• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Having played my first game, I've decided that fate cards are very powerful tools. But one thing that really intrigued me is that they are activated from lowest priority to highest, and currently 2 is the lowest priority. What could possibly be a 1? Should it be more powerful or less powerful? Whatever it is, it will be able to activate even if A Twist Of Fate is played. I'm imagining one possibility may be a card called Preemptive Strike, which would allow you to strike with one of your participating units before normal rounds begin. In the event that both players played Preemptive Strike, the player who wins the edge battle would strike with all of their preemptive units, then the loser, and then it would go back to the normal rules for focusing units to strike.

Now that I've actually played the game, I'm starting to understand what sort of card abilities I'd like to see in future sets and it's super exciting! I can't wait to see what they come up with.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#2 Andur Saibot

Andur Saibot

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Budgernaut said:

What could possibly be a 1?

A Fate card that cancels the next Fate queued to resolve (even if it is yours, that's the thing) and, bye bye, Twist of Fate.

A Fate card that allows you to put cards back from the Edge Battle to your hand.

A Fate card that reduces the Edge Battle priority in your Fate cards and/or allows you to play one or more before your opponent's.

A Fate card that places Focus tokens on characters (they get somehow shocked before the Twist).

And… that's all for now. I am so eager to play…

#3 cpjolicoeur

cpjolicoeur

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

Andur Saibot said:

A Fate card that allows you to put cards back from the Edge Battle to your hand.

putting Edge Battle cards back in your hand sounds interesting and would be a nice effect, although the fact that you would reveal to your opponent which cards are now in your hand, might not make that worthy of being a 1-level Fate card.

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

cpjolicoeur said:

Andur Saibot said:

putting Edge Battle cards back in your hand sounds interesting and would be a nice effect, although the fact that you would reveal to your opponent which cards are now in your hand, might not make that worthy of being a 1-level Fate card.

I think the fact that your opponent now knows the cards in your hand makes it nice and balanced. If it's a 1, it would allow you to save cards that would be discarded by Twist of Fate before it takes effect, but however many you put back in your hand will be cards your opponent knows you'll have on the next turn. It sounds awfully powerful, though. There'd have to be a limit to how many cards you could put back in your hand. 

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I guess a Fate card that allows you to put all cards from the edge stack into play for the current conflict phase would be classed as overpowered too? 

comiendo

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#6 X7XsnowmanX7X

X7XsnowmanX7X

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I do believe the light side version of Twist of Fate has a priority value of 1.

I'm liking all the ideas posted about future fate cards.  An effect I'd like to see is that all cards that you put into an edge battle are shuffled back into your command deck instead of being discarded, but maybe as a draw back you would have to remove that fate card from the game after using that ability.  

#7 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

X7XsnowmanX7X said:

I do believe the light side version of Twist of Fate has a priority value of 1.

I'm liking all the ideas posted about future fate cards.  An effect I'd like to see is that all cards that you put into an edge battle are shuffled back into your command deck instead of being discarded, but maybe as a draw back you would have to remove that fate card from the game after using that ability.  

I was just going to say the Light Side Twist of Fate is indeed 1 so sorry to burst peoples bubbles. 

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Yes, I saw that yesterday but didn't want to drag this out of page 4 just to say that when nobody seemed interested. I was flipping through my cards and pulled a fate card with a 1 and had to do a double-take. Then I realized that every LS version of a fate card has a priority value that's one less than the DS version. I don't really understand the purpose of that yet, but to me, it was an interesting discovery.

--Count Dooku

#9 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Mechanically, when you think about it, the DS player has an advantage in that the Death Star counter moves every time its his turn, and twice if they hold the Force balance.  The LS player being able to ping one damage every turn doesn't really keep up with that.  So letting their Fate card activate first gives them another leg up.

Thematically, well, fate is on the side of the good guys.  It represents the idea that it's the spirit and determination of the underdog against the impersonal might of the Empire/Sith.

#10 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

I would like to see some fate cards with more impact from a flavor perspective. Like in the tutorial, the narrator introduces fate cards by saying, "you cannot escape your destiny," but I don't really see stuff like Heat of Battle and Target of Opportunity being on the level of…my *destiny*, if that makes sense. Twist of Fate is a bit more what I'm thinking of, but it's such an oddball already I'm trying not to count it yet.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS