Rolling defense dice optional?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sprenger

Sprenger

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I was playing a game the other day againt my friend and a interesting question was raised when he was using Luke's crew ability for the falcon. Basically when the falcon performs an attack and does not hit, you can trigger Luke's ability to roll another primary attack.

The issue was he would attack one of my Tie-Fighters and only rolled hit and two focus eyes. He would pass on using his focus then I would have to defend it. My tie is rolling 3 defense dice and the odds of evading the single hit is pretty good. However if I evade the attack then he gets to roll again which forces me to roll defense dice again possibily resulting in more hits this time. As the defender do I have the option of not rolling defense dice so I can only take the 1 point of damage?

Light Side: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 Hwks, 1 Falcon & 1 B-Wing

Dark Side: 6 Fighters, 2 Advanced, 2 Interceptors, 2 Fire Sprays, 2 Bombers, 1 Shuttle

#2 TCBC Freak

TCBC Freak

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Sprenger said:

I was playing a game the other day againt my friend and a interesting question was raised when he was using Luke's crew ability for the falcon. Basically when the falcon performs an attack and does not hit, you can trigger Luke's ability to roll another primary attack.

The issue was he would attack one of my Tie-Fighters and only rolled hit and two focus eyes. He would pass on using his focus then I would have to defend it. My tie is rolling 3 defense dice and the odds of evading the single hit is pretty good. However if I evade the attack then he gets to roll again which forces me to roll defense dice again possibily resulting in more hits this time. As the defender do I have the option of not rolling defense dice so I can only take the 1 point of damage?

I could be wrong cause I don't have any of the wave two stuff to look at, so if someone else knows for sure pitch in, but I think they wouldn't get to re-roll in that situation. Hiting and having you evade isn't the same as missing. They'd need to roll all their dice as blanks and focus (without having focus to change to hits) for it to be a miss. If they hit, it is a hit, even if you evade.

I wish I lived around people who actullay played games instead of just calling themselves gamers....

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

After looking up the exact wording of the attack process: no, you cannot decline to roll any dice.  Nowhere in the "Roll Defense Dice" step is the word "may" used or anything else that would give you an option.  Interesting situation you found, but you'd have to roll.  Sorry.

Also, Hit is specifically defined as having a [hit] or [critical hit] result that is not canceled by evade tokens/dice, so the above poster is incorrect.

Edit: that came out harsh, no insult meant TCBC Freak, I'm just working on a small screen and so wording thing shortly.

#4 Sprenger

Sprenger

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

In our game he was able to drop 3 of my fighters with Luke's ability. It was stupid good. Sure Luke is a 7 point upgrade but still kinda OP IMHO

Light Side: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 Hwks, 1 Falcon & 1 B-Wing

Dark Side: 6 Fighters, 2 Advanced, 2 Interceptors, 2 Fire Sprays, 2 Bombers, 1 Shuttle

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Check pg 12, under "Compare Results."  In short, if the attack didn't do any damage, then it did not hit.  Otherwise, the ion cannon would be totally wicked as it does 1 damage on a "hit."

#6 TCBC Freak

TCBC Freak

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

dbmeboy said:

After looking up the exact wording of the attack process: no, you cannot decline to roll any dice.  Nowhere in the "Roll Defense Dice" step is the word "may" used or anything else that would give you an option.  Interesting situation you found, but you'd have to roll.  Sorry.

Also, Hit is specifically defined as having a [hit] or [critical hit] result that is not canceled by evade tokens/dice, so the above poster is incorrect.

Edit: that came out harsh, no insult meant TCBC Freak, I'm just working on a small screen and so wording thing shortly.

dbmeboy said:

I didn't read it harsh, it's okay. If I had a dollar for all the times I'd sounded harsh or rude just because of how it "read" on the net I'd be rich, lol. I'm still just getting into the game and haven't gotten my own copies of the rules or anything, and only played little, so this is good to have clearly laid out, thanks.

I wish I lived around people who actullay played games instead of just calling themselves gamers....

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

No problem.  If you want to peruse a copy of the rules and FAQ, they can be found on the support page here.

#8 TCBC Freak

TCBC Freak

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Thanks, I didn't even think to check the support page to see what was there.

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

TCBC Freak said:

Thanks, I didn't even think to check the support page to see what was there.

The answer is: all sorts of goodies :-)  Glad I could help.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS