• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

FAQ says:
Q: When monsters that move to the “closest investigator” are on a board with no investigators, how do they move?
A: They move towards the investigator with the lowest Sneak value on any board. First player chooses if tied.

Do the monsters move TOWARDS or TO the investigator? These are 2 completely different words with their own meanings. So, how is it supposed to read? I'm assuming it's supposed to mean that the monster moves TO the investigator with the lowest sneak, otherwise they'd have to list more rules to govern moving towards an investigator.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Yes, I agree with you on this point. Towards has no sense to me too. Besides, if you had an investigator on the board where the monster is, the monster moves directly to the investigator, so no reason why its movement should be changed.

I think a long time ago Brian talked longly about this; and probably - if my memory is still working - there could be something about Hounds of Tindalos in the Offical Answer sticky thread saying that "hounds can take the bus"? Have to check

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Yeah, it was in the KW Official Answer thread, reply n.1

Hounds of Tindalos (12/11/06)
Hounds of Tindalos should move between Arkham and Dunwich, yes. If there's no one in Dunwich and a Hound there moves, it should jump to the investigator in a location nearest the Train Station. (And as with Flying monsters, if that makes it exceed the monster limit, it instead goes to the Outskirts).

So, I'd say that that "towards" must be read as "to"

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#4 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Next request for clarification:

On page 3 of the FAQ under "Encounters that Close Gates" it says that gates closed as a result of an encounter do not provide the investigator with a gate trophy.  But then, on page 22, under "Other World Encounters," where it describes the Yuggoth encounter, it says that you DO take a gate trophy.  This seems to be a contradiction.  Can somebody please clarify this for me or explain to me what the difference between the 2 is?

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

I can't be of much help on this one, I'm sorry. By reading the two FAQ entries, it seems like the general rule is you may close, but you may not seal the gate. The Yuggoth encounter grants you the possibility of sealing the gate (hence, spending something from your possession) and the FAQ allows you to have something back (as if they're balancing the fact that you've sacrificed something)

#6 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

The Q/A combo on page 38 under "Other World Encounters" reads:

"Q: How does Gloria’s “Psychic Sensitivity” ability work with the Other World cards in Innsmouth?

A: Whenever Gloria resolves an Other World card that instructs her to “Discard this card and draw again,” she discards the card and draws two Other World cards that match the color of one of the encounter symbols on the Other World she is in. She then chooses whichever one of the two she wants."

This is still ambiguous to me. Is this saying that she draws 2 Other World cards total? Or draws an additional Other World card every time she is instructed to "Discard this card and draw again?"

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

MS,

I beleive that if she's instructed to discard and drawagain, she would draw two cards and select from among the three (the first card that matches the Other World location color and the two additional cards due to the second card stating, discard and draw again).

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#8 Thomas Cartwright

Thomas Cartwright

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

The Professor said:

MS,

I beleive that if she's instructed to discard and drawagain, she would draw two cards and select from among the three (the first card that matches the Other World location color and the two additional cards due to the second card stating, discard and draw again).

Let's say the first two encounter cards are A and B, and that B is "discard this card and draw again." I think it might actually be that if you opt for encounter B instead of encounter A, only then do you draw two new cards (C and D). At that point, you can no longer have encounter A, since you already selected B over it. You have to pick C or D. It's all very Let's Make a Deal.

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

T. Cartwright's interpretation is the one I would have concluded.

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Tibs said:

T. Cartwright's interpretation is the one I would have concluded.

Yeah, seconded. B needs to be chosen in order to trigger the two new cards being drawn

#11 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Yes, indeed…and that's a Hat Trick!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#12 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Musha Shukou said:

Next request for clarification:

On page 3 of the FAQ under "Encounters that Close Gates" it says that gates closed as a result of an encounter do not provide the investigator with a gate trophy.  But then, on page 22, under "Other World Encounters," where it describes the Yuggoth encounter, it says that you DO take a gate trophy.  This seems to be a contradiction.  Can somebody please clarify this for me or explain to me what the difference between the 2 is?

We're having some debate about this in our playgroup at present, but I tend to feel that it refers mostly to encounters like the Science Building's "Dimensional Beam Machine" and similar encounters. Most of these already state that the gate is not kept as a trophy, but the concensus seems to be that if you are able to close a gate that you are not a) currently at or b) currently in then you cannot keep the trophy unless the affect says otherwise.

#13 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

In LCG speak it's specific trumps general so "gates closed as a result of an encounter do not provide the investigator with a gate trophy."  Has the unwritten rule that all other have "unless instructed to by a specific card/effect/etc." I light of this being a FAQ where is seems more like contradictory ruling I would still assume the above to be the case.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS