Han Solo Question…

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 clique84

clique84

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

Just won the Falcon yesterday (yaay me lol), and had a question on the Han Solo pilot card.  His ability reads:  when attacking, you may reroll all of your dice.  If you choose to do so, you must reroll as many of your dice as possible.  I am not sure exactly how this would work.  Is that a one-time reroll?  Or, as can also be read, do I get to reroll more than once?  Or are you only "making an attack" once?

Example:  I am shooting with Han, and roll, and it's only one hit.  I decide to reroll, and it's the same:  one lousy hit.  Can I then reroll all of my dice again?

#2 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

clique84 said:

Just won the Falcon yesterday (yaay me lol), and had a question on the Han Solo pilot card.  His ability reads:  when attacking, you may reroll all of your dice.  If you choose to do so, you must reroll as many of your dice as possible.  I am not sure exactly how this would work.  Is that a one-time reroll?  Or, as can also be read, do I get to reroll more than once?  Or are you only "making an attack" once?

Example:  I am shooting with Han, and roll, and it's only one hit.  I decide to reroll, and it's the same:  one lousy hit.  Can I then reroll all of my dice again?

A die may only be rerolled once per shot.

#3 LifeKnight

LifeKnight

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yes, that's spelled out in the rules, another example is

Darth Vader Target locks a rebel, shoots and get's a miss, spends his target lock to reroll and it still misses, I can't then claim the Howlrunner reroll on any of those same dice.

#4 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

He essentially has a "poor man's target lock".  Target lock allows the shooter to reroll any dice they wish.  Han must reroll ALL dice he rolled. Obviously, if you roll all misses its a no-brainer to use his ability. If you roll 3 dice and get 1 hit, or 2 hits, you would reroll all three dice again (risking getting 0 hits or fewer hits than the original roll). 

Of course, the advantage is that it doesn't cost an action.

#5 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

dvang said:

He essentially has a "poor man's target lock".  Target lock allows the shooter to reroll any dice they wish.  Han must reroll ALL dice he rolled. Obviously, if you roll all misses its a no-brainer to use his ability. If you roll 3 dice and get 1 hit, or 2 hits, you would reroll all three dice again (risking getting 0 hits or fewer hits than the original roll). 

If Han is the pilot and Luke is the gunner, it also might be a bit more tempting to try Han's re-roll on just an average dice roll…say 2 hits but no crit, knowing that if you completely miss, you'll get another free shot with Luke in the turret….

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#6 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

dvang said:

The other advantage is that you re-roll after you know the result of the defence dice.

You roll and score 2 hits, they score an 2 evades, you may then choose to reroll knowing that you have missed anyway and may get lucky and roll 3 hits on the re-roll. (atleast you have nothing to lose)

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Wait, what makes you think that Han's ability is used after defense dice are rolled?  It looks to me like it would be used during the modify attack dice step, just like a target lock.

#8 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

dbmeboy said:

Wait, what makes you think that Han's ability is used after defense dice are rolled?  It looks to me like it would be used during the modify attack dice step, just like a target lock.

Yah, that's what I thought… aren't all attack dice and rerolls, modifiers, etc. done before any agility dice are rolled for defense?

Although that would be a cool ability… "When attacking, after the defender rolls their defense dice you may reroll one attack die". Subject of course to the "only reroll once" rule.

#9 gunslinger7827

gunslinger7827

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

That is, from what I understand, incorrect.  All attack dice are rolled and rerolled prior to defence.  That way you cant decide laterwhere to spend a target lock or not.  The defender only rolls was the attack dice have fully resolved.

#10 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

gunslinger7827 said:

That is, from what I understand, incorrect.  All attack dice are rolled and rerolled prior to defence.  That way you cant decide laterwhere to spend a target lock or not.  The defender only rolls was the attack dice have fully resolved.

Yep, agree with these guys. Nothing in Han's rule says it occurs after the defender rolls his dice, and the standard rules have the attacker roll and modify/reroll dice before the defender rolls.

#11 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

A closer read of the rules shows that you are correct, and I have been playing it wrong.

It also means that everyone at my KRT on the weekend was playing it wrong. I guess that is siomething that we need to fix up as a group.

Thanks all for pointing it out.

#12 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Considering Lando is the pilot of the Falcon for the offical KRT, you shouldn't have needed to worry about Han's ability during the KRT.  <grin>

But, I have heard a few people mention that they didn't use the approved lists for the final.

Personally, I loved Lando's ability. I was able to get a round 2 attack with my A-Wing w/homing missile. He chose Target lock, and Lando allowed him to also focus.

#13 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

dvang said:

Considering Lando is the pilot of the Falcon for the offical KRT, you shouldn't have needed to worry about Han's ability during the KRT. 

But, I have heard a few people mention that they didn't use the approved lists for the final.

Personally, I loved Lando's ability. I was able to get a round 2 attack with my A-Wing w/homing missile. He chose Target lock, and Lando allowed him to also focus.

We did this at ours, because our TO recieved the lists on a pdf, which he couldn't find  (his printed copy) and for some reason wouldn't open (his electronic copy), so he said we could use any list we liked, as long as we stuck to the 100 pt squad building rules, only selected from the cards out of the new boxes, and used all 3 ships.

#14 rmdecal

rmdecal

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Okay so I actually think everyone has it wrong here.  The rule book does say you can only reroll once, but it also says "While a ship has at least one stress token, it cannot execute red maneuvers or perform any actions (even free actions)."...yet anyone that has played the game with Tycho knows that they "break" that rule b/c it is Tycho's special ability and he performs actions even when stressed.  Why is this not the same logic here?  The normal rule for everyone not named Han Solo is you can only reroll their dice one time, but his special ability trumps the rule the same way Tycho's trumps the normal stress rule.  I mean we are talking level 9 Han Solo people!!!! Han can reroll his dice and then use target lock too!

#15 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

Okay so I actually think everyone has it wrong here.  The rule book does say you can only reroll once, but it also says "While a ship has at least one stress token, it cannot execute red maneuvers or perform any actions (even free actions)."...yet anyone that has played the game with Tycho knows that they "break" that rule b/c it is Tycho's special ability and he performs actions even when stressed.  Why is this not the same logic here?  The normal rule for everyone not named Han Solo is you can only reroll their dice one time, but his special ability trumps the rule the same way Tycho's trumps the normal stress rule.  I mean we are talking level 9 Han Solo people!!!! Han can reroll his dice and then use target lock too!

Two problems with this.

First, the general issue - while abilities trump rules, they do it only in the case of specific conflicts, where they explicitly override the rule in question.  Consider Krassis - Krassis rerolls a die with a secondary weapon.  That doesn't explicitly override the one-reroll-per-die rule, so I can't spend a target lock to reroll all my dice and then use Krassis to reroll a die again.

Second, Han's ability actually (redundantly) limits you to rerolling "as many of your dice as possible."  Not the as possible in there.  So even if we assume that any reroll ability overrode the basic rule, Han wouldn't, because it's explicitly limited to dice you're allowed to reroll.

• Drakhan Valane likes this

#16 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

Which translates to "only dice you haven't rerolled already this attack."
  • Drakhan Valane likes this

#17 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

I actually use target lock with Han on occasion.  Is it a little redundant?  Sure.  But it also gives you the flexibility to decide if you want to reroll some or all of the dice.  If you've got one blank and you really need to squeeze out another hit, crit, or eyeball to lock in a likely hit or kill, meh, spend the target lock.

You can use Han's ability every time you attack (once), and if you use Han, it's not like the target lock is going anywhere, unless you kill the guy.  And if you killed him it's kind of a positive problem to have.

It's not usually my FIRST choice of action, but I use it a fair amount, because how often have you rolled a crit, a blank, and an eyeball with Han and really wished you didn't have to hope the crit landed solo or reroll it? 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS