 255 pages, color cover, black and white throughout, 9 adventures with tons of content and no flash,  over new expansions with more cards, cut outs, and dodads.  

Hope the new TEW sells like crazy to encourage this kind of product in the future.  

Gary

#8 heptat

heptat

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

gmanjkd said:

While the FFG stuff is super high quality and I like that, I would pay for content over flash anyday.   I would gladly pay as much or more for another campaign like 1000 thrones i.e 255 pages, color cover, black and white throughout, 9 adventures with tons of content and no flash,  over new expansions with more cards, cut outs, and dodads.  

Hope the new TEW sells like crazy to encourage this kind of product in the future.  

Gary

I'm going to buy it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS