Resolving interrupts

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Starsplice

Starsplice

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'm used to the "stack" from Magic. And after reading how interrupts resolve it sounds like there is no stack. One card triggers, and a player can interrupt. That whole mess resolves and there you go. So I need clarification inregards to how multiple interrupt cards would resolve. 

Is it the "first in, last out" resolution? Or is it really like the rules say, "active player can interrupt and then resolve…."

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

#2 cpjolicoeur

cpjolicoeur

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Each is resolved fully starting with the active player.  Its not like MtG where they stack in a LIFO pattern.  Each interrupt resolves fully before the next resolves

#3 Starsplice

Starsplice

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

So there really isn't much player interaction. Just "I do this….. and they interrupt. Their card resolves, then mine, now onto the next thing."

#4 Rozgutt

Rozgutt

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

In that case, what would happen if I wanted to use a card similar to "Counter-stroke" ON a card like "Counter-stroke"? Wouldn't I be able to do so? I'm aware that there aren't any cards like that for the Empire (or are there?) but I assume that they may appear sooner or later.

Counter-stroke

Type: Event
Faction: Light Jedi
Force. Control. Sense.
Interrupt: When an event card is played, cancel its effects.

#5 Rozgutt

Rozgutt

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Correction - there IS a card like that for the Empire:

It's Worse

Type: Event
Faction: Dark Neutral
Interrupt: When another Interrupt effect is executed, cancel its effects. Then, deal 1 damage to a target enemy unit.

#6 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

An Interrupt that triggers off an Interrupt, like "Its Worse", creates a MTG-like stack.  Its just going to be rare that it happens, at least for now.

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Entropy42 said:

An Interrupt that triggers off an Interrupt, like "Its Worse", creates a MTG-like stack.  Its just going to be rare that it happens, at least for now.

Still doesn't really create a MtG-like stack as only responses to the "top" interrupt can be added (as opposed to MtG where any "instant-speed" effect could be added).  It's really closer to how SWCCG handled things: once an ability was "on the stack," only specific responses could be played until it resolved, which would then allow another "top-level action" to be played.

#8 Hurdoc

Hurdoc

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

Please note I had the exact same question a few weeks ago, responses there may be helpful.

http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=754530

As a veteran CCG/LCG player, my interpretation of the rules is the following:

1) Events do NOT create a stack but are played back and forth.

2) Interrupts DO create a stack.

3) Reactions are a form of interrupts that feed off of a trigger and also DO create a stack.

I would like to know for sure, however.

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

I still don't think you should call interrupt chains a "stack." That would imply something like this: -event A - interrupt B on response to A -interrupt C, also in response to A -C resolves, then B, then A Instead, we have: -event A -interrupt B in response to A -unless there is a response to B itself, B resolves -Another response to A may be played/trighered Edit: I put line breaks in, and I can see them while editing now… I don't know why the forum is messing up the formatting so badly. Sorry.

#10 Hurdoc

Hurdoc

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

I think we're saying the same thing.

What I mean is that A could be interrupted by B, B could be interrupted by C (the C acting on B, not A), etc. Then the order would be C ---> B ---> A. I would call this a LIFO "stack".

If you had two interrupts both acting on A, say B and C. Then B and C would be occuring in the same window but the order determined by the active player (I think?).

#11 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

By "MTG-like stack" i just meant LIFO, sorry that was a bit broad.

I agree with Hurdoc though, that Interrupts stack up and resolve in a LIFO order, which is pretty similar to the MTG (or moreso, WHI) stack.

Regarding Hurdoc's statement about Reactions, my impression is that they do not create a stack.  Something happens, 1 or more Reactions trigger after it happens, and the Active player chooses 1 Reaction and resolves it fully, then chooses another and resolves it fully.  Reactions definitely do not pre-empt the thing that they are Reacting to.  It resolves, then they trigger.  Interrupts are the only thing that create a LIFO situation.

#12 Hurdoc

Hurdoc

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yes, you're right. I characterized the Reactions wrong, they would occur after the main event. They would occur before any other Events being played, but would not interrupt the action they trigger from…

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

We may be saying the same thing, but interrupts also trigger and then resolve before the next interrupt can do the same thing. They're not really LIFO, it's just that some interrupts can interrupt other interrupts. That means interrupts are FIFO unless you're interrupting an interrupt.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS