Photo

Post your Kessel Run results here (especially if you won)

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'd love to hear what squads people ended up playing, and their final win/loss records (especially from the winners).  So, please post here after your tournament. 

May the Force be with you. 

4 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  2 HWK-290

8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 2 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle

#2 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

I went 3-0 playing the following squad:

• Vader + Swarm Tactics + Concussion Missiles
  • Tempest Squadron Pilot + Concussion Missiles
  • Black Squadron Pilot + Squad Tactics
  • 2x Academy Pilot

All three matches were mirror matches, with three modified wins. Of the players ahead of me, two had 2-1 records, but with full wins--which was a little frustrating, since my points didn't match my record. The winning player was the (other) undefeated guy, who's a friend. I'm fairly sure he played this:

• Wedge + Swarm Tactics
  • Garven Dreis + R2 Astromech
  • 2x Rookie Pilot

I think the most useful bit of intelligence for other players is that if you bring Imperials and are matched against a smart Imperial player, you should not expect a full win. Imperial mirror matches are slow, with multiple rounds passing where every ship attacks and no one takes damage. 

Imperial mirrors are also unforgiving of both maneuvering and tactical mistakes, particularly in the late game. My last opponent ran hothie's championship list from Worlds, with the Obsidian changed out for an Academy to gain initiative, and lost by 4 points in the final round when he maneuvered an Academy Pilot into Range 1 of my target-locked TIE Advanced. The game was that close in the first place because I launched Vader's missile at the mirror Vader, instead of targeting a more fragile and less evasive TIE.

The Rebels won the championship match. The 360 arc on the YT-1300 is brutal, and the Firespray couldn't get enough distance to make effective use of the Heavy Cannon; it turned into a slugging match, and the Falcon + Chewie is well positioned to win one of those.

Looking forward to the second tournament tomorrow… actually, later today. It's way past my bedtime.

#3 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Went 5-0 and won the Slave 1 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I

I took 4 acdemy pilots, mauler, backstaber, and howlrunner with detirmenation (saved her life)

set up in 2 rows of 3 on the side with 3 acdemies up front and going decending order of skill from the board edge in the second row with back staber somewhere random on the board

First game, I ran against a guy I demoed the game to and knew from the league. He ran something like Darth Vader with Clusters, mauler, night beast, dark curse, (some other named pilots)

I hit and killed everyone but vader, only losing Howlrunner to cluster missles. Time was called and I had won by crushing victory

Second Game, I flew against the Tie allstars. A player Ive never played against from a few hours away. we deployed in oppisite corners and  he flew straight up the side and kiogran turned, while I went straight and cut diagnolly through the astroids that I had found a nice trail through, I hit him where he didnt expect it. It was a slaughter fest. He surrendered at the end (time was about over and he had no chance of even making it a modified win)

Third game I played a guy running Darth vader and temptest with missles and 3 other ties I moved just enough to stay out of missle range one round 1, and moved up fast on round two which got me to get him to crash both Darth Vader and temptest into my acdemy pilots. While in this posisition I lost 1 acdemy pilot and destroyed Darth Vader and Temptest Squadron instantly… the rest of the game I relaxed on and made sure to not fly off the edge.

Fourth game was really scary, I went against the last undefeated player. He took the worlds team, however My rolls were much better then his. I took Howlrunner out first followed by the other nameless ties, leaving Darth vader last, which I ended up getting with 30 minutes left. while only losing 1 tie. I blame the success on good rolls and not having intiative which allowed me to see when I absolutly needed to use my focus.

5th game I took the slave 1 and focused on the awings first. then took out 4 sheilds of the Millenium falcon. (only lost one sheild on the slave) and proceeded to end the game since it was 2am, and he wanted to hit more kessals.

I got lucky because 2 of the top imperial players saw everyone but 2 players had imperials and switched last second. The guy I played against at last wanted to take an imp squad but also changed last second to rebals. I played against a couple really good players, and am glad only one game came down where I just simply out manuvered my opponent, however it was only because he faced Darth vader and temptest square against my double ranks (his only move to not crash would of been a straight 5 which would of put him past me)

#4 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

the time limit was only 60 minutes. had like 14 players too :D it was great just to see the turnout of 12 local and 2 visitors

#5 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I just wanted to mention that one of the fetaures I built into my Squadron Builder was to save wins and losses. Then, whenever another person makes that squad, they instantly see the squad's win ratio.

If you have a moment, it'd be great to get the Kessel Run win/loss data for your squadrons into the app.

Cheers

vs

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder or see the 45,000+ squadrons other players have created.

· I also have a page of my other RPG and board game stuff.

· Currently, I'm backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we've got to: Travels With Triplets.

#6 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

Sounds like a lot of Imperial lists going around and not a lot of Rebels. I'm leaving in an hour or so for our event here and still haven't decided between a 3-Ship Rebel build or a 4-ship build. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of Imperial Lists which makes me tempted to bring 4 X-Wings.

#7 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

Alamoth said:

Sounds like a lot of Imperial lists going around and not a lot of Rebels. I'm leaving in an hour or so for our event here and still haven't decided between a 3-Ship Rebel build or a 4-ship build. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of Imperial Lists which makes me tempted to bring 4 X-Wings.

I'm not sure of the exact faction breakdown for me last night, but it was pretty even. I just got unlucky with the mirrors.

#8 mylastnerv

mylastnerv

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

Our event is today so I'll post up the results. I'm running a 4 ship build for Rebels . . . . . so we'll see what happens. 

#9 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

For the people who have already played, what time did the event start and what time did it end?  And, how many players showed up?  Just trying to get a feel for how log the tournament lasted. 

4 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  2 HWK-290

8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 2 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle

#10 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

I went 3-0 playing the following squad:

• Vader + Swarm Tactics + Concussion Missiles
  • Tempest Squadron Pilot + Concussion Missiles
  • Black Squadron Pilot + Squad Tactics
  • 2x Academy Pilot

That's almost what I'm playing this afternoon. I have Dark Curse in place of the BSP.

#11 DekoPuma

DekoPuma

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

I played last night at the local game store in Bozeman. We had a good turnout with ten people total. It was a really balanced crowd, with four empire lists to six rebel lists. I played a six ship imperial list, Vader with concussion missiles and swarm Tactics, Mauler Mithel, and 4x Academy Pilots. First game vs Wedge, Garven, and the target lock Y-Wing was a modified victory. Second game was against a five ship imperial build with Vader, Howlrunner, and enough swarm tactics to give them all pilot skill 9. I got a full victory despite running out of time. Game three vs Wedge, Luke, and Horton was a modified loss (still zero points). Overall I tied for forth and won an A-Wing. I don't know what list got first, but second was two X-Wing and a Y-Wing. Unfortunately the store owner had the ships sent to the wrong place, but we should get the prizes today or Monday. The tourney started at six and was cleaned up by eleven, with three rounds. Prize choice went Slave 1, Falcon, interceptor, A-Wing, interceptor, A-Wing. I wrote this on my phone, sorry for any mistakes, this forum doesn't work well with my browser.

#12 Buffytrek

Buffytrek

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

Just home from the Bangor (UK) Kessel Run.

Unfortunately there were only two people who turned up :( but had a great time nethertheless.

As there was just the two of us we decided to play each side once to decide who played which side in the final, as we had both come with imperial builds initally and this would allow us to have a few more games.

My lists were:

Imperial :

Darth Vader - Swarm Tactics

Howlrunner

Academy plot x4

Purposefully ran at -3 points to get initiative

Rebel:

Wedge Antilles- marksman, proton torpedoes, R2D2

Garvin Dreis

Dutch Vander - ion cannon, R5K6, proton torpedoes

Ended up one all in the end but with my Rebel game it took 6 turns to kill Wedge Antilles thanks to R2 and his little magic shield regen.

All in had a great time at my first event :D, hope they do more in the future.

Beat learning point of the day is to avoid traffic jams in the middle of the board with 6 ships all touching bases.

Ps picked Slave one as my prize.

#13 sock

sock

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

i managed to win 1st place at my LGS, using 8 acadamy pilots.

i was the only empire player out of 8 people.

split into 2 groups of 4 T.I.Es, and attacked one x-wing at a time from the sides where possible, 

got some strange looks for choosing the tie interceptor as a prize though lol. i couldnt help myself.

#14 Ixamos

Ixamos

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I manage to grap myself a Millennium Falcon at my LGS KR event.

I was running a Rebel 4-ship build squad which consist of …

Wedge - R2 Astromech
Dutch - Ion Cannon
Rookie Pilot x2

It was an awesome event overall and we had a total of 10 players shown up. Wedge and Dutch combo really works well, Dutch ability giving Wedge the targer lock and Wedge itself gets a focus action. Absolutely love this build.

#15 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

I am jealous of everyone's prizes. Wish I made it out to an event today. :(

#16 sock

sock

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Surtur said:

they will be avaliable to everyone before you know it :)

#17 Ixamos

Ixamos

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

sock said:

Surtur said:

they will be avaliable to everyone before you know it :)

Indeed it will but it will be a long long wait :)

#18 elfholme

elfholme

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Our event started around 6:15 I think and ended at midnight.  We had 11 players (first round the organizer played, after that we had byes).  It was a pretty good mix of Imps and Rebels.

My squadron was Vader with Concussion Missiles, Swarm TActics, Mauler Mithel and 5 APs. 

I played a very nice player named Matt in round 1.  He had a Rebel squadron with Luke w/R2-F2, Dutch, Gold Squadron Pilot with ion cannon, Rookie Pilot, and something else to take it to 100 pts.  I focused on Dutch and took him out early.  I got a major victory, but only barely on points, and I think only because my opponent didn't know how to use his target locks.

Second round I played a friend of mine from the store who had more experience than I.  He was playing a 5 Imp Squadron.  Vader with Cluster Missiles and Marksmanship, Black Squadron Pilot with Determination x2 and Black Squadron Pilot with Marksmanship x2 (something like that).  He had bad luck with the Cluster Missiles against Mauler (in other words, left him alive with one Hull), and I managed to take out a couple Black Squadron Pilots.  On the last turn I had his Vader down to one Hull and couldn't get him, and he took out an AP.  Modified Win for me.

Third round I got matched up against my brother who was using Wedge with R2-D2 and Swarm Tactics, Gold Sqadron Pilot with Ion Cannon, 2 Rookie Pilots.  I was hoping we wouldn't be matched up against each other and we could both make the top 4, but it wasn't to be.  I took out Wedge on the first pass and then mopped up.  Ended being a Modified Win.

So I got to the top 2.  My opponent wanted the Falcon more than I did (I wanted it and that's what I would have chosen, but he seemed to REALLY want it), so I suggested we split the top two ships up before the game (him taking Falcon, me taking the Slave-1) and then just play for fun.  So that's what we did.  He was playing Rebels in the tournament so got to play with the Falcon and A-Wings and I got Slave-1 and the Interceptors.  He won.  The 360 arc on the Falcon is a huge benefit, and I had terrible luck with my defense dice on my Interceptors, but he basically outplayed me.  We were both running into other ships (maneuvering the big ships is a lot harder), but he adjusted to the new ships more quickly than I did.

I was shocked that my brother and I both went 2-0 going into round 3…we'd only played 2 games prior to the tournament and had our sights set on 4th place and one of the smaller ships (I'm a big fan of Baron Fel anyway).  Luck definitely had a factor, but reading these forums helped quite a bit I think.  So thanks to the community for the help and advice.  I got Boba Fett!!! :)

#19 Sprenger

Sprenger

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I went 2-1 last night at the Covenant Store and took 3rd place along with an A-Wing. It was a great event and had a lot of fun. It was awesome to see the new ships in action and I can't wait to try out my new A-Wing.

Light Side: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 Hwks, 1 Falcon & 1 B-Wing

Dark Side: 6 Fighters, 2 Advanced, 2 Interceptors, 2 Fire Sprays, 2 Bombers, 1 Shuttle

#20 Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Went undefeated at Hard Knox Games in KY for the tourney win and a shiny Firespray. Ended up with five. Players, three Rebs and two imperial including myself. I ran the hottie Worlds list with a change of the obsidian to an AP for 99 points and the initiative, which came in handy. Tourney started twelve. And ended at 5:30. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS