Photo

Ideas for a 4 player game in The Hobbit quests?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I've been recently trying to tackle the Hobbit quests, and for some reason I can't do it.  I've figured out though, that it's probably because I haven't finished off the Dwarrowdelf cycle yet.  Anyway, I have 1 core set, all the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, Khazad Dum, and Over Hill and Under Hill.  I'm trying to make it a four player game, because that way I can include all the dwarf heroes available to me if I wanted to.  I have some ideas, but I mainly posted this to see if anyone had any great ideas for good combonations of heroes or different cards. 

Thanks!

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#2 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Please see my updated post below.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#3 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

One challenge that you will have with four players against the Hobbit quests, is the riddles in the 3rd Quest. You pretty much need to be playing one or at most two sphere decks to have a chance of answering the riddles correctly in the 3rd quest. There are currently only 9 Dwarf heroes, which makes this tricky, but I guess you could do something like this:

Gimli + Beorn + Gloin: Tactics with splash of Leadership for cards like Campfire Tales and Second Breakfast which are great in 4 player games. Get a Song of Battle on Gloin to help pay for Citadel Plate on Gimli.

Dain + Dwalin + Nori: Spirit with Dain for quest buffing. This will include your cancels and threat lowering as well as Cram to make sure that Dain stays ready. Be sure to play Spirit Bofur to combo with Nori's ability.

Thorin + Bifur + Ori: Lore with a splash of Leadership. This deck will use Erebor Recordkeeper, Erebor Hammersmith, Miner of the Iron Hills as well as some healing. It's not thematic but with all of the card draw Protector of Lorien becomes amazingly powerful. This is where not having Dwarrowdelf hurts you because Legacy of During and Daeron's Runes are both excellent cards in this deck, the former of which is near-essential to an all dwarf strategy.

Thalin + Legolas + Bard: This deck is very focused. Quest every turn with Thalin and then use Bard/Legolas and cards like Swift Strike and Hands Upon the Bow to finish off the enemies that Thalin has weakened by questing. This will include Feint so to give breathing room before your ranged characters kill everything that moves on the counterattack.

Not perfect, but it's not easy to make this work for 4 players without Dwarrowdelf cards in your card pool.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#4 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thanks. I built some preliminary decks, and they were all mono-decks because I had four players.  We tried the first hobbit quest twice, and both times we lost, but the last time was very close, and we only lost because of one treachery card… Anyway, thanks again!

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS