#1 District of Discordia

District of Discordia

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Accounts Payable?

Associated Press?

Advanced Placement?

The meaning of "AP" (a subtype on, e.g., Neural Katana, Wall of Thorns, Data Mine, Janus 1.0, Heimdall 1.0, Viktor 1.0) is unclear to me. The best guess I can venture is artificial person, but that doesn't seem consistent with the title, image, and flavor text of some cards (like Wall of Thorns and Data Mine) and I'm not sure what distinguishes it from AI, another common card subtype.

Can someone clue me in? It doesn't seem to have any game effect yet that I've noticed. I ask only out of curiosity's sake, and an interest in the game's setting.

Love this game, by the way. My bf gave it to me a few days ago as an early Christmas gift and we've been playing the hell out of it.

#2 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I take it to mean Armor Piercing, the same popularly used term applied to real world ammunition. All these cards (plus cards  from the original Netrunner) contain subroutines that directly deal damage to the Runner.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Anti Personnel, thus why they all do damage to the runner.

#4 dancingcrab

dancingcrab

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Toqtamish said:

This!

#5 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Toqtamish said:

Ooh. Where was this revealed? (Not challenging it, but would like to know the source.) :-)

#6 dancingcrab

dancingcrab

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Honestly, I don't think it's been technically revealed, but seems to make sense given that all ICE that has the subtype 'AP' causes some form of damage to the runner.

I was just throwing my support behind Toq's theory.

EDIT: Which, of course, is very similar to your own theory, 'armour piercing' :-)

#7 District of Discordia

District of Discordia

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

I think I have a slight preference for antipersonnel, but these are both great, valid interpretations. Thanks for your help!

#8 FLGMwt

FLGMwt

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

House Ruled: AP stands for "Analysis Paralysis". As the Corp, when your Runner opponent has taken over 90 seconds without spending a click or performing an action, you may claim Analysis Paralysis and immediately rez one ice with the AP trait, free of cost.

#9 photogasm

photogasm

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Anti Personnel comes from Cyberpunk, the tabletop RPG that Netrunner is based on. 

Anti Personnel, in Cyberpunk, is a class of software that targets the netuser, or 'Runner.  There exists also Anti ICE software and Anti System software, which attack ICE and CPUs respectively.

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

it also comes from military equipment like anti personnel mines.

#11 photogasm

photogasm

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

I meant in terms of how it relates to Net Runner.

#12 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

photogasm said:

I meant in terms of how it relates to Net Runner.

I know. I was explaining my reference for it. I am a military history buff.

#13 photogasm

photogasm

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

So am I but I guess I fail to understand how it relates to the present topic.

#14 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

Messenger asked for my source so I was answering it is from military terminology. That is how I knew what it meant. 

#15 dancingcrab

dancingcrab

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

photogasm said:

Anti Personnel comes from Cyberpunk, the tabletop RPG that Netrunner is based on. 

Anti Personnel, in Cyberpunk, is a class of software that targets the netuser, or 'Runner.  There exists also Anti ICE software and Anti System software, which attack ICE and CPUs respectively.

I'd forgotten that ('96) Netrunner was based on the Cyberpunk 2020 universe. Very good point.

The term 'anti personnel' clearly comes from the military. It is suggestive of how a piece of ICE can harm a human (i.e. the runner), much like how a landmine would harm a human (i.e. soldier or civillain), so I think we are all in agreement.

#16 photogasm

photogasm

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

To clarify, I was not suggesting that the origin of the word anti personnel came from Cyberpunk; I was citing it's use/meaning in the Netrunner setting.

#17 Eldil

Eldil

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

I always through it stood for: "Awwwwww…. POW!"

As in, the thing you shout when a runner gets hit by your Neural Katana.

Then you do a little dance.

#18 FLGMwt

FLGMwt

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

Eldil said:

I always through it stood for: "Awwwwww…. POW!"

As in, the thing you shout when a runner gets hit by your Neural Katana.

Then you do a little dance.

^Approve.

#19 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Toqtamish said:

The Cyberpunk 2020 explanation sufficed. Not that I don't appreciate you going into its military source, but that's going a bit far. It's kinda like looking the etymology of the word "firewall" for example: though the computer term borrows directly from the engineering term, they're such different things.

#20 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Messenger said:

Toqtamish said:

The Cyberpunk 2020 explanation sufficed. Not that I don't appreciate you going into its military source, but that's going a bit far. It's kinda like looking the etymology of the word "firewall" for example: though the computer term borrows directly from the engineering term, they're such different things.

Um okay. I was just answering you when you asked me where I heard anti personnel was the answer and why that was the answer I gave to the OP who asked what AP means. I don't know anything about some Cyberpunk 2020 so that was not the reason that I gave the answer. You asked why I said that, I answered. That was all.

Everyone seems very on edge lately, not sure if it is the holidays or the troll thread or both. Might be time for a forum vacation.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS