Photo

Spell range and "speciality" block/parry.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Ok so just played our groups first session yesterday and it went fairly smooth considering none of us had played before and only 2/7 of us (the gm and myself being those 2) knew the basic rules. We had a few questions come up mid session though that didn't make sense and so I'm hoping those here can answer them.

The first was when our Dwarf player saw that he could take the speciality "parry". Now this was a bit confusing, because to our understanding specialities added a fortune dice to your roll, but you don't roll the block action, rather it just adds a misfortune die to the enemies dice pool (or a challenge for improved block) and you certainly wouldn't want to add a fortune die to the enemies dice pool… so what exactly is the speciality supposed to do?
We house ruled it as a temp fix (until we got the real answer) to just make it add a misfortune, but we'd love to see if that's right or not because we could find nothing in the rule book specifieng how it should work different than other specialities.

The second was our wizard player who was playing a "celestial" wizard and went to use the "shooting star" power. He asked what range he could use it at and, admittidly, we couldn't answer because normally range is dictated by your weapon, but we didn't think his "staff" (or any other weapon he held) would really modify the range and the card had no range on it so the second question is "what is spell range".

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

Dark Bunny Lord said:

Ok so just played our groups first session yesterday and it went fairly smooth considering none of us had played before and only 2/7 of us (the gm and myself being those 2) knew the basic rules. We had a few questions come up mid session though that didn't make sense and so I'm hoping those here can answer them.

The first was when our Dwarf player saw that he could take the speciality "parry". Now this was a bit confusing, because to our understanding specialities added a fortune dice to your roll, but you don't roll the block action, rather it just adds a misfortune die to the enemies dice pool (or a challenge for improved block) and you certainly wouldn't want to add a fortune die to the enemies dice pool… so what exactly is the speciality supposed to do?
We house ruled it as a temp fix (until we got the real answer) to just make it add a misfortune, but we'd love to see if that's right or not because we could find nothing in the rule book specifieng how it should work different than other specialities.

The second was our wizard player who was playing a "celestial" wizard and went to use the "shooting star" power. He asked what range he could use it at and, admittidly, we couldn't answer because normally range is dictated by your weapon, but we didn't think his "staff" (or any other weapon he held) would really modify the range and the card had no range on it so the second question is "what is spell range".

The FAQ (available on the support page) explains some of this stuff.  The Specialities for Block, Parry and Dodge do not affect the use of those actions.  They may be requirements for certain other cards etc. and otherwise can be used in other situations.  For example, I have allowed Dodge specialization to help a Coordination roll to dodge out of the way of falling rocks.  These sorts of uses are more likely to come up with more creative play that Performs Stunt lots (e.g., can I hold back by the goblins by turning over the table and using it to block the doorway etc.).

Shooting Star is one of those spells that has no range on it. You may want to ask customer support rules questions (link at botttom of webpage) to confirm it's not a "melee attack using spellcasting roll" rather than a "ranged attack using spell roll".

Rob

#3 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

Valvorik is right.

But in my game, I allow the added misfortune to Active defences using a specialization. I find that a misfortune doesn't break the game and just adds a bit more defence capabilities into the mix, which isn't a bad thing IMO. It is a bit fiddly, mechanically, since investing into better dodge or parry should normally translate into a Improved or Advanced Dodge/Parry action card… But what the heck.

Regarding Shooting star, it is clearly a ranged shot (Shooting star, says it, right?). And I always thought that the fact you can shoot at any range is one of the features of this spell. That's what makes it special.

———
The time of change has come!

#4 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

I asked customer service and response was that if a card has no range requirement (not engaged, close or other) that means there is no range requirement.  I interpet that to mean "range not an issue, can you see the target?"

#5 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

In our game, specialization in block/parry is used for the reaction based attacks such as repost and counterblow. So you would only get a white die on the attack roll since that attack used block/parry.

#6 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Ah ok, I'll make sure to show the gm the responses here just so he can come up with a final decision. Thought I had somehow missed something.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS