Spells that can be "cast at any time"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sorkax3

Sorkax3

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

Help please! Can a spell that says "cast at any time" be cast after a player has turned in her trophies and still be her turn if the other person has not started theirs?

#2 Sorkax3

Sorkax3

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

the reason this became an issue is because the other player had a spell he could only play at the start of his turn to counter mine. Thanks!

#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Sorkax3 said:

the reason this became an issue is because the other player had a spell he could only play at the start of his turn to counter mine. Thanks!

No Spell can be used to counter another Spell, except Counterspell and Reflection, which can always be used in response to spellcasting.

The other player probably wanted to cast Destroy Magic or Magic Shell and the answer is NO, these Spells can never be used to interrupt a Spell that has already been cast.

In Talisman, Spells are always resolved one by one. You can't play a Spell to change the conditions that allowed the casting of another Spell, which has not yet been resolved.

#4 Sorkax3

Sorkax3

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I am still curious though if you can cast a spell that says that it can be cast at any time after you turn in your trophys and have it still be your turn. Or does the rule that states your turn ends after you turn in trophys trump the cast at any time spell?

Thanks!

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Sorkax3 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I am still curious though if you can cast a spell that says that it can be cast at any time after you turn in your trophys and have it still be your turn. Or does the rule that states your turn ends after you turn in trophys trump the cast at any time spell?

There are some game actions that make your turn end, as detailed in the Talisman Encounter Sequence. However, the Rulebook doesn't state that the turn ends after you turn trophies in; it states "A character may exchange trophies at the end of his turn". Which might be the same, but I'm not sure.

There's no exact moment that defines when the turn normally ends. I think it's just commonsense here. I don't have such problems in my games, because the next player usually starts managing his turn while the current player is still turning in trophies, or hasn't moved the Reaper yet. If a player has an urge to cast a Spell before the end of his turn, he should not wait until the very last second. Otherwise, he can cast the Spell during the other player's turn, considering his limit of one single Spell in another character's turn.

#6 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

What's the deal with casting spells after cashing in trophies? I mean, what spell are you casting that you'd only cast after cashing trophies when you could just as well cast it before cashing trophies (since it's cast at any time)?

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#7 Sorkax3

Sorkax3

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Dam said:

What's the deal with casting spells after cashing in trophies? I mean, what spell are you casting that you'd only cast after cashing trophies when you could just as well cast it before cashing trophies (since it's cast at any time)?

Well since it says CAST AT ANY TIME it really shouldn't be issue when a player decides when to cast since it's the player's choice as I see it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS