• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Theterrainstudio

Theterrainstudio

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

How are people using him?

Seen him in a ton of lists but not sure his purpose or whom he works best with - or what upgrades he is given?

Love to hear everyones thoughts - for or against him.

Cheers,

Shawn Morris

#2 Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I used Wedge with swarm tactics running close to Garvin.  Wedge swarmed Garvin.  Garvin went first, spending his focus token and giving it to Wedge who already had a target lock.

Wedge is a kiiller to begin with.  He is really nuts with both target lock and focus almost every turn.  If he lasts three turns like this and you position well, then he just killed 3 ships.  At least that's how the combo worked for me today.  Initiative helps alot, and also trying to wipe out the most dangerous threats each turn before they can shoot Wedge or Garvin at range 1.

#3 Theterrainstudio

Theterrainstudio

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Wondering about the synergy here?

Wedge Antilles + R2-F2 + Proton Torpedoes + Swarm Tactics (38)

"Dutch" Vander + R5-K6 + Ion Cannon Turret (30)

Garven Dreis + R5 Astromech + Proton Torpedoes (31)

I am thinking in tight formation.  Wedge can give swarm tactics to either Dutch or Garven.  They just say for example, Wedge chooses to use his droid as he has a target lock from the previous turn given to him by Dutch.  He gives swarm to Garven, Garven shoots and uses focus or gets targeted if Vader is around and gives focus to Wedge.  Wedge can then shoot with both a target lock, and focus he is likely going to do damage, while remaining somewhat defensive with his droid.  Dutch if he is lucky, can shoot and reacquire his target lock, likely repeating the process.  Worse case, he can give out a free one once a turn, if he doesn't reacquire he is likely going to be the optimal one to use swarm tactics on, as he can then ensure Wedge gets to use a target lock each turn.

Just some thoughts.

#4 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Theterrainstudio said:

Wondering about the synergy here?

Wedge Antilles + R2-F2 + Proton Torpedoes + Swarm Tactics (38)

"Dutch" Vander + R5-K6 + Ion Cannon Turret (30)

Garven Dreis + R5 Astromech + Proton Torpedoes (31)

I am thinking in tight formation.  Wedge can give swarm tactics to either Dutch or Garven.  They just say for example, Wedge chooses to use his droid as he has a target lock from the previous turn given to him by Dutch.  He gives swarm to Garven, Garven shoots and uses focus or gets targeted if Vader is around and gives focus to Wedge.  Wedge can then shoot with both a target lock, and focus he is likely going to do damage, while remaining somewhat defensive with his droid.  Dutch if he is lucky, can shoot and reacquire his target lock, likely repeating the process.  Worse case, he can give out a free one once a turn, if he doesn't reacquire he is likely going to be the optimal one to use swarm tactics on, as he can then ensure Wedge gets to use a target lock each turn.

Just some thoughts.

I ran something close today and won the event with it.  I went with more defensive bonuses with R2-D2 on Garven

#5 TimeLapse

TimeLapse

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

I been thinking of running Garvin in a falcon list lately, using the combo of duch, Lando and Garvin each model can give actions to other models. Remember that focus can be used defensively too, so even if Garvin is the last to act on your side he could give a focus to a ship that is about to be attack by 3 academy tie fighters.

This is the list i am thinking of running

List one A helping hand

Lando 44

-Nien Nub 1

Dutch 23

-Ion Cannon 5

Garven Dreis 26

Keep them all close, gaven and Dutch move together, Garvin first grabing his focus, then dutch grabing target lock and giving one to the falcon if in range. then the falcon moves focus and if it did a green gives a Target lock to Garvin who then goes before duch giving him his slightly used focus, 

#6 MadMac321

MadMac321

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Garvin allows you to give a Focus and a Target Lock to a pilot on the same turn.

Dutch gan do the same. With an R5-K5 and a little luck Dutch might be able to give two Target Locks.

Attacking with a Focus gives you a 75% change to get a hit and the Target Lock gives you a re-roll.  With Swarm Tactics, Dutch and Garvin provide good synergy for just about any rebel build. 

Their ability works at Range 1-2 allows a wider formation and there is less risk of collisions.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS