Elite Imperials?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just wanted to bring it up again. Has anyone tried to out-skill their opponents as Imperials? I was thinking something like:

Backstabber: Marksmanship 
Mauler
Stele: Concussion Missiles
Vader: Concussion Missiles

Holy skill Batman! Lowest is Backstabber, but it's still very respectable. I intend to use superior skill to barrel roll out of danger when things don't look good, or barrel roll in when I can get a favourable angle. Shooting first in most cases will help my ships survive.

The obvious counter would be a horde of TIEs, which I might not be able to avoid well. Any thoughts on this? Also, I'm not using Phennir or Fel since I'm planning for another Kessel Run. Otherwise, I'd probably drop Stele (and missiles) for Fel, and Mauler and Marksmanship for Phennir. Or something like that.

"Some goals are so worthy it is glorious even to fail."

#2 AlKusanagi

AlKusanagi

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

At the KR tourneys I went to, most of the Rebel players are going with 4 ship squads specifically to deal with the Imp numerical advantage. Even with their skills, it looks like you'd be at a severe disadvantage in a 4 vs 4 situation verses Rebs.

#3 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

To better exploit your intent, I'd recommend swapping Howlrunner for Backstabber.  You just don't have any synergy in your list, and in my opinion, that will be more important in a 'short list'  It also raises your average Pilot Skill.

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#4 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Done. With the extra point, gave Vader Determination.

#5 shmitty

shmitty

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

I've had pretty good success with:

Vader - Squad Leader

Maarek - Marksmanship and Cluster Missles

Howlrunner

Mauler

It's kinda fragile, but it has been fun to play with.  

#6 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

doesnt stop me from setting up a screen

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#7 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

I'd go with:

Vader

Soontir Fel

Howlrunner

Turr Phennir w/ Vet Instincts

Three skill 9 pilots, two in TIE Interceptors, and Howlrunner at skill 8.

#8 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

I haven't seen Vet Instincts yet, so it must be from Slave I or Millenium Falcon. Is it +2 skill?

#9 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Yes, it is a 1-pt Elite talent that comes with both the Falcon and Slave-1 (I think), that gives the pilot +2 skill.

#10 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

Darn. There are so many good cards with both ships but I haven't managed to win either yet. I haven't read assault missiles yet, but would that help an elite squadron cut back on an opposing horde?

#11 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Assault missiles will greatly help against swarms.  Target someone like Howlrunner, and get a damage on each ship within range 1 of her.  Just be careful cuz it is all ships, friend or foe.  

:>¡<: X-wing x6, Y-wing x3, TIE Fighter x6, TIE Advanced x3, A-wing x4, YT-1300 x2, TIE Interceptor x9,
Firespray-31 x3, B-wing x4, HWK-290 x2, TIE Bomber x6, Lambda Shuttle x2, E-wing x3, Z-95 x4, TIE Defender x3, TIE Phantom x2, GR-75 x2, CR-90 x1

Perish quickly you will, if without Push, an A-wing you fly.

#12 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

I think the swarms have already been busted.  Imperial lists simply didn't show at the tournaments this past weekend, and the problem with the Swarm in a timed game is the fact it almost gaurantees nothing more than a modified match win in a mirror match.  I also don't think most people want to invest the $90-$120 to pull off a swarm list.  Additionally, Rebel combos are just much more fun to come up with, and now with the Interceptors' abilities and the Firespray and the emerging Rebel abilities to break swarms if they do appear?  I'd be planning for smaller Imperial builds.

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS