Photo

whats your views on the A-Wing and TIE-Interceptor?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I looked at the video spoiler of all the wave 2 ships I love the Falcon and the firespray but the A-wing and the TIE-Interceptor seem meh compared to what we are running with now.  Does anyone see any pontential in the new A-Wing or Interceptor? does anyone see any sweet combos that can be aplied to these two. I belive someone mentioned in another post that these wont be ships that will have a cool combination like in the first wave.  I would love to see some synergy with the new ships , but im not so sure they were made to do this. I see them as hit and run ships.  What do you all think about them? see any potential in the new hot n freshness?

#2 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I love the new TIE Interceptors - in-close, at range 1, they will have 4 attack dice! That's firepower! And with the Stealth Upgrade they can have 4 defence dice - 5 defence dice at range 3! Now that's hard-hitting while being hard-to-hit!

I can't wait to start fielding Stealth TIE Interceptors!

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#3 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

I've made way too many posts already today, so I'll keep it relatively brief:

1) Soontir Fel + Push The Limit: Two actions of your choice per round and a free focus token for your trouble.

2) Soontir Fel + Elusiveness + Stealth: Good luck hitting him.

3) Green Squadron Pilot + Deadeye + [MIssile of choice]: Low pilot skill can mean problems gaining Target Lock due to moving early. Not a problem here.

4) Any A-wing or Interceptor: Move 5 on Round 1 and Evade. K-turn 5 on Round 2. Congratulations; you're now behind most squads from the Wave 1 metagame. If one of your ships is Tycho, he can probably pick up Target Lock here.

5) Saber Squadron Pilot + Veteran Instincts: You can field 5 of these things, with 3 attack dice and 3 evade dice, and they get to go before any non-named pilot in the game.

And that's completely leaving aside the Firespray and Falcon, and combinations of new upgrades with old ships. (Wedge + Expose gets 5 dice at Range 1, which ought to keep Falcon fans up at night.) Wave 2 is going to be awesome.

#4 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Turr Phennir's ability is INSAINE! At Pilot skills 7, he will be going before most things.

He shoots and then barrel rolls, or boosts, out of his opponants fire arcs.  The only sure way to get him will be to set up fields of fire, but that requires seperating your ships - rarely a good idea as a rebel player.

#5 Melkor503

Melkor503

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

From what I have seen, I am really impressed with the manuverablility of the A-Wing.  It will bring a lot of versitility to the Rebels.  The pilot skills and upgrades are also quite impressive.  They might not revolutionize the Rebels, but they should be a very welcome addition.

TIE-Interceptor brings a lot of pain for the Imperials.  Are they worth almost 1.5 Rookie Pilots?  Hard to say.  What I do know, is that I can't wait to find out!  The Empire having a ship that has 3 base attack it going to be so much fun.  Just watch those shields melt away, and then blast those Wings into scrap!  The various combos that can be put together with the Interceptor is just crazy.  I see the Interceptor bringing a lot of flexibility Empire list building, and that has me really excited for their release. 

#6 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Tie interceptors supported by Howlrunner with swarm tactics will be great.

#7 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

You can run Soontir, Turr, and 2 Interceptor mooks all with stealth. They start with 4 agility and 3 attack, before range bonuses (though if they take a hit, they lose an agility) and have Evade or Focus to use for defense. Scary hard to hit squad.

#8 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

Melkor503 said:

From what I have seen, I am really impressed with the manuverablility of the A-Wing.  It will bring a lot of versitility to the Rebels.  The pilot skills and upgrades are also quite impressive.  They might not revolutionize the Rebels, but they should be a very welcome addition.

Until now, we've only had two really viable options for Rebels at 100 points: 3-ship builds and 4-ship builds. (You can technically get to 5, but it requires playing Y-wings without ion cannons.)

Now, all of a sudden, you can play viable 5-ship builds, and there are a lot of them. That alone revolutionizes play for both sides: what happens in a match where the Rebels bring the same number of fighters as the Empire? No one knows, because it hasn't happened yet! But I'm interested in finding out.

#9 BigNateNZ

BigNateNZ

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

I'm a rebel player, and the interceptor has me VERY worried. Natural 3 Attack, is bad enough against my 2 agility X-wings, but against y-wing it's even worse, and even my Mil. Falcon would get nervous at the sight of more than one of them. I'm already thinking about picking up a Firespray and a pair of Interceptors for a bit of flirtation with the darkside (I hear they have cookies)

#10 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

One squad I looked as for the A-wing as a new 5 ship build was 1x Gold squadron w/ Ion cannon, 2x Rookie pilot, and 2x Prototype pilot, for a total of 99 points. Run the Y wing down the center and two flights of 1 A and 1 X on either side, chasing down stuff the Y Ions or just generally being menaces.

#11 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

BigNateNZ said:

I'm a rebel player, and the interceptor has me VERY worried. Natural 3 Attack, is bad enough against my 2 agility X-wings, but against y-wing it's even worse, and even my Mil. Falcon would get nervous at the sight of more than one of them.

Those are the reasons you should be worried. Here's the reason you shouldn't be worried: an Interceptor is 50% more expensive than a TIE/ln, and it has exactly the same agility and hull points. TIEs aren't exactly hard to kill, for the Rebels, and Interceptors won't be, either.

What it really does is shift the game for the Rebels, rather than necessarily making it easier or harder. A match with 6-8 TIE fighters is an exercise in attrition: the Empire can afford to lose a TIE every round, but the Rebels can't afford to lose more than one or two X-wings over the entire match. But a match with 5 Interceptors is going to be something very different. The Empire gets more attack dice with 5 Interceptors than with 7 TIEs, but those attack dice are bolted onto a smaller number of more expensive chassis. The Rebels are going to have to be more aggressive, hoping to outfight the Interceptors rather than simply outlast them, and meanwhile an Interceptor-heavy squad is going to have to adopt a style that's much more evasive and conservative than the best Wave 1 strategies for the Empire.

It's going to be a very different game.

#12 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I know im ready to try out the new ships.Tricked out Kath Scarlet paired up with a pimped out Soontir Fel and Howlrunner maybe be a potent mix, it would be fun to play.

#13 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

I don't remember their names, but I am excited about the TIE Interceptor Pilot who can take actions after he attacks, or the A-wing Pilot who can shoot at ships he is touching.

I agree with the general sentiment that these two new ships multiply the possibilities so much.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS