Photo

The Enemy Within, who's bought it, and what did you think?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

What's the content like? Actions, talents, locations, NPCs/monsters? Maps, handouts? New rules?

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

Still mulling - it's got me thinking "how I will run that bit" etc. which is usually a good sign for engaging me.  No particular scenes have jumped out at me and grabbed me as "that will be an iconic moment" but that may just be "because it's so much", a couple are rumbling around in my head and likely on their way to becoming "iconic".

It's big with lots going on in each "bit of it" which if handled right should give sense of "reality" in that you can deal with this but then that happens and if you were over there dealing with that then this happens - heroes can't be everywhere at once etc. (it actually says at one point, let that happen and just reccyle some of those other things another time in your game). 

My main critique after I finished reading it was that some things it raises aren't addressed (as they are not core to the through line of plot) but putting stuff in on those would make it "even bigger and more complicated, and if tied to through line would make that even more complicated" so maybe forgive those points (if this was 1000 Thrones, would all call for Expansions) and the Old World is full of "never resolved" issues that provide grist for "the next adventure". 

So it's way more complex etc. than Gathering Storm. It's not got that awkward "so how does this get rolling really" issue of the Edge of Night.  It's much better integrated than earlier edition big campaigns (where you could really tell when one writer stopped and other started).

There are no PC actions (depending on whether you have other expansions already, some cards from them for NPCs in case you dont) or talents.  I smiled reading some of the monster actions "a mechanical reason for a villain to do that cheesy thing!" and grinned evilly reading the big bad's special abilities.  There are "old friends" in terms of people (using term loosely) and events of warhammer canon showing up. 

I think I mentioned the travel rules which have some elements I very much like.  Not sure I will completely abandon my houserules but they will become "variants of this approach" if I keep them.  That's really the only "new rule concept".  It uses stuff from all the other expansions.  It doesn't use creature and NPC group sheets much that I can see - and there is definitely some potential to use them.

That's about all I can say outside of GM forum.

Rob

#3 Replicant253

Replicant253

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

So is this an entirely new storyline drawing on the themes and inspiration from the orginal, or is it a 3rd edition re-write of the orginal?  I am hoping the latter as i have never played the orginal but from the posts i have seen it is suggesting the former.

Thanks

#4 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

It's completely original.  There are references to some elements of the original, enough so it doesn't commit that "all that happened" but if you wanted to have much of it have happened "yes it did" as in "some years ago this cult had a plot that was frustrated by a group of heroes".  None of that is critical to the current plot.

#5 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Oh to answer a couple more original questions.

There are small handout sepia coloured maps of "parts" of cities that the adventure takes place in.  No spoiler to use as example, "part of Averheim".  There is  map of empire (2 pages) in the book that I haven't seen before and I think I've seen most of the maps that float around.  There's a 2522 calendar but I beleive it's also been printed in one of the box set booklets.

There are a smaller number of other handouts or play aids in card form.  Not a great deal (e.g., by the standard of some earlier edition work that had pages of handouts, NPC letters etc.).  For example there's a pamphlet mentioned that outlines views of some things about with a sidebar of what the pamphlet says.  That would make a nice "in game document handout" that I may end up creating.

#6 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Travel rules,eh? That sounds worth while and something lacking in other sets. A bit of an odd place to put it, but I'll take it :-)

#7 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

The "rules for journeys" are 1 page, though that's the framework, encounters etc. for specific journies are obviously additional to each.  They are in concept much like the One Ring game and are stated as optional.  I like them as lying between "handwaving a journey" and "playing out each day" and letting various skills dome into play etc.  This is not a "lets roll random encounters every hex of map" game system.

They could have fit before but do fit in a campaign with a certain amount of travel (like most big campaigns it's not all in one spot).

#8 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm reading through The Enemy Within now and absolutely loving it. Not sure how I'll feel when I finish, but I think there are some great ideas in here. 

#9 Dave Allen

Dave Allen

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

cparadis said:

I'm reading through The Enemy Within now and absolutely loving it. Not sure how I'll feel when I finish, but I think there are some great ideas in here. 

That is very nice to hear, so ta and such. Hope it all works well when used in anger.

#10 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

valvorik said:

…There are small handout sepia coloured maps of "parts" of cities that the adventure takes place in.  No spoiler to use as example, "part of Averheim".  There is  map of empire (2 pages) in the book that I haven't seen before and I think I've seen most of the maps that float around.  There's a 2522 calendar but I beleive it's also been printed in one of the box set booklets…

So, it is year 2522. That's THE YEAR when the Storm of Chaos (SoC) truly strikes, Archaon himself invades the Empire-lands… Is it there? Is there any timeline for the war events…etc.

From the beginning, when this project was published, I had few questions in mind:

• Is the SoC there? And is the war anyway part of the campaign (finally)?
  • Do Averheim information take count of other material published about the place in various sources. Like A Brutal Finish (Realms of Sorcery, WFRP2) and Black Library novels (Swords of Justice, Swords of Vengeance, Swords of the Emperor)
  • Will there finally be new maps about new places, like averheim !?!

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#11 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Ordered mine from FFG store, paid for 3 day shipping so I am hoping to get it Tuesday or Wednesday. 

#12 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

jackdays said:

valvorik said:

…There are small handout sepia coloured maps of "parts" of cities that the adventure takes place in.  No spoiler to use as example, "part of Averheim".  There is  map of empire (2 pages) in the book that I haven't seen before and I think I've seen most of the maps that float around.  There's a 2522 calendar but I beleive it's also been printed in one of the box set booklets…

So, it is year 2522. That's THE YEAR when the Storm of Chaos (SoC) truly strikes, Archaon himself invades the Empire-lands… Is it there? Is there any timeline for the war events…etc.

From the beginning, when this project was published, I had few questions in mind:

• Is the SoC there? And is the war anyway part of the campaign (finally)?
  • Do Averheim information take count of other material published about the place in various sources. Like A Brutal Finish (Realms of Sorcery, WFRP2) and Black Library novels (Swords of Justice, Swords of Vengeance, Swords of the Emperor)
  • Will there finally be new maps about new places, like averheim !?!

That's GM section stuff.  See my posts in GM section

#13 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Got my copy a couple of days ago. A lot of repeat cards if you already have them from other sets. But I am enjoying the read quite a bit!

#14 MaSc

MaSc

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

There are really a lot of repeat cards for completist and collectors like me. But the new and original cards are really awesome ("villainous monologue").The props are well done. Two maps as in Hero's Call. The bulk of the box is the campaign book with 192 pages of adventure. This christmas will be a feast for me. I enjoy the reading so far…

#15 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Just got it today and started the read. Wow! It is big, the prodcution is excellent, and so far the writing is intelligent, adult, and striking exactly the right tone. Excited!

#16 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

One thing I wished it had at the start of each book is a recommendation of how far in advancements the characters should be. I love the travel rules and there are several great encounters that should be a lot of fun.

#17 Mark Theurer

Mark Theurer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

Got mine in the mail a few days ago.  Been going over it and am running our first session later today.  Liking it very much so far.  I hope it's not the end of the line for WFRP3 but if it is it looks like a very good swansong.

Mark

#18 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

Isn't this supposed to start with new characters?

jh

#19 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

Yes.  It has some "if bringing in existing characters from other official adventures" text but is very much direct at starting new characters, creating them with features and backgrounds woven into campaign etc.

#20 Mark Theurer

Mark Theurer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

We are staring a fresh party with new charcters.

Mark

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS