Card spoilers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BigBadBroloski

BigBadBroloski

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

I am quite sad that FFG does not invest more time into providing us (the players) with more card spoilers from the upcoming sets.

It keeps us hot on the game, and improves the hype on the new data pack. Either way it is good marketing. AND IT COSTS THEM NOTHING. They simply send the picture to some of the many blogs/podcasts (techtalk, bgg users…) who they deem worthy ( I mean there must be some1 you consider capable) of such a task. So the question arrising is as folowing: Why dont you do it?
We would all, as players, be very thankful.

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

We have seen plenty of cards already. And when there is only 20 cards per pack they cannot spoil too much. Also just an FYI if you want an answer from FFG you will have to email them. 

#3 BigBadBroloski

BigBadBroloski

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

"Plenty" as in what 5? out of 40 new ones?

In wow tcg (in the old days when I played it) there was a sneak preview every 3 days starting one month prior to the release of new set. True, there were about 100 new cards, but still. It was like Xmas, running home (there was much less mobile internet in that time) to read the new spoiler. I miss that feeling, and I think that this game would benefit greatly from such a thing.

#4 deedob

deedob

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

The business model is not the same, so you can't ask for the same thing.
We get a couple of cards spoiled for every expansion released… once every month.

With the old CCGs, we got a bunch of spoilers… once every 6 months, for a big new set containing over 100 new cards.

Overall, the number of cards spoiled is *around* the same for both models.

#5 photogasm

photogasm

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

We are not entitled to spoilers from unreleased sets.

The amount of info they give us is just fine and is a privilege, not a right.  

I am grateful for what we do get from FFG and am grateful they've decided to make this game at all.

#6 Talamare

Talamare

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

I support more Spoilers, they should do a ton of Art Spoilers, where they show the picture but dont tell us anything about the card

I want to see people play guessing games for days trying to figure it out

#7 BigBadBroloski

BigBadBroloski

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

photogasm said:

We are not entitled to spoilers from unreleased sets.

The amount of info they give us is just fine and is a privilege, not a right.  

I am grateful for what we do get from FFG and am grateful they've decided to make this game at all.

Ofcourse it is a privilege, but it benefits both parties, us and ffg. Is the data pack any less desirable when you spoil some cards from it? I mean, first thing I do when a new set comes out I go looking for a spoiler and see all the cards there are. About being grateful: sure. But why not aim for excellence? Why shouldn't we try to make it even better?

#8 photogasm

photogasm

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

How are card spoilers going to 'make the game better?'

#9 photogasm

photogasm

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Nevermind, forget I asked.  I'm done with this thread, it's absurd.

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Card spoilers don't change the game at all or help its success. It's already doing fine, 2nd reprint is on the way already. Wow.

One thing to keep in mind that even if they preview 2 cards from a pack that is 10% of that pack. For pack 3 we have seen 6 cards, granted 5 of them are in the fan but still that is 30% of that pack. So they can't preview like other companies do as there is just not as many cards to spoil in a "set". 120 cards in total per cycle.

#11 Mejis

Mejis

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Talamare said:

I support more Spoilers, they should do a ton of Art Spoilers, where they show the picture but dont tell us anything about the card

I want to see people play guessing games for days trying to figure it out

This is the only thing that I would potentially like to see. The art is just ludicrously amazing in this game, so it would indeed make for intersting discussion if they teased us with just some artwork.

With respect to the OP's question/point, I disagree. FFG provide more than enough in the way of spoilers. I love the trickle of information, knowing that at least once a month we're going to find out about the next type of data pack, and when one is released or nearing release they seem to be showing some extra cards/info too.

Too much info would ruin it for me. I love the anticipation and can't wait to discover the cards for myself when I actually get the data packs.

#12 profligate

profligate

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I understand wanting full spoilers in some situations. (eg: all the cards in a M:tG set before the prerelease so you can draft/deckbuild better - and please note that this isn't good for that game either.)  But in this release format/schedule, I think partial spoilers and veiled information are the best marketing technique for FFG to be using. 

#13 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

I wonder if revealing too much too early can have undesirable effects for both players and FFG. It's like how new expansions in Magic: the Gathering are always fully revealed by the morning of its pre-release tournament. We really should note the difference in nature between CCGs/TCGs and LCGs: the latter have much smaller expansions.

Also, to FFG: Can I haz new upcoming Criminal identity? Kthanxbai.

#14 BigBadBroloski

BigBadBroloski

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

photogasm said:

Card games are a much wider experience than the game itself, if I may express myself in such a fashion. One of the things I consider as "game experience" is not only playing and deckbuilding, but also debating about individual cards. When the card is not out yet you can talk about it and think about it. For me, it is very important part of the game. 

#15 Damocles346

Damocles346

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

You can't think, talk, or debate about the 200+ cards that we already have out? It must be hard…

#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

BigBadBroloski said:

photogasm said:

Card games are a much wider experience than the game itself, if I may express myself in such a fashion. One of the things I consider as "game experience" is not only playing and deckbuilding, but also debating about individual cards. When the card is not out yet you can talk about it and think about it. For me, it is very important part of the game. 

You can already do that with what we already have seen. Chaos Theory for one is one we have had plenty of debate about among people I know. And Test Run.

#17 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:35 AM

FFG has a lot of games to promote; it's probably unreasonable to expect a much more frequent publishing schedule. It takes time to plan and write them, so they need to stick to a reasonable publishing schedule that also doesn't clutter up their front page news feed, so people who don't stop by every day have a chance to take in what the company has been up the past week or two instead of being presented with a feed full of spoiler articles from the past 24 hours for games they might not even care about.

#18 ffaristocrat

ffaristocrat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

BigBadBroloski said:

In wow tcg (in the old days when I played it) there was a sneak preview every 3 days starting one month prior to the release of new set. True, there were about 100 new cards, but still. It was like Xmas, running home (there was much less mobile internet in that time) to read the new spoiler. I miss that feeling, and I think that this game would benefit greatly from such a thing.

They spoiled 7 out of 20 cards for What Lies Ahead - Whizzard, Cortez Chip, Stronger Together, Mandatory Upgrades, Ash, Caduceus and Draco.

#19 BigBadBroloski

BigBadBroloski

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

ffaristocrat said:

BigBadBroloski said:

They spoiled 7 out of 20 cards for What Lies Ahead - Whizzard, Cortez Chip, Stronger Together, Mandatory Upgrades, Ash, Caduceus and Draco.

The data pack came out…

there is a full spoiler out there.

#20 BigBadBroloski

BigBadBroloski

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

Saturnine said:

FFG has a lot of games to promote; it's probably unreasonable to expect a much more frequent publishing schedule. It takes time to plan and write them, so they need to stick to a reasonable publishing schedule that also doesn't clutter up their front page news feed, so people who don't stop by every day have a chance to take in what the company has been up the past week or two instead of being presented with a feed full of spoiler articles from the past 24 hours for games they might not even care about.

I am not saying that they should promote, you simply send the picture to one of the many people who are capable and willing to write the article.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS