Locations Cards…Do you still use them?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi all.  Im still new to WFRP 3rd and while i think the Location Cards conceptually are great, Im not sure that I will continue to use them in my games.  Seams to be just one more thing to keep track of and take up space on my table.  With that said, what are your experiences over the last 3 years.  Do you still use them?  Do you find them invaluable?  Am i missing their greater value that makes them essential to a great WFRP 3rd game?  Will the game be truly missing anything by my removing them?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  All

Gary

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Generally I don't use them for statistics, but I may throw one on the table periodically for the picture.  Theyr'e way too small for a table of 5 players.

jh

#3 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

Location cards are good for giving ideas about mechanics you can add to a location to make it more interesting, but I would agree they are by no means necessary. 

#4 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

cparadis said:

Location cards are good for giving ideas about mechanics you can add to a location to make it more interesting, but I would agree they are by no means necessary. 

I second that.

———
The time of change has come!

#5 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

It will probably not be missing much if you do not use them.

I mainly use them to set up cities/towns, which allow the players to place their standups where they are. It gives a nice overview of who is where and helps me as a GM when the party splits up, which often happen in towns/cities. Most of the important town locations can be found in the deck, so it's easy to prepare and throw out on the table.

Sometimes I use them at important locations, for example when an epic fight is taking place between the PCs and their nemisis.

#6 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

I use them regularly but often replace the standard ones with my own much larger version that may have more information as in

Creepy Forest

Fear 1 when entering

Urban trait misfortune die to checks

Rural trait fortune die to checks

You were born in a Creepy Forest. - Asrai gain two fortune die to checks.

The forest does not want you here:  GM has a 4 misfortune die budget for each Player in each encounter to reflect the forest's enmity.

I find the standard ones a great concept, rules fine, but (a) too small for people to see rule clearly on table; and (b) either the art is face up and visible or the rule is - awkward.

The only time I really use them as is alone is when I use them as a quasi map, art side up, of a town- - here's Market Square, here's the Monument, Temple of Sigmar, here's the Tavern, there are lots of Back Alleys and Sewer Entrances, etc.  Put your stand up where you are etc.

Rob

#7 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

I like the ideas of using them as make shift maps.  Interesting.

Gary

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS