Photo

What can we expect to see for future releases?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

It would seem with the release of Wave 2 we will have the majority of the iconic star fighters from the Galactic Civil War.  Some have mentioned 3 other likely canidates for Wave 3.

They include:

B-Wing

Tie Bomber

Imperial Shuttle

I am no Star Wars expert especially when it comes to stuff outside the movies, but that seems like it would pretty much complete the list for star fighters.

Obviously they can reach back to the Clone wars and that opens up a realm of possibilities, but still a limited amount unless there is a whole alter universe in books that I am not aware of.

I guess my fear is that by giviing us six great ships in Wave 2 is FFG shortening the active lifespan of this game?  What else can we expect that I am missing?

I really like X-wing, but one thing I have learned with miniature games similar to this is that if there is not new product to excite the fan base that people tend to move on to other things no matter how good the core game is.

Thoughts?

#2 Sanguinary Priest

Sanguinary Priest

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

afilter said:

It would seem with the release of Wave 2 we will have the majority of the iconic star fighters from the Galactic Civil War.  Some have mentioned 3 other likely canidates for Wave 3.

They include:

B-Wing

Tie Bomber

Imperial Shuttle

I am no Star Wars expert especially when it comes to stuff outside the movies, but that seems like it would pretty much complete the list for star fighters.

Obviously they can reach back to the Clone wars and that opens up a realm of possibilities, but still a limited amount unless there is a whole alter universe in books that I am not aware of.

I guess my fear is that by giviing us six great ships in Wave 2 is FFG shortening the active lifespan of this game?  What else can we expect that I am missing?

I really like X-wing, but one thing I have learned with miniature games similar to this is that if there is not new product to excite the fan base that people tend to move on to other things no matter how good the core game is.

Thoughts?

You've pretty much already hit the unannounced but likely no-brainers of the next wave when it comes to ships we've seen in the actual original trilogy.  After that the two big choices are to continue in the current Galactic Civil War era with EU ships (TIE Defenders and Advanced for instance), do repaints of already released ships, or to switch over to the Clone Wars.  I'd probably be fine with either Clone Wars or EU but definitely not repaints this early in the game as it would feel like a DVD "special edition" double dip personally for me.

#3 Gravis

Gravis

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I personally would prefer that the game stick to the Galactic Civil War era.  Tie Bomber and B-wing are given, imperial shuttle is a possibility (but kinda lame if you ask me).  I could see them re-releasing models and providing new upgrade and pilot cards with them, at some point.  It's also wishful thinking (very wishful, I'm not going to hold my breath) that they go just one step bigger with something like a Corellian Corvette.  Although that brings me to a question I actually had before I even read this thread.  It has been a long time since I was heavy into the Star Wars lore, which is a good reason why I can't come up with any more civil war era examples for possible release; but what is the corvette class equivilent in the Empire?

#4 BarbariAndy

BarbariAndy

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

I would really like to see the Z-95 Headhunter.

#5 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

BarbariAndy said:

I would really like to see the Z-95 Headhunter.

I would expect to see the Z-95 in maybe wave 4, It could be 'paired' with the Assault Gunboat.

You also could have mission packs with models that are relevant for certain missions, more freighters / transports for example.

Keep going further into EU and you could have TIE Defenders, E-Wings, T-Wings, Missile Boats

#6 Sanguinary Priest

Sanguinary Priest

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

I like the idea of opposites in a wave if they included the z-95 for the rebels and the Tie-Defender for the imperials.  On one side, you've got a dirt cheap fighter for the lowest points in the army while on the other you've got the opposite; both armies need their respective niches filled (I have the same number of imperial and rebel figs and the rebs outscore the imps by around 30% points wise).

#7 Silver Crane

Silver Crane

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Skipray Gunboats and the Outrider would be good choices for large ships,  the Starviper fighter might make it as well (the same class as the Virago from Shadows of the Empire).  The T-Wing, TIE Defender and E-Wing are options as well.

#8 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I really hate to be 'that guy' but if there are only a dozen threads already covering this, then I have multiplied my count by a factor of two or three.  I usually hate when someone 'Trolls' a duplicate thread because someone, somewhere, a year ago had already started that discussion, but this has to have been repeated so many times, the Original Posts for this subject would be pages in and among themselves.  In the immortal words of Timmy 'I mean…c'mon…'

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#9 TCBC Freak

TCBC Freak

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just because I’m a nerd and we are dipping into the EU and talking about possibilities I‘ll add a bunch of option and then maybe some ideas I have about them if applicable…

Rebel:
(Why do I leave out the E-wing and K-wing? The E-wing to me isn’t as useful as it seems as it’s just a X-wing without the history. The K-wing is big and honestly just see the B-wing and TIE Bomber stuff I put. Also they are from the New Republic Era which gets kind of weird and falls out of the dogfight style that makes this game awesome, if I can be honest)
B-wing Starfighter - Honestly, people keep talking about the B-wing like it’s a given to come out, but I’m racking my brain on how you could accurately portray it. The gyroscopic cockpit, the heavy damage but even less speed than the Y-wing; it’s made to hunt larger ships, like corvettes and other small cruisers. Without ships of that size which I think kills the heart of the game, I don’t know if I see a real clear fit for the B-wing as it’s meant to be.
Z-95 Headhunter - A cheap fighter that was piloted by some great flyers, it saw action from decades before the battle of Yavin up trough the New Republic Era.

Imperial:
TIE Bomber - Kind of like the B-wing I see that it should be included, but without larger ships or some kind of objective based mission I just don’t know if it really has a place.
TIE Defender - Pumped up TIE fighter. Five times the cost in the lore and barely made before Endor and saw little use then or after. It has a bigger reputation than it deserves. But I guess it could fill a place for Imperial players who want to play more like Rebels with fewer more powerful ships.
Howlrunner Fighter - An average fighter that most might not think of as Imperial but it was used by the Empire to garrison planets up until after the Civil War Era when most of the TIE’s were destroyed, it could fill a roll in an Imperial squad leading some TIE’s in place of a TIE Advanced if it cost a bit less. And if they introduce a pirate faction or such it could be their main stay ship.

Pirate/Neutral?:
The Howlrunner has  fit here as well
The CloakShape Fighter - It’s an old ship but saw battle with pirates and bounty hunters into the civil war era. Relatively unimpressive at stock but with a lot of upgrade potential it could run up costs.
The Outrider (Corellian YT-2400 Freighter) - This one is for sure a maybe, because functionally it’s a lot like the Falcon type ships

Clone Wars Expansion possibilities:
Droid Starfighters and their upgraded variants - Cheap and weak (or expensive and hard) and fast, could use some kind of swarm or some kind of new “control mechanic,” to have effect.
Jedi Starfighter - Expensive and awesome, piloted by Jedi, such as Anakin, Saesee Tiin and Plo Koon
Naboo Starfighters - could be used with a few droid fighters to be the “basic game” for this expansion.
Republic Fighters

They could dip into the Old Republic too, adding the Edon Hawk, Sith fighters and Republic fighters.

I’ll not include the Yuuzhan Vong… so don’t ask

I wish I lived around people who actullay played games instead of just calling themselves gamers....

#10 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

I would hope as well that X-wing stays around for many years. I have seen many games like this come and go. But X-wing looks promising.

I would hope they go forward on ships instead of backwards. I would rather not have clone war ships , I am a fan of clone wars and have no hate at all for the ships. but this game kicked off in the Galactic civil war era ….after clone wars.. so I would hope they would procede forward with the ships instead of back stepping.  I would love to see them come out with the B-Wing or E-wing these two are my favorite Rebel ships.  I would also love to see the TIE bomber because man it just always looked cool to me. For me playing this game I cant just play the gmae as one faction I love alot of ships in the Star Wars universe. So its like pokemon I gotta catch them all. I honestly wouldnt worry about ship types running out. because they could always start different mods to ships, or different color variations. they could possibly make more pilot cards and ship stat cards. This game is stil new, and I think they can do alot with this game if they really wanted to. I wouldnt be surprised if there already planning on wave 3 and 4 ships now as I type this. The future of this game is wide open. I wouldnt worry.

#11 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

CaptainRook said:

I really hate to be 'that guy' but if there are only a dozen threads already covering this, then I have multiplied my count by a factor of two or three.  I usually hate when someone 'Trolls' a duplicate thread because someone, somewhere, a year ago had already started that discussion, but this has to have been repeated so many times, the Original Posts for this subject would be pages in and among themselves.  In the immortal words of Timmy 'I mean…c'mon…'

Sorry if I upset your sensitivies. (Rolling eyes emoticon).  I am fairly new to the game and did not take the time to scroll trough 47 pages of topics.

To everyone else, you have confirmed my suspicion that there are a limited amount of Galactic Civil War star fighters that most would recognize.  With that established how long do people thing the game can prosper.  My concern with FFG giving us 8 great ships in the first two waves that the game will have a limited run time without reaching back to Clone Wars which in my mind really becomes a new game then.

I am not crazy about the idea, but I do think there is some validity in the concept of repaints(Rogue Squardron for example) with new pilots and upgade cards intermingled with future waves. 

#12 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

I've said this in other threads but I feel like continuing the discussion here as well. I think the Civil War era could use B-Wings and TIE Bombers, plus a few independent ships such as the Cloakshape and the Headhunter. Maybe release Virago and Outrider as well.

However, if the game is going to continue to expand, I think it's going to have to dip into the Clone Wars stuff, and I'd welcome that. Believe it or not, I *do* want a droid squadron.

#13 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

bayruun said:

I've said this in other threads but I feel like continuing the discussion here as well. I think the Civil War era could use B-Wings and TIE Bombers, plus a few independent ships such as the Cloakshape and the Headhunter. Maybe release Virago and Outrider as well.

However, if the game is going to continue to expand, I think it's going to have to dip into the Clone Wars stuff, and I'd welcome that. Believe it or not, I *do* want a droid squadron.

I dont really want them to go the clone wars direction BUT I do think it would be awsome to see the clone wars ships in minature scale, and I myself would have a droid squadron :)

#14 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Again, sharing my theories in an expansion specualtion thread:

I think the Prequel will be a new starer set, treated like World War 2 for Wings of War. The rules set will basically be the same but the prequel fighters may have new upgrade possibilitites, card art, and factions to make them stand apart from their Galactic Civil War counterparts. Players CAN play them against one another, but the factions would not be designed to cross-connect. I expect we wouldn't see such a thing until around wave 3-5 were being pushed.

I think the K-Wing is a wonderful idea of a ship and would be a nice heavy fighter altenrative to yet-another-corellian-smuggler. When folks suggest the YT-2400, I only wonder "How is this ship different from the YT-1300?" Both of them are correllian smuggler ships without much of a difference, to me, except cosmetics. The K-Wing makes more sense to me as the next rebel heavy ship because it would be distinct enough to play differently from the Falcon.

The B-Wing and TIE Bomber are both bombers but honestly I think the B-Wing and TIE Defender are better matched against one another as heavy fighters packing a ton of firepower. The Bomber's counterpart should have been the Y-Wing, but FFG Felt like flying the TIE Advanced instead, leaving the Bomber the odd fighter out it seems.

For the Bomber, now that I've seen the utility of the Slave I's bomb, I can see the TIE/sa having a bomb slot and two torpedo slots, making them cheap minelayers or torpedo delivery systems for the Empire. Presnetly the only torpedo user in the Imperial inventory is Slave I… and that's only the Slave I itself since the other firesprays only fire concussion missiles IIRC.

My personal wishlist covers the TIE Defender, Assault Gunboat, and R-41 starchaser. The latter two aren't typically represented in the star wars universe and it would be nice to see them included. I can think of many uses for the Assault Gunboat, one of which being a cheap platform to deploy Ion cannons for the Empire (instead of relying only on the Slave I).

#15 AzulGato

AzulGato

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

I'd be interested in a parallel Hoth release.  Speeders vs walkers with the same game mechanic.  Obviously not an expansion that could be incorporated into the regular game, but certainly something that would get FF my money.

EDIT - the more I think about the visual of floating AT-ATs the less I'm convinced they couldn't be incorporated into space battles.  Asteroids that shoot.  I want to see that on a movie screen - Disney, are you on this forum?

#16 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Norsehound said:

Wing is a wonderful idea of a ship and would be a nice heavy fighter altenrative to yet-another-corellian-smuggler. When folks suggest the YT-2400, I only wonder "How is this ship different from the YT-1300?" Both of them are correllian smuggler ships without much of a difference, to me, except cosmetics. The K-Wing makes more sense to me as the next rebel heavy ship because it would be distinct enough to play differently from the Falcon.

Norsehound, you inspired me, and took this as a challenge.  You had a very good point, that the differences are 'marginal', so I went a little crazy and analyzed this a bit too much.  If you're interested in a lengthy read, I constructed this breakdown to see if the YT-2400 had a place in the design of the game outside of the fact it's a 'neat ship' cosmetically.  I did my best.

http://afewmaneuvers...c.php?f=9&t=591

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#17 AlKusanagi

AlKusanagi

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

There are dozens of ships to be found in the post Return of the Jedi EU, which can be drawn from the novels, comics, role playing game books, and video/computer games, without them having to go backwards to the Clone Wars. I do imagine there might be a seperate Clone Wars branded version of the game, but I wouldn't count out that EU stuff, unless their license is specifically limited to X number of products and then it's over.

#18 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

a B-wing will make me happy

or maybe a YT-2400

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#19 yellperil

yellperil

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

This may be a bit off topic, please excuse me if it is.

I would like to see a new damage card for droids . . . "I've lost R2!"

There are cards for pretty much every other aspect except that.

#20 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Droids are only used on two of the eight ships released in the game so far. What happens if you draw a droid damage card for a ship that doesn't have one?

It's a commendable effort Rook, but I still don't think FFG will release the outrider this soon after the Falcon. They're too similar in too many ways, and I think FFG and Rebel play balance is better served with a ship more distinct than that.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS