Rate this 3 ship Rebel build (Wave 2)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I know I said wave 2, but it is a 3 X-wing build making good use (I think) of the new cards that come with the Falcon and Slave 1.

Biggs - R2-F2, Stealth Device

Luke - R2-D2, Draw thier Fire

Wedge - R5-D8, Expose

How I would play it:

Biggs with this build has 4 green dice standard (until he gets hit and loses the stealth device). He then still has 3 standard, with Luke able to take any criticals he suffers (which Luke will take on his shield with Draw their fire and then regenerate with R2-D2). That should keep Biggs alive long enough for Luke and Wedge (especially using Expose each turn) to wreak some pretty serious Havoc.

Thoughs? Suggestions?  I added R5-D8 to Wedge more because I had 3 points left then any particular other reason. Any other thoughts for these points?

.............._____________________
|------------/_____________________\ #RIPHughsey #408 #63notoutforever
|------------\_____________________/ #putoutyourbats #staystrongseanabbott

#2 Shanturin

Shanturin

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Well, I'm not convinced on Wedge with Expose - since it's an action, you're not getting Focus and only occasionally a Target Lock, so in case of a bad roll you can do nothing about it (though shooting 5 vs 2 at Range 1 against Imps sound really great :D ). I'd suggest changing R5-D8 to K6 as it lets you benefit from Target Lock's more often.

The other part of this squad looks really great though. 4/5 Agility diced Biggs is a real pain for Imperials, and placing Draw Their Fire on Luke stops them from getting lucky with Direct Hits when Stealth is down. This combo, while carrying a usual firepower of X-Wings should get Wedge enough time to wreak ultimate havoc :P

All in all, that's one of the most intresting Wave2-including list I've seen, and I'm definately going to give it a try :)

May my blade be sharp. May I sculpt a new fate for my enemies.

#3 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Shanturin said:

Well, I'm not convinced on Wedge with Expose - since it's an action, you're not getting Focus and only occasionally a Target Lock, so in case of a bad roll you can do nothing about it (though shooting 5 vs 2 at Range 1 against Imps sound really great :D ). I'd suggest changing R5-D8 to K6 as it lets you benefit from Target Lock's more often.

Good thinking, I'll make that change for K6.

What do you think about Marksmanship? The other option is to give him a torpedo for the first pass.

The other thought I had was using Wedge with R2-D2 and Draw their fire. That will allow me to field Garven instead and have a torpedo.

Hows this look:

Garven - R2 Astromech, Proton Torpedo

Wedge - R2-D2, Draw Their Fire, Proton Torpedo.

Garven's ability has better group synergy then Luke and you still have the impossible to kill Biggs

#4 Shanturin

Shanturin

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Well, dropping Expose and astromech for torps and Marksmanship was my first thought, but then I get the K6 idea. If Biggs holds 2-3 rounds of combat you should probably get more profit of Expose than torps, especially if you'd keep short distance.

Switching Luke to Garven… well, thats an option too, though I always have bad luck with him and usually avoid fielding him (but that's just personal thing) :P Actually, I made a quick list with him:

Total Squad Points: 99

Pilot: Biggs Darklighter
X-Wing (25)
Upgrades:

• R2-F2 (3)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Garven Dreis
X-Wing (26)
Upgrades:

• Proton Torpedoes (4)

Pilot: Wedge Antilles
X-Wing (29)
Upgrades:   
   Draw Their Fire (1)
   Proton Torpedoes (4)
   R2-D2 (4)

You get 2 Torps, a great tank and possibly a defensive Focus on Biggs (without Swarm Tactics placing it on Wedge is pointless)… Well, I'd still go with Luke - since you're not going to use Focus on Wedge you're getting somewhat the same firepower and lower tankiness. 

May my blade be sharp. May I sculpt a new fate for my enemies.

#5 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

Shanturin said:

Well, dropping Expose and astromech for torps and Marksmanship was my first thought, but then I get the K6 idea. If Biggs holds 2-3 rounds of combat you should probably get more profit of Expose than torps, especially if you'd keep short distance.

Switching Luke to Garven… well, thats an option too, though I always have bad luck with him and usually avoid fielding him (but that's just personal thing) :P Actually, I made a quick list with him:

Total Squad Points: 99

Pilot: Biggs Darklighter
X-Wing (25)
Upgrades:

• R2-F2 (3)
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Garven Dreis
X-Wing (26)
Upgrades:

• Proton Torpedoes (4)

Pilot: Wedge Antilles
X-Wing (29)
Upgrades:   
   Draw Their Fire (1)
   Proton Torpedoes (4)
   R2-D2 (4)

You get 2 Torps, a great tank and possibly a defensive Focus on Biggs (without Swarm Tactics placing it on Wedge is pointless)… Well, I'd still go with Luke :P 

Using Garven would be for exactly that, a defensive focus on Biggs. Because F2 is an action, the bonus die comes at the cost of focus, so Garven would give him that.

I will try both and let you know.

#6 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

Well, having played a few test games, it is looking like Luke is better in the role then Garven, as it allows you to put an offensive minded Pilot upgrade on Wedge, rather then using him for Draw their fire.

My Games centre is going to hold another tournament in January, with Wave 2 ships legal for those that won them at the KRT, so here's what i'll take:

Luke - R2-D2, Draw Their Fire

Wedge - Marksmanship, Proton Torpedoes

#7 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

godofcheese said:

Well, having played a few test games, it is looking like Luke is better in the role then Garven, as it allows you to put an offensive minded Pilot upgrade on Wedge, rather then using him for Draw their fire.

My Games centre is going to hold another tournament in January, with Wave 2 ships legal for those that won them at the KRT, so here's what i'll take:

Luke - R2-D2, Draw Their Fire

Wedge - Marksmanship, Proton Torpedoes

For those points on Wedge, I'd go with Push The Limit + R2 Astromech. The ability to pick up Target Lock and Focus on the same turn is going to make him a monster. And you've also got 3 points left over, which is enough for a second Stealth on either Luke or Wedge.

#8 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

I would never, ever, ever, ever put Draw Their Fire on wedge Antilles.  Ever.  

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#9 SaintGordon

SaintGordon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

CaptainRook said:

Same thought here.

Wedge will be primary target anyway.

#10 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

It's a natural extension of his Pilot Talent. ;)

#11 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

SaintGordon said:

CaptainRook said:

Same thought here.

Wedge will be primary target anyway.

Not with Biggs on the board.

It's just a pitty that Wedge and Luke are the only X-Wing pilots to have elite pilot talents.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS