40K/FFG Really needs to understand or settle on how Astropaths Work

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 lurkeroutthere

lurkeroutthere

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

So Navis Primer is finally up for purchase on drivethru, so I started reading it.

"But such communications are far from conventional, transmitting not words, but notions, emotions, and impressions. Even the strongest of astrotelepathic signals is little more than ritual and might very well cost the sender and the recipient their very souls."

Lets set aside for a moment a question on whether or not you could have a galaxy spaning empire without some form of FTL communication. This view is actually completely conflicted by all the examples we see in both the novels and the printed text of the books where you have messages being sent by astropaths that's eventually decoded as plain text.

#2 Zoombie

Zoombie

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

I don't think astropathy is that dangerous, but I can see it being…images and symbols.

Like, you as an astropath are trained with the thousands of ciphers and codes, which you turn into images and symbols, then launch through the Warp (never know who is listening). Another astropath, trained in the same ciphers and codes, translate it into plain text and then give it to their masters.

So, you actually can double cipher it. An inqusitor can give an astropath a message in a cipher, the astropath turns that into the warp-cipher, then launches it. Then the astropath on the other end takes that, decodes it into plain text (which is ciphered) and then the Inqusitor's friend translates it into plain plain text.

I mean, all astropaths are trained on Holy Terra, so it actually makes sense for them to have a "shared" telepathic language that isn't actual text.

#3 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, as I understand it, if you tried to send "The orks are attacking!" as a single thought, you'd be lucky if they understood you. But if you just send "ALPHA. ALPHA. ALPHA. OMEGA. THETA." as five seperate messages, then it's much more likely that they'll recieve and understand you, which is why most of the printed intra-system messages we see read like telegraphs.

#4 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Actually Astropaths DO deal in symbols and imagery, with metaphor and subtext being their ciphers. The plaintext you see in astropathic communications is simply what they have decoded the messages into so that we boring, normal humans can understand it.
From the fiction in The Outcast Dead which happens in and around the Astrotelepath's HQ on Terra during the Heresy, i can be seen that at least half if not more of an astropaths training actually comes from the ciphers and decoding of messages and not just the raw ability to send and recieve.

FTL communication is something that simply does not exist within the imperium. The closest there is to it are the high powered Librarians of the Astartes whose telepathic communication allows them to instantly communicate across entire sectors. Of course this doesn't benefit the Imperium at large but it explains how the Astartes can continue to be an elite, efficient strike force despite being a mere shadow of their former selfs and without so much support from Terra.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#5 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

When role-playing an Astropath, when the captain told me to send a message, I would go into a trance pose and start mouthing everything he (and the person he's talking to) says in his message, saying the last few words in his sentence. For example:

Captain: "This is Captain Marcus Augustus of the Adeptus Terra. This is Imperial space. Identify yourself or be destroyed."

Me: "… or be destroyed."

This became hilarious when the Captain muttered something under his breath that he REALLY didn't want the other party to hear. Speaking with Eldar or Chaos sorcerers would cause convulsions, nosebleeds, and/or fainting.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#6 Plynkes

Plynkes

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Why would you be sending a message ending in "identify yourself of be destroyed" using astrotelepathy? My understanding is that such messages go to other Astropaths. Surely when using astrotelepathy you know who you are sending to. If you don't know that, how do you even know they have their own Astropath to receive the message?

Am I misunderstanding the whole concept here?

#7 Zoombie

Zoombie

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Well, you'd never use astropaths to communicate with anyone you can contact via the vox.

#8 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Zoombie said:

Well, you'd never use astropaths to communicate with anyone you can contact via the vox.

Unless you're worried that the vox signal is less secure than the cyphers of your Asropaths.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#9 Zoombie

Zoombie

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

HappyDaze said:

Zoombie said:

Unless you're worried that the vox signal is less secure than the cyphers of your Asropaths.

Then use a whisper-link. You know, direct laser communications. You can only snoop on those if you are directly between the two points (and in space, that's pretty hard.)

An astropathic message has - like all psychic powers - a definite risk and uncertainty. I'd take a machine spirit over that any day of the week myself…

#10 Plynkes

Plynkes

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

HappyDaze said:

But why would you encipher a message that ended "Identify yourself or be destroyed?" If you don't know who they are (and whether or not they have an astropath handy), why the hell would you assume they could decipher it, let alone receive it?

#11 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Plynkes said:

HappyDaze said:

But why would you encipher a message that ended "Identify yourself or be destroyed?" If you don't know who they are (and whether or not they have an astropath handy), why the hell would you assume they could decipher it, let alone receive it?

I wasn't tying my answer specifically to transmitting a threat, so I really don't have any answer for your question.

#12 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Zoombie said:

HappyDaze said:

Zoombie said:

Then use a whisper-link. You know, direct laser communications. You can only snoop on those if you are directly between the two points (and in space, that's pretty hard.)

An astropathic message has - like all psychic powers - a definite risk and uncertainty. I'd take a machine spirit over that any day of the week myself…

There's also the possibility that those you're trying to communicate with don't have vox. Not all xenos might have vox/radio technology (although most of the known ones seem to), but then you're still guessing if they can actually receive and understand astropathic sendings - especially across a language barrier.

#13 Plynkes

Plynkes

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

HappyDaze said:

I wasn't tying my answer specifically to transmitting a threat, so I really don't have any answer for your question.

Ah, sorry, it's just that those were the specific circumstances we were discussing, so perhaps I can be forgiven for not realising your comment was referring to something else.

#14 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Plynkes said:

HappyDaze said:

Ah, sorry, it's just that those were the specific circumstances we were discussing, so perhaps I can be forgiven for not realising your comment was referring to something else.

When I quote something and give a response to that quote, that's specifically what I'm addressing.

#15 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

Plynkes said:

My understanding is that such messages go to other Astropaths. Surely when using astrotelepathy you know who you are sending to. If you don't know that, how do you even know they have their own Astropath to receive the message?

Much of the time, I surmise the sender of an astropathic signal chooses the place, and hopes for a receiver. With such vast distances, and time being so wanky thanks to the Earp, you have no idea where anyone ever is. Say you wanted to reach the Inquisitor Council on Scintilla. They have astropaths, but any particular one might have had an incident, and blown themselves up, been killed through the machinations of others, been called away for another reason, or whatever. You really don't have a good way of knowing which Astropaths are in the Tricorn, at the time, and who will still be, when your message finally gets there. I believe you send to a location, skipping it off the heads of other Astropaths, as it goes, to maintain integrity, and it eventually gets to Scintilla, to the Tricorn, and to an Astropath of the Council, who decodes it, and takes it to the Council, or the Lord Sector, or whoever needed to know what's up.

Something I'm sometimes confused by, when the Horus Heresy happened, half of almost everything fell to the Ruinous Powers. They didn't JUST get way too many Space Marines, they got what became the dark Mechanicus, whole chunks of the Imperial Army, and many of the ships and vehicles that came with them. Since then, numerous other individuals have also succumbed to the taint of Chaos. How does Chaos have no "astropaths" on their side, intercepting the messages, who know the same ciphers? I'm assuming it's the Soul-Binding, in a more RP version than the as written mechanic, but I don't know, and with everything else Chaos also has, it's kind of odd that the one thing they didn't pick up was Astropaths, to listen in on the Imperium's messages.

#16 MorioMortis

MorioMortis

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

Well, almost 10 milenia between the Horus Heresy and the present day (and the fact that a non-negligible proportion of assests went traitorous during the Heresy) makes it probable that the ciphers themselves have changed, if not regularly, than at least after or during the Heresy (after all, what is the point of ciphering things if anybody who wants to can decipher them, which, after 10 000 years of using the same one in a galactic empire, could be pretty much any one with any psychic powers). This is without considering the importance of using different ciphers to stop specific individuals from decoding them (such as a rival's inquisitor or an eldar Farseer).

As for more psykers falling to Chaos, the soul-binding and conditionning of trained psykers means that only a very small proportion of lost psykers actually turn to Chaos, and Chaos, due to its own nature, is usually not a centralized enough power to maximize use of it's assets.

The stupid must be bashed upon the head with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are inflated with knowledge.

Words to live (and die) by : "I have officially Been out-rogue tradered!  As always, one must always assume that no matter how grand your plan is, it's never enough!" - RogalDorn1

#17 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

To reiterate my earlier point - astropaths do not just telepathically communicate over vast distances - that's more the realm of Eldar Farseers and Space Marine Librarians, heck even Psychic Inquisitors of great power!

Instead the astropaths of the Imperium are a combination of communication network (their psychic ability being honed to send and recieve messages over incomprehensibly vast stellar distances by piggy backing on eachothers abilities) ciphering system (the messages are sent as images, metaphors and concepts not as literal alpha-numerics) and deciphering systems (complex training regimens allow messages to be deciphered at point of recieving, or passed onto senior astropaths for further deciphering if their ability or security clearance isn't good enough).

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#18 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Indeed!  it seems to me that only astropaths at the sector-command level (i.e. the top astropaths in a sector) would have the ability, training, experience, skill, and security clearance to pull off direct, 'verbal' telepathic intragalactic communication (like the librarians, as Kasatka has indicated).  At the common lower levels, (vast) choirs of astropaths transmit, receive, code, and decode the mass of 'lesser' interstellar communications, which are metaphored and coded and cyphered.

And as fer Chaos…..the soul-binding ought to secure the astropaths from generalized corruption….but psyker powers *are* Chaos…..not hard to imagine that a demon of Tzeentch or Slaanesh might be listening to the soul-echoes on the warp-tides and cunningly decoding a vital secret or two…..but, being chaotic, they may not be able to make full use of it……

#19 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

lurkeroutthere said:

So Navis Primer is finally up for purchase on drivethru, so I started reading it.

"But such communications are far from conventional, transmitting not words, but notions, emotions, and impressions. Even the strongest of astrotelepathic signals is little more than ritual and might very well cost the sender and the recipient their very souls."

Lets set aside for a moment a question on whether or not you could have a galaxy spaning empire without some form of FTL communication. This view is actually completely conflicted by all the examples we see in both the novels and the printed text of the books where you have messages being sent by astropaths that's eventually decoded as plain text.

The Dark Heresy Rulebook also says that astropathic comunication is exremely vague. My question is, does this come from established 40K fluff? I'm not going to go digging through all of my Black Library books, but I could swear that I've read examples of word-for-word astropathic messages in canon sources, like the Gaunt's Ghosts novels…

#20 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I don't believe the claims that the typical Librarian is better at sending/receiving astropathic messages than an Astropath Transcendent. For most Librarians it might be a useful power to develop, but it's not their focus. OTOH, for almost every AT, it's their primary purpose.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS