Infinities: Want?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm talking specifically about the Infinities comic series-es. For those unfamiliar with Infinities, there are three of them, each four issues long, and each one presenting a "What If?" scenario occurring in one of the Original Trilogy films. In the first one, a malfunction in Luke's proton torpedo launcher causes his shot to cripple, but not completely destroy the Death Star. In the second one, Han's tauntaun freezes before reaching the first marker, and Han is unable to save Luke. And so forth. These events drastically reshape the story from what fans know, while delving into otherwise unexplored potential of familiar characters. I think a Force Pack cycle that is themed around these alternate continuities would be cool to see at some point, especially since the tone of Star Wars: The Card Game so far seems to be about capturing those iconic moments found in the Original Trilogy in no particular order, moments which are by no means less memorable in the Infinities stories. In essence, you are creating your own Star Wars timeline with each match. Adding Dark Side Leia, et al to the mix would not hurt this IMO.

My question is, how would other people feel about an Infinities cycle? Do want? Do not want? Discuss.

#2 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

I'm going with do NOT want, only because it would mean there would be a card of White Vader, and that was easily the worst part of that whole series.

Also, the problem with Dark Side Leia would come from addressing the uniqueness problem.  If there was some interesting interaction, I would be all for it, sort of like how the Cloud City Lando cards from SW:CCG let you have Lando's allegience switch back and forth in a match.

If it was just "I play Dark Luke" or whatever, and you're stuck with your Luke as fodder for the Edge battle, you're still getting use out of your Luke, but you'll probably feel like it was going to waste.

Also, thematically, killing off Dark Leia, then playing Light Leia, then killing Light Leia and having Dark Leia come back out is kind of all over the place.

It made sense with Cloud City Lando, because he was ultimately trying to save himself and his business, which is what motivated his decision to help Vader, but when he realized he was going to lose it anyways, he flipped teams.

I would think converting Leia, or Luke, or another big Force personality to the Dark Side (or vice versa) would require some more mechanics to make it a noteworthy game event, rather than just a "Dark Leia" card.

tl;dr

No to Infinities, because nobody should have to see White Vader again.

#3 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

Part of me wants to say yes simply because ALL of the EU is basically infinities now. Disney basically said so themselves by saying that the new movies will not follow the EU. Which will be kind of weird/awkward since we're getting at least some EU stuff in this game.

But I have to vote no, because while the EU is now a lesser canon, Infinities is at an even lesser canon then. Also, I'd be pretty mad if we got stuff like Infinities characters before Prequel stuff or Clone Wars stuff. Things that are actually from George.

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

I'm enough of a fan to know what Infinities is, but since I haven't read any of the stories, they don't capture me too much. If they release Infinities cards, great, if not, that's fine too. I think, however, that Infinities is a little more obscure than some of the other EU so many people would be completely confused by those cards (but I could be wrong about that).

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

I think I'll have to say no, too. I really liked the ANH infinities, I thought having Leia turn into an Imperial was just inspired. Those for ESB and, particularly, RotJ, didn't really have the same feel really, so wouldn't be too concerned with getting stuff from that. But while it would nice to see Imperial Leia, the mechanics of it all would probably be just too complex to implement. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#6 Theplat

Theplat

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Seems like there would be enough material to pull from the movies and then even more from the EU material so that they would be able to go a good long time before throwing in a set that would jumble up all the allegiances that people are familiar with. Would be interesting but I think it would get too much of a collective WTF from people not familiar with what Infinity is.

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

I'm going to go with no and forsee this game likely sticking to the movies with maybe some of the EU from the time frame the game is set in. Once the new movies start who knows what might change there if anything for the game.

#8 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Mattr0polis said:

Part of me wants to say yes simply because ALL of the EU is basically infinities now. Disney basically said so themselves by saying that the new movies will not follow the EU.

I've searched and searched, but turned up nothing that confirms this. Could you please provide a link? All I'm aware of is that they've said Episode VII will not use existing material, which could reasonably be accomplished without contradicting said existing material. Just because they want to tell a new story, with new characters, etc. is no reason to assume they don't care about the EU, or more practically, the numerous fans thereof, who would likely be turned off by a film that forced them to forget everything they've come to accept over the last 35 years.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS