Murder Mystery with a twist - Spell problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

I am starting to write an adventure for a murder mystery. So these ideas are just my thoughts currently

The problem I am having is finding a spell for mind control. In Advanced Heroquest there was a spell for Amethyst Wizards called Spirit Control. Maybe I am missing it but I cant seem to find one in my cards which can do the same thing.  I dont have any 2nd edition books to look up.

SPIRIT CONTROL
Component: Stiffened Velvet Tube

The Wizard holds the tube to his forehead to form a third eye. With it, he may see into a previously unexplored area. Generate the contents normally. If there are any monsters present, the Wizard may choose one and control his actions. (This may not be a special character.) The creature may be made to open doors, move into unexplored areas (revealing them to the Wizard as it moves), attack other monsters (which will retaliate), or perform any other action which isn't alien to its nature (like injuring itself). The spell is broken when the Wizard takes an action, or the monster is wounded.

My idea is this.  

There are the several party watch members played by the players, one would either be a player  or a gm played one, but that would throw too much suspicion too early if gm controlled.

They have joined the city watch to pass the time, or maybe they heard of the murderers and wished to get involved. The murderers have always been found but have no idea why they performed the crime.

One of the players is actually the murderer (The murderer player is either under the wizard control or is the wizard himself.), 

The mind controller is an Amethyst/Dark magic user who uses others to perform murders for him for either coin or some other reason.

The victims are either prominent citizens or just a random citizens. Since the spell doesnt need line of sight the controlled person never sees the caster.

Problems I see currently.

Why doesnt he control one of the other players and kill one of the others?

If I can solve the above problem, then its just a case of

How to trace the crime back to the party member? or do I not and the party member leaves the party and town. The crimes stop and they then put 2 and 2 together.

I have so much to work out still, but any help on some problems I havent forseen or solutions be greatly appreciated.

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

There is lots of precedent for "possession" in WFRP fluff.

You could explain limits on ability and create clues by requiring that the ability to possess doesn't work "cold".  Going back to legends of witches needing a bit of your hair etc. (just read a historical fiction book in which as an aside the hero burns or otherwise safely disposes of his hair one of the few times its cut "just in case a witch would find it"), that and perhaps needing to plant something on the victims or even do something like tattoo them etc.  Some "sympathy" created of caster has something from them and they bear his mark etc.

Warpstone of course being one fun way of marking that can create hazhards exploring.

#3 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

I could make up a spell like you suggest.  But would a wizard use witchcraft?  Dont like to use warpstone, as that warps the holder quite quickly I think.  Unless i use a shaven, undead controller or chaos controller.  Which I am thinking be too obvious.

I think what i need to do is work backwards, get the possible endings first and work them backwards to the beginning, might help me picture the story.

A campaign plot with a mastermind who is actually saving the empire.

Other ideas i been having. The wizard is daemon pocessed, that way has more powerful spells. Slaanesh and Tzeentch would be good candidates.

Its a new spell that this person has invented or an old one, and is killing off his fellow researchers.

I thought maybe it only worked on magically gifted people or chaos followers.

The idea of some form of body parts, hair etc to cause the spell to work, sounds good too.

I have a good idea now of the story.  The weakness is the what ifs.

I think this will work.

Now to find out if the Colleges of Wizards have secret organizations and if they are named.

#4 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Okay I found an old Black Industrials wizard book I had.

So witches are just hedge wizards who have lived longer.

#5 LordoftheMilk

LordoftheMilk

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

Grey Order - Traitor of Tarn

#6 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

LordoftheMilk said:

Grey Order - Traitor of Tarn

Thanks so much for spotting this spell. No idea how I missed it.

Also being Grey magic, shadowy, is perfect.  SInce rank 3.  I will make it so its a mastermind behind the whole affair.

Still think I will go with the renegade spell researchers, but at least I can have a few possible methods of wizard domination going on.

Found the conservitive spell on the preview page on FFG for Winds of Magic.  When I get home, I will seek it out. The main question I have is 2 empire symbols means the target is unaware until they are taken over.  Since I am still learning the rules.  Do i get to pick only one result from the 3 listed.  or is it only one pick from the 1 hammer or 3 hammer if i get those plus the 2 empires if i get that as well.

If I dont get the 2 empire symbols, does the target know its controlled then? and wont they tell people?

#7 LordoftheMilk

LordoftheMilk

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

The empire symbol results can be added to the anvil results.

You can also check the Morr blessings. There is one where you can influence a target in his dreams. It is less brutal than traitor but perhaps more efficient in the end.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS