• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Raksha

Raksha

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hello all

I have recently joing a RPG comunity at my local university, and they have had an intresting idea i thourt i would share

They are consdrig runing two rouge trader games agiens each other, so each of the two groups could effect each others profit factors.

The basic idea is run both games at about mid level 40 ship points 50 profit factor befor CC and then work out where they stand and then race to make a profit factor of 100 (or what ever is more resonable) and if the oppitunity presents its self maybe kill the other party if they are in the same place at the same point of time.

any advice or thourts on this idea?

#2 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

It's a neat concept, and I think it'd work better in Rogue Trader than most systems, since the world is big enough that you'd probably never be in the awkward position of having to GM two groups at once, but the Rogue Traders are big enough to cause ripple effects that the other experiences. "Oh no, some JERK bought all the lasrifles in the sector! Where the hell are we going to get weapons for our army NOW?" sort of thing

#3 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Campaign ideas like this are far from uncommon, in fact they work well. But they do need some rigid guidelines - a common goal for both groups to work towards and some framework within which to do it. For example a common theme i have seen crop up over the years is that of a sort of race between rogue traders. Each one is given something to transport and must get it to the destination (usually a player across the sector). This then leaves the players with choices to try extended warp travel (risky), try and rush their out of warp (tedious and many stations/patrols to go through) or just directly attack the other players.

Most important i think is whether there is one GM running the groups alternatingly or are their multiple GMs? If multiple, then they need a proper game plan with contingencies all mapped out so that they are running games from the same book, so to speak.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#4 Raksha

Raksha

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

The plan is to have two diffrent gms runing the game's  were going to make a 10 by 10 inch map with the worlds on it and state what they are  so we know whats going on with them and what kind of trade we can genrat.

the idea then is say plant a is a resouce would  and plant b is a forge would then the rouge trader can get a 5 point incres with a grand ender 

so lets say rouge trader b fineds plant c another resouce world and finds the above mention forge would he could negtioa a better deal and get 4 points and knocking the other group back to 0 points if you get a jist of the idea 

we would be throwing in some other random ideas like speding points on an assassin  and were planing on having a large space hulk  randomly turn up in sectors via dice rolls 

#5 Autarkis02

Autarkis02

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I did this in a Black Crusade/Deathwatch game.

Basically, any time they did something exceptionally well in one game, it messed with the other.  Deathwatch located an ancient forge for constructing plasma weapons?  Excellent.  The Crusade loves you.  Also, Chaos has to deal with plasma weapons popping up everywhere.

Chaos minions topple a government in order to set it up for slaughter?  Guess what!  That planet was a useful lynchpin in the defense of the region, and the Tau/Heretics/Tyranids now have an easier target with jacked up support.

Both groups loved it for the unexpectedness, but I made sure they never met, because otherwise it ends with hurt feelings and BS.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS