Photo

What time can we perchase download the core rulebook……

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KevinGlando

KevinGlando

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

I like this game but I am short of money. Therefore I want to buy a cheaper pdf file and read it on PC. My question is that I do not know when I can purchase download.Can anyone tell me?Thanks a lot!

#2 andrewm9

andrewm9

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Not for several weeks. Not until the new year at the earliest in any case.

#3 narked

narked

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Well I'm hoping that's not the case, would be nice to be able to get the pdf in a timely manner around the hardback release after paying for the beta

#4 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

I don't know how much the pdf's tend to be at release, but the actual book has already dropped to $41 on Amazon which is a decent price.

I got both the Beta and the release book, but not for any discount but because I'm incredibly impatient and have to see things as soon as possible.

#5 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

narked said:

Well I'm hoping that's not the case, would be nice to be able to get the pdf in a timely manner around the hardback release after paying for the beta

Previous scheduling has had the PDFs released about a month or two after the physical copy releases. There haven't been any statements made by FFG to suggest Only War will be any different at the moment.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#6 narked

narked

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Yeah I'm aware of that, I'm just saying it'd have been a nice "thanks" to those who paid to access the beta test to get the pdf released at the same time. Especially considering the news update about getting the discount on the full release said "when it's released in the Fall" (which has obviously been and gone, as many of the release dates do…)

#7 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Maybe I'm just an idiot but I always thought the thanks of buying the beta was being able to play with the rules beforehand. I mean a discount would be nice, especially if that is indeed what they said in a news announcement (I wasn't paying attention so I didn't know), but in the end I just thought it was neat to participate in the playtest and run some early games.

#8 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

narked said:

Yeah I'm aware of that, I'm just saying it'd have been a nice "thanks" to those who paid to access the beta test to get the pdf released at the same time. Especially considering the news update about getting the discount on the full release said "when it's released in the Fall" (which has obviously been and gone, as many of the release dates do…)

I believe it's down to GW Licensing - they get a fair say in when stuff can be released, including the PDFs (since GW is still iffy on the whole 'digital' thing - it makes it easier for people to not pay for their stuff, in their eyes).

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#9 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

But PDF's are money in the bank today, where with DTF months out from release you have to pay to print up frount before you make a sale, then pay again on your shiping date to ship, that cuts in to your per-unit return. if things go pare shaped and you have retailers returning product they can't sell you end up lossing money.

if you go for a Bundle (PDF & DTF) and let the coustomer DL the PDF as a Pre-Release that's word of mouth marketing right there and more Pre-Orders and you can make back costs before your Release Date. heck if GW is worried about hurting their GW Store sales set up a RED (Retailer Eletronic Delivery) system, you buy the bundle in store and they can send you the DL Link and/or load it on to a USB then and there, then either mail you the DTF or you can come back and pick up your book in store when it comes in. works not just for Pre-Orders but also for Out of Stock books as well, that way the stores can set lower stock quotas on slow moving books and they don't risk losing that many sales to OoS.

#10 narked

narked

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

MILLANDSON said:

narked said:

I believe it's down to GW Licensing - they get a fair say in when stuff can be released, including the PDFs (since GW is still iffy on the whole 'digital' thing - it makes it easier for people to not pay for their stuff, in their eyes).

Personally I can't see this being the case at all. GW themselves now release the digital copies of new releases earlier than the physical copies (or they do at least in the UK, where they tend to go online with Apple around midnight Friday, with the physical editions being in stores on the Saturday morning).

And sure, it was nice to get to play around with the rules early. But FFG got something out of that, they got access to a wider playtest audience to iron out more issues (hopefully). And more to the point, they got a nice bit of early income from that to help fund the production of the final product or other products further down the line. For me personally at the moment, I don't have the spare cash to run out and buy the book (much as I'd like to), and I'm all too aware of the fact that when that PDF hits the internet, I've already got $20 of it's price covered. $20 that potentially has been used to pay for the books being printed to be sold to other people, whilst I have to wait for the PDF to go live.

However, I'm aware of the fact that the PDFs have always previously been later than the physical release and didn't expect any different here, I'm just saying it would have been a nice and decent gesture on FFGs part to have done it differently this time. Or hell, even just sent out an email or posted on here letting us at least know a time frame for the PDF release, which is hardly asking a lot considering the only mention of it has said it would have been Fall 2012.

#11 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

narked said:

Personally I can't see this being the case at all. GW themselves now release the digital copies of new releases earlier than the physical copies (or they do at least in the UK, where they tend to go online with Apple around midnight Friday, with the physical editions being in stores on the Saturday morning).

Having it on Apple, however, is more restrictive than pure PDFs, and so harder to pirate than just putting it straight into a torrent. I dunno if GW are the ones that delay it, but I know that everything has to be put passed them before they'll allow it to be released, including the book and PDF as separate products (since the PDF will have to have hyperlinks put into it, the bookmarks, etc).

#12 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

From Matt, the guy who runs DriveThruRPG:

"Just a quick FYI for those of who purchased the Beta PDF from DriveThruRPG.

Make sure your account is set to receive e-mails from FFG on our site:

https://www.drivethrustuff.com/account_contact_options.php?site=dtrpg

Regards,

Matt"

#13 Dramacydle

Dramacydle

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

It would be nice to get this before Christmas? I also bought into the Beta as well. One would think because Tome of Blood is available that Only War Core would have been released before Tome of Blood digital copy but I'm cool with waiting as well. Money for me is also hard to come by and I can see my wifes face when she sees that I bought another book.

#14 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

From rpg.net - http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?667301-40kRPG-Only-War-So-who-s-excited&p=16300039#post16300039

For those of who purchased the Beta PDF from DriveThruRPG.

Make sure your account is set to receive e-mails from FFG on our site: https://www.drivethr....php?site=dtrpg

When the full PDF goes live, do not rush to buy it, wait for the e-mail with the discount link (i.e. make sure you get the e-mail with the above link and double-check your spam filter).

The plan is for the PDF to active for sale tomorrow and for the e-mails to Beta purchasers to go out over the course of the day in batches. So, you will get the e-mail, just have a little patience, please.

If folks not reading this thread are asking questions, please let them know the details.

Thanks,

Matt

So it should be out on Wednesday 9th, and everyone should get the discount code over the day.

#15 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

Now available for purchase!

#16 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

reir

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS