Staw Wars license?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Any idea how long of a term FFG has for their Star Wars licence?  The recent acquisition of Lucas Films by Disney concerns me that Disney will not renew any licences.

Enimo Et Fide

#2 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

That'd be a silly thing to do -- Fantasy Flight makes the card game and the miniatures game, and while Decipher and Wizards have lost it in the past, neither of those companies are quite as "premium" as FF.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'm also going to say that I know pretty much nothing about the inner workings of either Disney or Fantasy Flight. Disney's had a fair bit of success with their liassez-faire approach to franchises, so let's hope they just let it continue on. And make good movies.

#3 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

No internal knowledge here either, but I fully expect Disney to take the same approach they have with Marvel. They operate independently as far as licensing, etc. I expect the same with Lucasfilm. It has worked well so far.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 4 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 Phantoms

#4 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

The only company holding a license with LucasArts that released a statement that seemed unsure of their future was Dark Horse, because they're the only one that has any real conflict within the new structure(Because of Marvel).  In the last year, LucasArts and it's subsidiaries underwent a massive licensing reorganization, and as experts can attest, it was probably to streamline the company for the sale.  Howard Roffman, Lucas' licensing executive, who is responsible for the existence of the EU, has come out of retirement to his position as Licensing director.  Considering that this license, and most of the other merchandise licenses have been consolidated or created within the last year, I'd say Disney was aware of them and perhaps even advised on them.  There is rumor that Disney is looking to buy Hasbro, though, and I would be concerned about the gaming license at that point(I'd really hate for it to end up back in WotC's hands)….until then, I'd say the contract will be honored.

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#5 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I would not worry, since the license was enacted before the sale to Disney.  And if Disney chooses to screw us over in any fashion over any aspect of fandom, they'll have to deal with the collective fandom.  Hell hath no fury like a geek scorned.

#6 DeadInkPen

DeadInkPen

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

SteveSpikes said:

I would not worry, since the license was enacted before the sale to Disney.  And if Disney chooses to screw us over in any fashion over any aspect of fandom, they'll have to deal with the collective fandom.  Hell hath no fury like a geek scorned.

^^ This is so true. I think Disney will let the exsisting liscenes stand. The Dark Horse one is the one I am questioning about, but I don't think Disney will pull it as that line is quite successfull. 

#7 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Dark Horse is a competitor to Marvel (Marvel being owned by Disney).  Most people would understand that it's a solid possibility that DH could lose their grasp on the SW comics once their current contract is up.

Cartoon Network carries the clone war cartoon.  CN is a competitor to the various Disney channels, so there's a good chance that the cartoon will migrate over to a new channel once that contract is up.

Disney will most likely leave everything else as is as long as it's making money and isn't in direct competition with one of it's other interests.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS