Disengagement question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jim_t_ca

jim_t_ca

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

This issue came up during my Kessel Run final. My opponents Falcon was close to the edge of the table and executed a sharp turn. While he FINISHED completely on the table the manouver PATH caused part of his base to go over the edge. Since the manouver template didn't cross the edge the organizer ruled he did NOT disengage. I was under the impression that if any part of the base goes off the table the model is considered gone.  While I'm fine with his ruling ( I STILL got a sweet Slave I figure ;-) for second place) it would be nice to get an official ruling on this. Does disengagement only happen at the end of the manouver or at any poing during?  Thanks

#2 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

jim_t_ca said:

This issue came up during my Kessel Run final. My opponents Falcon was close to the edge of the table and executed a sharp turn. While he FINISHED completely on the table the manouver PATH caused part of his base to go over the edge. Since the manouver template didn't cross the edge the organizer ruled he did NOT disengage. I was under the impression that if any part of the base goes off the table the model is considered gone.  While I'm fine with his ruling ( I STILL got a sweet Slave I figure ;-) for second place) it would be nice to get an official ruling on this. Does disengagement only happen at the end of the manouver or at any poing during?  Thanks

I know it's a common thought, but you have to remember that you don't path the ships along the templates as you move.  The rules for fleeing in the rule book and FAQ only reference the final position, so it doesn't even matter if the template crosses off the board.  If the whole ships base is in the play area at the end of it's move it is good to go.

In addition since it also goes along with the same concept, in regards to obstacles a ship only takes the negative effects if the template or the ships final position overlap an asteroid.  The ships base, as it moves along the template is not considered.

#3 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

ScottieATF is right on all counts. This came up in one of my games as well, where the template went off the board but the ship base ended on. My opponent (and several bystanders) insisted the ship was destroyed, but I asked for a ruling and the TO confirmed that I was right.

I find it a little bit contradictory that, where obstacles are concerned the template does count, but in the above situation it does not.

#4 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

But the OPs question had to do with the movement of the ship's base.  If it makes the rules clearer, think of the ship as teleporting from the start of the movement template to the end of it.  The ONLY time its "path along the template" is relevant is if there would be an overlap with another ship.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS