Image theft?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I was on Facebook today and I noticed this advertisement on the side of the page (see below).  The ad is for a Facebook game called Stormfall: Age of War, and it uses art from the Lord of the Rings LCG -- namely, Boromir from Path of Need.  The game is developed by a company called Plarium, which, so far as I know, has no connection to FFG.  Unless they are both owned by some parent corporation?  Anyway, I thought I'd post here and see if anyone knows more than I do.  Is this copyright infringement?

#2 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I wouldnt make too much of it.  Facebook is famous for using images posted on facebook.  So if someone posted a picture of path of need facebook may have a macro that searched their database saw it and matched it to the ad.  Same thing happens to your friends.  If you see a friend of yours in an advertisement its because facebook is a bunch of D-Bags and that is how they opperate.

Someone once told me a good line about services once:  if you are not paying for the product its because you are the product. 

#3 Asterisk

Asterisk

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

But still they should really follow this up while the above is true, facebook games are/used to be notorious for using copyright material so they could get quick cash with very little in the way of effort.

#4 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Facebook will remove the image if FFG sends a note to them, but till then…

flightmaster101 said:

Someone once told me a good line about services once:  if you are not paying for the product its because you are the product. 

Good one.

#5 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I was wondering why that ad looked familiar. hadn't connected it to the card image. good spot.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS